LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Could Manny Lawson be an ILB next to Willis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by darkknight49:

This!
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
No
I say we play Nate Davis at ILB next year. Everyone seems to think he is superman so why not
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I think you try it in the offseason...and he should be open to it because if he isn't he could possibly see his playing time diminish.
I think Manny Lawson will be traded for a 3rd or 4th rd pick in the off-season
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

I think Manny Lawson stays and the team tries to do something with Harolson.
he's always on his xbox 360. i see him on whenever i go on !!!!
this is an interesting topic. I was just thinking about how he's not really shown an affinity for rushing the passer, but with his gifted athleticism he's still a valuable player. I wonder if anyone has considered making him a strong safety or something that more thoroughly utilizes his size and speed.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
this is an interesting topic. I was just thinking about how he's not really shown an affinity for rushing the passer, but with his gifted athleticism he's still a valuable player. I wonder if anyone has considered making him a strong safety or something that more thoroughly utilizes his size and speed.

He is not fast enough. He would be a good OLB in a 4-3 system.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sure, it happens all the time on 3-4 defenses. All 4 LBers in the 3-4 should be interchangeable, just like the two safety positions and CB's. The issue is that we don't run a real 3-4 defense. We use the TED position as a "defensive fullback" so that Willis is free to roam.

Lawson's weakness, despite the obvious, in the pass rush, is shedding blockers though he has played much better up at the LOS this year. Pass rushing isn't much different in that you must be able read and react, shed blockers and explode. If you want to watch something comical, go back and watch Manny against Philly. I don't think he got within 15 feet of the QB the whole game. Playing inside, he'd have to crash the FB, TE, guards, throw them to the side and fill gaps and at 6'6", he is just too tall to take advantage of the low-man-wins fact. He isn't very quick either so straight up, he's going to get owned.
That said, his strengths do include lateral speed and coverage "could" be a strength of his IF that becomes his FT focus as an ILB. He would be ideal in covering TE's & RB's exclusively off the LOS instead of having to use a CB.

Agree 100%.

Originally posted by backontop:

Nope, Haralson signed a long term extension last season and they got him at a pretty low salary while Lawson will be an UFA after next season
Originally posted by backontop:

Nope, Haralson signed a long term extension last season and they got him at a pretty low salary while Lawson will be an UFA after next season

Haralson is a backup player. He is far too slow to seal the edge.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
No...but Brooks should start over Haralson...Haralson sucks..
Originally posted by jreff22:
No
He's tall, not very powerful, and terrible at shedding blockers. So NO, I do not think he'd make a good Ted.

Manny doesn't make a ton of "wow" plays, but he's a solid starter for us. There is more to playing OLB in the 3-4 than simply collecting sacks. If rushing the passer were all any 3-4 OLB had to do, than Brooks would be our starter. The guy's not a bust simply because he's not a standout pass rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone