There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by susweel:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.

or how about you erase all that, and just put "we will not make the playoffs in 2010 because our OL sucks balls."

period.

want to blame smith? think again. i will be the first person to condemn alex smith as a QB, if he proves to be terrible AFTER we fix our OL.

common theme? Alex Smith has NEVER had even a decent OL to block for him. not once in his career. all you guys want to dogpile on smith and blame all your lives problems on him, yet you fail to see whats in front of your face.

Alex Smith drops back, and is immediately being chased backwards by 1,, 2, 3+ defenders. he barely gets the ball thrown away. instead of going "hey! where are those 5 ogre sized men that were supposed to be protecting him!?" you guys go "duurrrr! Smith sucks! he cant even run away from the defenderz!!!"

theres a reason Smith cant step up in the pocket and fire a accurate pass in. do you know what it is? ITS BECAUSE HES FLAT ON HIS BACK.

holy freakin crap guys. act like you know something about football. Peyton Manning would be an awful QB with a line like ours. its like this simple concept nobody can comprehend. when Alex Smith gets time, he looks great in the pocket, but it happens so rarely, people forget.

this^^^

Our line is good for about an extra second of protection, that's it.

If this problem is not addressed there's going to be effing blood.
Originally posted by taney71:
No where on your list is oline? Seriously the QB is rated a head of that?

check reason # 5

I have a hard time believing that you rank OLine at the last point of reason #5. Our Receivers are actually pretty solid. I don't rank them at the top of the league but they have alot of upside so shouldn't be taken lightly.

Still I can't swallow this bunk that Smith can't take us to the playoffs based on your assessment of his deep pass. Joe took us to the Super Bowl on short 5 yard slant routes and was quite successful at it. He proved also that he COULD burn the Opposition with the occasional Med and Deep ball passes. Alex is no Joe but I laugh at your reasoning as well as how you have Alex ranked as the #1 reason this team will not make the playoffs.

That's like saying the reason we won't make the playoffs is cause of our whiney fanbase.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

or how about you erase all that, and just put "we will not make the playoffs in 2010 because our OL sucks balls."

period.

want to blame smith? think again. i will be the first person to condemn alex smith as a QB, if he proves to be terrible AFTER we fix our OL.

common theme? Alex Smith has NEVER had even a decent OL to block for him. not once in his career. all you guys want to dogpile on smith and blame all your lives problems on him, yet you fail to see whats in front of your face.

Alex Smith drops back, and is immediately being chased backwards by 1,, 2, 3+ defenders. he barely gets the ball thrown away. instead of going "hey! where are those 5 ogre sized men that were supposed to be protecting him!?" you guys go "duurrrr! Smith sucks! he cant even run away from the defenderz!!!"

theres a reason Smith cant step up in the pocket and fire a accurate pass in. do you know what it is? ITS BECAUSE HES FLAT ON HIS BACK.

holy freakin crap guys. act like you know something about football. Peyton Manning would be an awful QB with a line like ours. its like this simple concept nobody can comprehend. when Alex Smith gets time, he looks great in the pocket, but it happens so rarely, people forget.

this^^^

Our line is good for about an extra second of protection, that's it.

If this problem is not addressed there's going to be effing blood.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by GEEK:
Reasons why we will make the playoffs in 2010:

Continuity on offense:
- While our general offensive unit may statistically impress, individual players have done a great job in Raye's system. Specifically, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree have been consistently impressive throughout the season. An additional offseason in the same system should allow this offense to finally take the next step forward.

Alex Smith's continued development:
- I think it's fair to say that Raye's offensive system is basically a dumb down version of Norv Turner's 49er offense, which is great for Alex Smith to digest and acclimate to the scheme. With the three main weapons signed on to the team for many years to come, Smith will have the opportunity to further develop the chemistry he has with these players, and the comfortably he has in the scheme.

Improvements of the O-line:
- If we can mimic the success the Panthers have had at their O-line, we have a chance to develop a potent and powerful rushing attack. This will help establish the pass, and lead to TOP victories

Very well said
After Chicago beat Minnesota last night, I am even more confident that the Niners are a playoff caliber team THIS YEAR. The Niners were'nt as good as Philly and Green Bay; but the Niners beat Arizona twice, and should have beat Minnesota. Yes they loss to Philly and Green Bay, both good teams, but we helped them beat us with stupid turnovers. Neither team dominated us.

I'll give you that they need to improve on road wins. I for one am not worried about that. I believe they'll get it done.

Niners will most definitely make the playoffs in 2010.
Originally posted by 49erAddict:

Continuity on offense:
- While our general offensive unit may statistically impress, individual players have done a great job in Raye's system. Specifically, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree have been consistently impressive throughout the season. An additional offseason in the same system should allow this offense to finally take the next step forward.

- I think it's fair to say that Raye's offensive system is basically a dumb down version of Norv Turner's 49er offense, which is great for Alex Smith to digest and acclimate to the scheme. With the three main weapons signed on to the team for many years to come, Smith will have the opportunity to further develop the chemistry he has with these players, and the comfortably he has in the scheme.

- If we can mimic the success the Panthers have had at their O-line, we have a chance to develop a potent and powerful rushing attack. This will help establish the pass, and lead to TOP victories

Very well said

Thank you!!!

I'll add that the defense will only get better..............
Don't we already have a thread dedicated to hating on Smith? This thread should be merged with it since the OP is simply using this thread to bash his QB.
Originally posted by sicc110:

Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #4

Reason #5

Reason #6

Please give it a rest until next season to start bashing my 2010 49ers. You did a fine job bashing the 2009 49ers. But how can you start bashing a product that isn't even out yet. It's like bashing the 2011 Ford F150 before it's even out. Give it a break brotha. Go Niners.

It's the irrational, sociopathic obsession with Smith. They just can't help it.

Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #4

Reason #5

Reason #6

i totally agree on what is written
Mark your words and mine : if we do not get a great draft (= we find two to three immediate starters) and we do not sign some meaningfull (read MEANINGFULL Scotty) FA's we're gonna finish 9-7 next year at best
Same team ? Same coaches ? Ok tell me why our problems that are well documented would be erased during the offseason ? Because you hope and believe ? Well that's your right but it won't help this team and you must then send a sniper to kill warner cos the cards would still be in front
I also think that we should develop Nate right now so when there will be no more room for Alexcuses (i'm probably dreaming on that one) he'll be ready to take off and we won't get the usual : "he hadn't enough time to learn the system"

Reason #1

yes i agree but , he did not start the season and the OTA so he can get on the same page with his WR & TE's and still has 17TD counting

Reason #2

going to be diffrent now cuz we have a better pass rush on 3rd down Brooks and Goldson devoloped nicely. and off season we are going to get a pass rusher and a RT

Reason #3

see above and they are getting better and used to each other.

Reason #4

Conservative i agree with you but he did not know what he had on O and the D still learning DC approch.

Reason #5

we only need and OL nothing else .
Reason #6

he Learned from paying 80 million ! so he is not going to go in a bidding war for someone. and he had no one he liked in the Draft that's why we have 2 this year cuz he did not like what was on the board last year. point is he will get the guys we need. wich is RT, OG , Passrusher & KR/PR and CB, SS of the future !

not going to add cuz i think we can make the palyoffs in 2010 !
Originally posted by 49Fever:

Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #4

Reason #5

Reason #6

i totally agree on what is written
Mark your words and mine : if we do not get a great draft (= we find two to three immediate starters) and we do not sign some meaningfull (read MEANINGFULL Scotty) FA's we're gonna finish 9-7 next year at best
Same team ? Same coaches ? Ok tell me why our problems that are well documented would be erased during the offseason ? Because you hope and believe ? Well that's your right but it won't help this team and you must then send a sniper to kill warner cos the cards would still be in front
I also think that we should develop Nate right now so when there will be no more room for Alexcuses (i'm probably dreaming on that one) he'll be ready to take off and we won't get the usual : "he hadn't enough time to learn the system"

OK just one example. How many snaps did Smith get with the 1st team prior to the season? How many times did he get to throw the ball to Davis or Crabtree?

And your argument is that practice does not make for improvements? So why do they bother to have TC's?

Continuity on offense:

This was what I said last off season. Improvements to the O-line again are a big IF with McCloughan. This was supposed to be addressed last off-season, last draft, last year, etc.

You should also add:

IF we hire a new offensive line coach and IF the receivers are coached to understand how to run routes that are just long enough for the 1st down.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:26 AM ]
Other teams are looking for fans....
Originally posted by Ahab:
A lethal combination of these two individuals will keep us out of the playoffs in 2010

+

=

failure

Yo Ahab... Didn't you go down with the whaling ship Essex?
We haven't even reached the end of this season and you're already writing them off for next year, your my kind of fan. Sike. Go find another favorite team, you jerk.