Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
"Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games."

Alex is also innaccurate on the short throws. There are no throws that he is consistently good at, except checkdowns right in front of him and not towards the sidelines, even if close to him. Razzano said it best "he can't even hit a simple 7 yard out"

You are "overly Alex Smith Centric" on blame. This is a complete SUCK organization from top to bottom at all levels. Starting at the very top and boy does it trickle down. Alex may be part of our problem. But the problems run so much deeper than that.

We don't even have a GM. We have a clueless 27 year old running an NFL franchise. He hire clown after clown at the HC position who in turn hire clowns at the coordinator positions. But it all starts at the top who allows this.

If I was Harbaugh I would run far away from this. He'd be better off to stay at Stanford or take a different NFL job. We are an absolute joke of a franchise and we will continue to suck.

yes, I am very Alex blame, but there are plenty of examples of organizations that flat out sucked by any standards and a new QB came to town and everything went on the right track. Then those same coaches are geniuses? And the players around them are suddenly great? I think bad QBs make everyone around them look awful; it's a very dangerous set of circumstances, because the QB can be a source of light or a source of cancer for the organization.

How is that working for Detriot? Another constant of SUCK in the NFL and a constant of SUCK at ownership.

They suck, but Stafford hasn't done bad in those circumstances. His career rating is about the same as the veteran Alex Smith's, and he's only played 11 games in the NFL. He threw 12 more TDs than Smith in only 10 games in his rookie year.
Originally posted by danimal:
"Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games."

Alex is also innaccurate on the short throws. There are no throws that he is consistently good at, except checkdowns right in front of him and not towards the sidelines, even if close to him. Razzano said it best "he can't even hit a simple 7 yard out"

You are "overly Alex Smith Centric" on blame. This is a complete SUCK organization from top to bottom at all levels. Starting at the very top and boy does it trickle down. Alex may be part of our problem. But the problems run so much deeper than that.

We don't even have a GM. We have a clueless 27 year old running an NFL franchise. He hire clown after clown at the HC position who in turn hire clowns at the coordinator positions. But it all starts at the top who allows this.

If I was Harbaugh I would run far away from this. He'd be better off to stay at Stanford or take a different NFL job. We are an absolute joke of a franchise and we will continue to suck.

yes, I am very Alex blame, but there are plenty of examples of organizations that flat out sucked by any standards and a new QB came to town and everything went on the right track. Then those same coaches are geniuses? And the players around them are suddenly great? I think bad QBs make everyone around them look awful; it's a very dangerous set of circumstances, because the QB can be a source of light or a source of cancer for the organization.

How is that working for Detriot? Another constant of SUCK in the NFL and a constant of SUCK at ownership.

What I don't understand is how the NFL allows this? Isn't the maximum league profit achieved with parity? How can they just allow the same owners to obviously not participate in the competition for the Lombardi?

There should be a rule....5 straight years of missing playoffs and the NFL will find buyers for you.

BTW...The Colts and Patriots were horrible Franchises also before they got their QB's.

Some owners are just smarter than others and have more passion for winning... You can't enforce free will or intelligence or experience. That's something you have or don't. In our case we don't.

I don't know about smarter. It could easily be that John York is the smartest of em all, if he is raking in more by investing less.
"Reason #1

They suck, but Stafford hasn't done bad in those circumstances. His career rating is about the same as the veteran Alex Smith's, and he's only played 11 games in the NFL. He threw 12 more TDs than Smith in only 10 games in his rookie year.

Bad organizations always suck. The Lions have sucked for the greater part of 25 or 30 years. It's he ownership. Yeah you can find one segment of one season here or there or 1 season here or there but for the greater part of 25 - 30 years they have mostly sucked.

How do you do that? You get a new HC every 3 years. New OC, New DC, position coaches, new players early in the draft. The only constant is the owners who hire the wrong people, who make the wrong decisions and the cycle of suck continues. It's what we now have.

You can't do that any other way than ownership. And you can't do this any other way than ownership (York way). For the greater part of 8 years we are garbage. And the one and only one time we were in the playoffs and had a good coach they got in an argument with that guy and fired him. We have had plenty of different HC's, OC's, position coaches, new players, even different QB's and we still continue to suck. We do so becaue they hire the wrong people who are inexperienced and cheap and they make stupid decisions and fail and hire more failing people. And the cycle continues.

Jerry Jones was ready to fire his coach after week 3. Do you see that around here?
"Reason #1

What I don't understand is how the NFL allows this? Isn't the maximum league profit achieved with parity? How can they just allow the same owners to obviously not participate in the competition for the Lombardi?

There should be a rule....5 straight years of missing playoffs and the NFL will find buyers for you.

BTW...The Colts and Patriots were horrible Franchises also before they got their QB's.

Some owners are just smarter than others and have more passion for winning... You can't enforce free will or intelligence or experience. That's something you have or don't. In our case we don't.

I don't know about smarter. It could easily be that John York is the smartest of em all, if he is raking in more by investing less.
I don't know how much he is raking in, only the Lions and Vikings have a lower revenue stream than the 49ers and the gap is very small.
"Reason #1

Bad organizations always suck. The Lions have sucked for the greater part of 25 or 30 years. It's he ownership. Yeah you can find one segment of one season here or there or 1 season here or there but for the greater part of 25 - 30 years they have mostly sucked.

How do you do that? You get a new HC every 3 years. New OC, New DC, position coaches, new players early in the draft. The only constant is the owners who hire the wrong people, who make the wrong decisions and the cycle of suck continues. It's what we now have.

You can't do that any other way than ownership. And you can't do this any other way than ownership (York way). For the greater part of 8 years we are garbage. And the one and only one time we were in the playoffs and had a good coach they got in an argument with that guy and fired him. We have had plenty of different HC's, OC's, position coaches, new players, even different QB's and we still continue to suck. We do so becaue they hire the wrong people who are inexperienced and cheap and they make stupid decisions and fail and hire more failing people. And the cycle continues.

Jerry Jones was ready to fire his coach after week 3. Do you see that around here?

OK....a number of good points are made here. I certainly can relate to your frustration SD. I'm just as pissed off as anybody in the Zone with the way this team has underperformed thus far.

First, let us look at some harsh facts (or if you prefer, the bad news)..

1) The Yorks will not sell this team anytime soon because it is a cash cow. I don't know of any NFL franchises that don't make money.

2) I would be surprised if Singletary is fired in the middle of the season unless the team loses its first 8-9 games....something just horrific. If the team goes 5-11 or 6-10 though, I think we can all assume he will probably be replaced after the season.

3) This team was certainly overrated in the offseason and all of the weaknesses in the team have already been exploited by opposing teams.

4) Former Niners have commented that the team is in disarray and disorganized and that there is no real leadership coming from the coaching staff. This is a huge problem and the most likely reason that Sing will be let go after the season.

OK....here is the good news.

1) The Niners are still a team with a lot of core talent at many positions and several young players with a lot of potential. Expecting a young OL to play well in two of the most difficult venues in the NFL in their first 3 games in the league is unrealistic and unfair. That OL will improve as the season progresses and the Niners will be the better for it in the long run. The good thing about a bad season is that you can also give young players more playing time, thus being able to evaluate them much better at the end of the year.

2) Jed York may be young, naive, and inexperienced but he is a pretty sharp kid...and very media savvy. He is no doubt thinking many of the same things that the Zoners are thinking about this team. I'm certain he tunes in the Zone from time to time also to check out what the Zoners are posting so he can hear us. He also has Eddie D as a mentor. I think it will take some time but that he will learn from his mistakes and hire some experienced, qualified NFL guys to come in and improve things.

3) Even if Alex Smith doesn't pan out as a QB (and we all have our doubts right now), he will likely be the starter for the rest of the year because the backups simply are not ready or not an improvement. At least we will know one way or the other whether Alex has any upside at this point or not. If he doesn't improve with Mike Johnson as the OC, then he is obviously gone and the Niners go out and get another QB.

4) Trent Balke did an excellent job with the draft this past year. He certainly can recognize talent. Even if he doesn't get the GM title, the Niners have a nice piece in their front office to build around. Paraag Marathe has been excellent managing the salary cap so he should also be maintained.

5) There are still a lot of good head coaching candidates out there for the choosing if and when the Niners cut ties with Sing. I think it is pretty obvious now that he is in over his head and really has no idea how to run an NFL franchise. A good motivational speaker but a Head Coach has to be much more than that. The good news is that the discussion has already opened up which will put more pressure on Jed to make a move at the end of the year.

I know these are silver linings guys but I do believe with proper coaching and guidance, this could be a top 10-12 team. Let's hope these necessary changes happen soon so a good coach can take advantage of this talent.