LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 189 users in the forums

Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
I applaud you!!!!

Slap and tap it
totally agree. a lil much on the scary good though.
Originally posted by momoney925:
Originally posted by Robert:
Like most of you, I have rooted for and been terribly disappointed with our on field product over the past 7 years. Patterns of potential success that ultimately, and seemingly ineluctably, end with failure. But I believe next year will be different. I'd bet on it, and here's why:

1) Singletary. For the ADD, you can stop reading here. There's hype. Yes. He's been hyped. There's arguably mediocre initial results (though, given this team’s performance over the past 6 seasons, I'm not sure I'd call the first coach with a winning record over his first two seasons (season and a half) since Mariucci, mediocre). But that's it. He's simply different. Not an X's and O's guy, granted, like a Belichick or a Shanahan. But a man that can get the most of men (more so than a Belichick or a Shanahan). Losing is not an option. He is a presence. A force of nature. Pure intensity and will. And, he's proved adaptable (See the experimentation with a "spread" offense). He's a general. Not an X's and O's general, but a leader of men’s general nevertheless. Singletary is going to will this team to being better. When he finds flaws, he will assess, adapt and overcome. Sheer force of will. Sounds childish on paper, but if you've ever been lead by a real man, you know what I'm saying. You can't quantify it. You don't even fully understand it. But you know it. And the players know it (look what he did with Davis this year). He will adjust, change his philosophy, "sell out" his ideals, whatever it takes to win. Brothers, he exemplifies an overachiever and a winner. And despite our "mediocrity" there isn't a team on earth that would be comfortable playing us next week with their playoff hopes alive. We are scary. Not Ravens 2000 defense or Pats 2007 offense scary, but we are disturbing. Everyone knows we are capable of beating the hell out of ANYONE on any given Sunday. We may come up short, but we are far from the laughing stock of the league we used to be, and that fact, is in large measure a result of Mike Singletary.

2) Talent. We have it in boat loads, and we're about to get better (note two draft picks in the first 20). Willis, Davis, [Lee, sorry but I have put a punter in brackets, it's the law], Gore, Franklin, Goldston, Crabtree and to a lesser degree, maybe Staley and Morgan. A nasty group of young talent comparable to any core group of talent in the league. Yes, ideally, we would have a QB and OLB on that list. Well, we don't and this ain't Alice in Wonderland. Every team has holes. Unfortunately, ours are at very significant positions. Smith is functional. Brooks, if he can stay out of trouble, may qualify as functional too, we'll see. But we have a nucleus for the first time in nearly a decade. And it's young. And it's hungry. And it expects a lot of themselves. Which brings me to my next point...

3) Culture. Like all POS teams, we have spent a ton of time TALKING about the playoffs. But this is the first year in recent memory (think '03) since fans, but more importantly, players were legitimately disappointed about not making the playoffs. Why? See point #1 and sprinkle in a 20 something team president/quasi-owner-guy with respect for past niner glory but ambition to make his own mark. These players actually expect to win. This team punked a team 35-0. And expects to repunk them again in their own house in 5 days. That ain’t easy to do on any NFL team, I don’t care about their soon to be 1-15 record. And I don't care about that legacy-f-tard-Nolan's "Win the West" political/PR campaign. This is real. Losing is not an option. It's not OK. You win a meaningless game easily by 13 points at home and the head coach calls out your offense's inability to convert 6 turnovers into points. The game has changed. Expectations have changed. And this team feels entitled to win. That's a huge step towards winning.

I could go on, but I’m running out of bourbon. I feel this in my bones. This team will be incredible to watch next year. We will make the playoffs, but that won't be enough. We are going to do damage once we're in. Mark my words, brothers. In 2010 the Phoenix will once again rise from the ashes and take our rightful place atop the NFL!!!

love it
great post

I read it all , too!

and either do u....

[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Dec 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM ]
Like most of you, I have rooted for and been terribly disappointed with our on field product over the past 7 years. Patterns of potential success that ultimately, and seemingly ineluctably, end with failure. But I believe next year will be different. I'd bet on it, and here's why:

1) Singletary. For the ADD, you can stop reading here. There's hype. Yes. He's been hyped. There's arguably mediocre initial results (though, given this team’s performance over the past 6 seasons, I'm not sure I'd call the first coach with a winning record over his first two seasons (season and a half) since Mariucci, mediocre). But that's it. He's simply different. Not an X's and O's guy, granted, like a Belichick or a Shanahan. But a man that can get the most of men (more so than a Belichick or a Shanahan). Losing is not an option. He is a presence. A force of nature. Pure intensity and will. And, he's proved adaptable (See the experimentation with a "spread" offense). He's a general. Not an X's and O's general, but a leader of men’s general nevertheless. Singletary is going to will this team to being better. When he finds flaws, he will assess, adapt and overcome. Sheer force of will. Sounds childish on paper, but if you've ever been lead by a real man, you know what I'm saying. You can't quantify it. You don't even fully understand it. But you know it. And the players know it (look what he did with Davis this year). He will adjust, change his philosophy, "sell out" his ideals, whatever it takes to win. Brothers, he exemplifies an overachiever and a winner. And despite our "mediocrity" there isn't a team on earth that would be comfortable playing us next week with their playoff hopes alive. We are scary. Not Ravens 2000 defense or Pats 2007 offense scary, but we are disturbing. Everyone knows we are capable of beating the hell out of ANYONE on any given Sunday. We may come up short, but we are far from the laughing stock of the league we used to be, and that fact, is in large measure a result of Mike Singletary.

2) Talent. We have it in boat loads, and we're about to get better (note two draft picks in the first 20). Willis, Davis, [Lee, sorry but I have put a punter in brackets, it's the law], Gore, Franklin, Goldston, Crabtree and to a lesser degree, maybe Staley and Morgan. A nasty group of young talent comparable to any core group of talent in the league. Yes, ideally, we would have a QB and OLB on that list. Well, we don't and this ain't Alice in Wonderland. Every team has holes. Unfortunately, ours are at very significant positions. Smith is functional. Brooks, if he can stay out of trouble, may qualify as functional too, we'll see. But we have a nucleus for the first time in nearly a decade. And it's young. And it's hungry. And it expects a lot of themselves. Which brings me to my next point...

3) Culture. Like all POS teams, we have spent a ton of time TALKING about the playoffs. But this is the first year in recent memory (think '03) since fans, but more importantly, players were legitimately disappointed about not making the playoffs. Why? See point #1 and sprinkle in a 20 something team president/quasi-owner-guy with respect for past niner glory but ambition to make his own mark. These players actually expect to win. This team punked a team 35-0. And expects to repunk them again in their own house in 5 days. That ain’t easy to do on any NFL team, I don’t care about their soon to be 1-15 record. And I don't care about that legacy-f-tard-Nolan's "Win the West" political/PR campaign. This is real. Losing is not an option. It's not OK. You win a meaningless game easily by 13 points at home and the head coach calls out your offense's inability to convert 6 turnovers into points. The game has changed. Expectations have changed. And this team feels entitled to win. That's a huge step towards winning.

I could go on, but I’m running out of bourbon. I feel this in my bones. This team will be incredible to watch next year. We will make the playoffs, but that won't be enough. We are going to do damage once we're in. Mark my words, brothers. In 2010 the Phoenix will once again rise from the ashes and take our rightful place atop the NFL!!!

Excellent post, I raise my glass of Basil Hayden to you sir.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Interesting post. I think the 49ers are in trouble because Smith will be starting the year off. Hill was/is better at managing the game. I am not sure we would be 7-8 right now without Hill. Hill is definitely responsible for a couple of those wins.

I agree, I also think we might have had another win or two if we kept Hill at QB.

Interesting post. I think the 49ers are in trouble because Smith will be starting the year off. Hill was/is better at managing the game. I am not sure we would be 7-8 right now without Hill. Hill is definitely responsible for a couple of those wins.

I agree, I also think we might have had another win or two if we kept Hill at QB.

Eric Davis said the same thing on a CSN post game show a couple of weeks back.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

See even ex players are saying it and they know the game way better then any of us.

See even ex players are saying it and they know the game way better then any of us.

Memphis and the likes will sip Smith's kool-aid till he is traded/cut.

Memphis and the likes will sip Smith's kool-aid till he is traded/cut.

And yet the same Eric Davis has been saying Smith should be the QB going into next year, because he still has some potential, and he's done okay.

I don't think Hill would've beat TN or Indy. Indy won every game they attempted to win. We caught TN after they caught fire and started playing like the team that went 13-3 last year. They went on to have a 6 game winning streak.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.

i totally agree on what is written
Mark your words and mine : if we do not get a great draft (= we find two to three immediate starters) and we do not sign some meaningfull (read MEANINGFULL Scotty) FA's we're gonna finish 9-7 next year at best
Same team ? Same coaches ? Ok tell me why our problems that are well documented would be erased during the offseason ? Because you hope and believe ? Well that's your right but it won't help this team and you must then send a sniper to kill warner cos the cards would still be in front
I also think that we should develop Nate right now so when there will be no more room for Alexcuses (i'm probably dreaming on that one) he'll be ready to take off and we won't get the usual : "he hadn't enough time to learn the system"

OK just one example. How many snaps did Smith get with the 1st team prior to the season? How many times did he get to throw the ball to Davis or Crabtree?

And your argument is that practice does not make for improvements? So why do they bother to have TC's?

You're the kind of guy i like : just prove my point then put words in my mouth that i didn't say (or write in this case)

First : as expected your point of view is another Alexcuse (didn't practice enough blablabla) Yeah for sure he just had 5 years to practice, 5 systems and he didn't perform in any of 'hem (by the way 20th rated QB this season, link to SF gate article on the zone home page)

Second : of course practice is important that's why we started 3-1 (better prepared physically and mentally than other teams) but practice won't make a pony win the Preakness ... And yes i think Alex is the pony in this case

Now if you're linking practice and Nate (you could have but didn't) then you'll see my eyes wide open and we could start being buddy
So it's up to you man ...

What are you on? You asked what problems could be erased during the off season and I gave you an example. So why the fuss?

As to the rest of your post, I stopped reading when you accused me of putting words into your mouth.

First if you didn't read much into my post why respond ? Go figure ...

Second i consider playing more than half a season (games + practice during the week AS THE STARTER) much more valuable than TC
If alex made no progress why would TC help him. And sorry to say he did get a lot of time to throw to Davis and Crabtree, almost three month actually. If you like a pony to win the preakness good for you but practice won't help.

Third for the fuss side i don't feel concerned. Your imagination is way too big. I made points, you made points, and so on. That's it. If you can't take it then ...

Is this a post copy from the 2009 offseason ? 2008 ? 2007 ?
Well if it is don't forget to bring it back at the end of next season you'll be firing up the zone once again
Great motivator ! (hmmmmmm that makes me think of somebody ... but who?)
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Wayyyyyy to much uninformed opinions and crying in this thread.

We suck! We're not worthy! We're scum! My uncle molested me! We should be shipped to LA, we should be shot!!
Most of the people on this site seem to think that we have a very good chance at making the playoffs in 2010. I just dont see it, not with this group of players and coaches. With this group of players and coaches 8-8 and maybe 9-7 if all the stars align correctly.

Reason #1

QB play, Alex Smith just cannot get the job done and its been proven over and over. He is very inaccurate on the deep throws which you need because you cant always go on 15 play drives. He sucks on the third downs and also in fourth quarters when the game is on the line. Those things are crucial in winning close games.

Reason #2

We can't win on the road. We only won one game this year on the road and that was the first game against Arizona. This is a completely different team on the road, especially on defense.

Reason #3

The defense is good and not great. They are especially good at home lately but on the road they play below average and never get crucial stops when we need them. This defense needs to be great with this offense and this coaching mentality.

Reason #4

This one may shock you but its Mike Singletary. His conservative approach to the game is going to cost us in close games. Every time we get any kind of lead in the second half he immediately starts to shut down the offense and starts trying to run the clock out. With a p***y mentality like that good teams will always come back and beat us, just like in Minnesota.

Reason #5

Our personnel still is not good enough. We lack speed in the secondary, speed at WR and also consistent pass rush, and a good back up running back. Also we know about the Oline.

Reason #6

Scott McClueless every year we go into the off season with glaring needs and every off season he ignores them. So I have no reason to believe that this off season will be any different.

Feel free to add anything if I missed it.

Don't really know why you are a fan ................. you might be better off spending your time on other things ....... I choose to root, hope and have a good time in regards to the Niners ......... You, .... not so much.

-Just saying, there are far better causes to bitter about ........ HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Like I said earlier, 6 losses by 7 points or less.

This team could very easily make the playoffs next season with the proper upgrades at key spots. I'M NOT GOING TO MENTION ANY AREAS OF NEED......AHEM, O-LINE, AHEM, PUNT RETURNER
Share 49ersWebzone