LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Reasons why we will not make the playoffs in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
wait a minute you're confusing me...there's a huge post out there now stating that we won't make the playoffs in 2010. i thought you guys knew what you were talking about when posting?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Interesting post. I think the 49ers are in trouble because Smith will be starting the year off. Hill was/is better at managing the game. I am not sure we would be 7-8 right now without Hill. Hill is definitely responsible for a couple of those wins.

I agree, I also think we might have had another win or two if we kept Hill at QB.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
If we get a new QB who's actually good.

ahahaha
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Nice post, even if you were hopped up on the sauce while writing it.

He got all emotional and sh*t.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Robert:
Originally posted by ptinerocket:
i bet none of the ppl above me read the OP's post

so I will also say

WELL WRITTEN!

Thanks, brother!

I want one of these per week until the next season starts.

Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Like most of you, I have rooted for and been terribly disappointed with our on field product over the past 7 years. Patterns of potential success that ultimately, and seemingly ineluctably, end with failure. But I believe next year will be different. I'd bet on it, and here's why:

1) Singletary. For the ADD, you can stop reading here. There's hype. Yes. He's been hyped. There's arguably mediocre initial results (though, given this team’s performance over the past 6 seasons, I'm not sure I'd call the first coach with a winning record over his first two seasons (season and a half) since Mariucci, mediocre). But that's it. He's simply different. Not an X's and O's guy, granted, like a Belichick or a Shanahan. But a man that can get the most of men (more so than a Belichick or a Shanahan). Losing is not an option. He is a presence. A force of nature. Pure intensity and will. And, he's proved adaptable (See the experimentation with a "spread" offense). He's a general. Not an X's and O's general, but a leader of men’s general nevertheless. Singletary is going to will this team to being better. When he finds flaws, he will assess, adapt and overcome. Sheer force of will. Sounds childish on paper, but if you've ever been lead by a real man, you know what I'm saying. You can't quantify it. You don't even fully understand it. But you know it. And the players know it (look what he did with Davis this year). He will adjust, change his philosophy, "sell out" his ideals, whatever it takes to win. Brothers, he exemplifies an overachiever and a winner. And despite our "mediocrity" there isn't a team on earth that would be comfortable playing us next week with their playoff hopes alive. We are scary. Not Ravens 2000 defense or Pats 2007 offense scary, but we are disturbing. Everyone knows we are capable of beating the hell out of ANYONE on any given Sunday. We may come up short, but we are far from the laughing stock of the league we used to be, and that fact, is in large measure a result of Mike Singletary.

2) Talent. We have it in boat loads, and we're about to get better (note two draft picks in the first 20). Willis, Davis, [Lee, sorry but I have put a punter in brackets, it's the law], Gore, Franklin, Goldston, Crabtree and to a lesser degree, maybe Staley and Morgan. A nasty group of young talent comparable to any core group of talent in the league. Yes, ideally, we would have a QB and OLB on that list. Well, we don't and this ain't Alice in Wonderland. Every team has holes. Unfortunately, ours are at very significant positions. Smith is functional. Brooks, if he can stay out of trouble, may qualify as functional too, we'll see. But we have a nucleus for the first time in nearly a decade. And it's young. And it's hungry. And it expects a lot of themselves. Which brings me to my next point...

3) Culture. Like all POS teams, we have spent a ton of time TALKING about the playoffs. But this is the first year in recent memory (think '03) since fans, but more importantly, players were legitimately disappointed about not making the playoffs. Why? See point #1 and sprinkle in a 20 something team president/quasi-owner-guy with respect for past niner glory but ambition to make his own mark. These players actually expect to win. This team punked a team 35-0. And expects to repunk them again in their own house in 5 days. That ain’t easy to do on any NFL team, I don’t care about their soon to be 1-15 record. And I don't care about that legacy-f-tard-Nolan's "Win the West" political/PR campaign. This is real. Losing is not an option. It's not OK. You win a meaningless game easily by 13 points at home and the head coach calls out your offense's inability to convert 6 turnovers into points. The game has changed. Expectations have changed. And this team feels entitled to win. That's a huge step towards winning.

I could go on, but I’m running out of bourbon. I feel this in my bones. This team will be incredible to watch next year. We will make the playoffs, but that won't be enough. We are going to do damage once we're in. Mark my words, brothers. In 2010 the Phoenix will once again rise from the ashes and take our rightful place atop the NFL!!!

Well writen and very positive I do agree with you on many of your points....but I don't share your enthusiasm on Singletary. For a guy that's presence should have this team excited based on motivative talk (his strenght) I don't understand how this team has come out so flat, so unprepared the first half of several very meaningful games. Lacking in the X's and O's part of the game is worrysome esp if his cordinators aren't on there toes from week to week.

I am not sure any team would be scared to play us, maybe any team in the NFC West. Yes we have been very competitive with Viking and Indi, but we got dominated in the first half against Atlanta, Texans, Packers and Eagles. Wooping the 1-14 Rams really doesn't count for awhole lot.

This defense is a couple players away from being a dominating force, but the Offense is just sad esp on the road. They had 5 TOs against Bears yet only won by 4 and 6 VS Lions and wasn't able to score 1 single point off them?

I hope your right but year after year of disappointment and meaningless Decemeber games have taken their toll on me and my optimism

IMO MS will continue to get better but will lose games an experienced coach wouldn't while he learns OTJ.
Talent is better but too many holes in key positions plus Scot has the "trigger" and he's not going to turn into BW and get 4-5 good/great players in one off season.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
I want one of these per week until the next season starts.

This!

Good to hear some optimism on this board for a change! Keep drinkin and keep being a fan! 2010 is shining brighter than any year we've seen in the past, without a DOUBT.
Good post Brother!

I applaud you!!!!

Like most of you, I have rooted for and been terribly disappointed with our on field product over the past 7 years. Patterns of potential success that ultimately, and seemingly ineluctably, end with failure. But I believe next year will be different. I'd bet on it, and here's why:

1) Singletary. For the ADD, you can stop reading here. There's hype. Yes. He's been hyped. There's arguably mediocre initial results (though, given this team’s performance over the past 6 seasons, I'm not sure I'd call the first coach with a winning record over his first two seasons (season and a half) since Mariucci, mediocre). But that's it. He's simply different. Not an X's and O's guy, granted, like a Belichick or a Shanahan. But a man that can get the most of men (more so than a Belichick or a Shanahan). Losing is not an option. He is a presence. A force of nature. Pure intensity and will. And, he's proved adaptable (See the experimentation with a "spread" offense). He's a general. Not an X's and O's general, but a leader of men’s general nevertheless. Singletary is going to will this team to being better. When he finds flaws, he will assess, adapt and overcome. Sheer force of will. Sounds childish on paper, but if you've ever been lead by a real man, you know what I'm saying. You can't quantify it. You don't even fully understand it. But you know it. And the players know it (look what he did with Davis this year). He will adjust, change his philosophy, "sell out" his ideals, whatever it takes to win. Brothers, he exemplifies an overachiever and a winner. And despite our "mediocrity" there isn't a team on earth that would be comfortable playing us next week with their playoff hopes alive. We are scary. Not Ravens 2000 defense or Pats 2007 offense scary, but we are disturbing. Everyone knows we are capable of beating the hell out of ANYONE on any given Sunday. We may come up short, but we are far from the laughing stock of the league we used to be, and that fact, is in large measure a result of Mike Singletary.

2) Talent. We have it in boat loads, and we're about to get better (note two draft picks in the first 20). Willis, Davis, [Lee, sorry but I have put a punter in brackets, it's the law], Gore, Franklin, Goldston, Crabtree and to a lesser degree, maybe Staley and Morgan. A nasty group of young talent comparable to any core group of talent in the league. Yes, ideally, we would have a QB and OLB on that list. Well, we don't and this ain't Alice in Wonderland. Every team has holes. Unfortunately, ours are at very significant positions. Smith is functional. Brooks, if he can stay out of trouble, may qualify as functional too, we'll see. But we have a nucleus for the first time in nearly a decade. And it's young. And it's hungry. And it expects a lot of themselves. Which brings me to my next point...

3) Culture. Like all POS teams, we have spent a ton of time TALKING about the playoffs. But this is the first year in recent memory (think '03) since fans, but more importantly, players were legitimately disappointed about not making the playoffs. Why? See point #1 and sprinkle in a 20 something team president/quasi-owner-guy with respect for past niner glory but ambition to make his own mark. These players actually expect to win. This team punked a team 35-0. And expects to repunk them again in their own house in 5 days. That ain’t easy to do on any NFL team, I don’t care about their soon to be 1-15 record. And I don't care about that legacy-f-tard-Nolan's "Win the West" political/PR campaign. This is real. Losing is not an option. It's not OK. You win a meaningless game easily by 13 points at home and the head coach calls out your offense's inability to convert 6 turnovers into points. The game has changed. Expectations have changed. And this team feels entitled to win. That's a huge step towards winning.

I could go on, but I’m running out of bourbon. I feel this in my bones. This team will be incredible to watch next year. We will make the playoffs, but that won't be enough. We are going to do damage once we're in. Mark my words, brothers. In 2010 the Phoenix will once again rise from the ashes and take our rightful place atop the NFL!!!

Just like the completely negative post earlier this post about 2010, I will reserve judgement on this turnaround until this offseason is over. If free agency and the draft are a big success, then I will be just as optimistic as the next Zoner.

You could almost say we would be Backontop
Originally posted by momoney925:

love it
great post

Agree, great post! Can't wait until next season
Share 49ersWebzone