Competition for Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Can't we just give Smith the "starter" label and see what he can do with a full offseason knowing he's the starter?

I'm just tired of the excuses, make him the starter if he fails next season we can all move on.

this is what is going to happen but sadly even if Smith comes out in 2010 and lights up the league the haters will still make excuses and claim that his success is due to someone else and that Smith still is a bust.

Sorry that we "haters" just don't see the greatness in AS that you do. Let Alex prove us wrong and play lights out for an entire season and we'll all go out and get Alex jerseys, fatheads, bobbleheads or whatever. I, for one, could care less if the name on the back of the jersey says Smith, Hill, Neo or Morpheus as long as the name on the front says 49ers.

I have never claimed that Smith was/is or ever will be great. What I have always said is that I will actually wait to make my judgment on him. So far this season he has played pretty well. Only 49er fans will b***h and complain about a game in which the starting QB goes 20/31 for 270 yards 1TD and 0 INT. Like I said some fans will never be satisfied. He isn't playing lights out and he has plenty of room for improvement. And that is the reason why I say give him the offseason and a full TC getting all of the reps as the starter in the same system for more than 1 season in his entire career. If he doesn't improve and the team isn't winning due to Smith then I would say go ahead and cut our ties with him and move on. Key words being NOT WINNING DUE TO SMITH! I know some of you haters blame everything that goes wrong in the world on Smith so that is why the rational and logical fans will be able to point out the reasons for not winning. Things like poor OLine, no pass rush, no secondary.. I think you get the hint.

"You haters"? Back to that? I thought I cleared that up. I am a 49 year old man with a wife and kids . Believe me the world doesn't revolve around AS for me as it does for some. I'm just trying to explain my train of thought but you don't want to hear it so lets agree to disagree, let it play out and revisit it in a year.

you call yourself a hater then get pissed when I group you in with the rest of the haters.
I'm happy to bring some laughter in your life.
The only person I have a problem with on the Niners is Scot.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
"Push" may be a better word, I agree

I believe that "Push" may come from Nate Davis. He is going into his 2nd year in the same offense also and has not been over exposed to multiple offense systems.

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

They all have the contracts for this and we can focus on OL and a pass rush. I am excited for Ahmad Brooks too.
Originally posted by macombs:

I believe that "Push" may come from Nate Davis. He is going into his 2nd year in the same offense also and has not been over exposed to multiple offense systems.

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

They all have the contracts for this and we can focus on OL and a pass rush. I am excited for Ahmad Brooks too.

I truly believe if we let Nate start against STL and he goes 20 something for 30 something with 260 yards, then he immediately has more upside than Alex Smith and we can't pass up giving him a good look next year.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

I truly believe if we let Nate start against STL and he goes 20 something for 30 something with 260 yards, then he immediately has more upside than Alex Smith and we can't pass up giving him a good look next year.

He will get that good look in the offseason, but I doubt they will let him into next weekends game with Alex still developing into Ray's offense. Alex needs as much playing time as he can get.

Also... there is nothing wrong with letting Nate sit on the bench for 2 - 3 years. I would rather him ride pine and learn to play quarterback in the NFL slowly (A. Rodgers) then thrown into the fire (A. Smith). He comes out prepared and confindent and with a chip on his shoulder that he should not have been riding the pine.

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

He will get that good look in the offseason, but I doubt they will let him into next weekends game with Alex still developing into Ray's offense. Alex needs as much playing time as he can get.

Also... there is nothing wrong with letting Nate sit on the bench for 2 - 3 years. I would rather him ride pine and learn to play quarterback in the NFL slowly (A. Rodgers) then thrown into the fire (A. Smith). He comes out prepared and confindent and with a chip on his shoulder that he should not have been riding the pine.

If we truly want to let Alex have as much playing time as possible, then he should be throwing 40 times against STL. Gore has is 1000 so he is set so why not do what is important and get Alex more looks?

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

So it is ok for Nate Davis to have those stats but if Smith throws those stats he sucks. Ahh the double standards

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

So it is ok for Nate Davis to have those stats but if Smith throws those stats he sucks. Ahh the double standards

Considering it's Nate's first start in his rookie season, by far, easily.

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

so it is ok to make considerations for Nate Davis and not Smith??? more double standards

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

so it is ok to make considerations for Nate Davis and not Smith??? more double standards

What type of considerations am I making? One would think if a rookie plays just as well as a veteran and the rookie has more throwing ability, then the rookie should get the benefit of the doubt more than the veteran, right?

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

What type of considerations am I making? One would think if a rookie plays just as well as a veteran and the rookie has more throwing ability, then the rookie should get the benefit of the doubt more than the veteran, right?

If you have two guys that run the same speed, one has perfect form, the other terrible, then you take the guy with terrible form. The logic behind it is that he's equal with the other guy, but obviously has more potential. So if Davis plays equally to Smith in his first start, then they're already equals, but Davis has tons more to learn. Thus, Davis would be the better option.

I'm DEFINITELY not saying that Nate Davis has more potential, just explaining the logic behind what JC is saying. FWIW, I think it doesn't make much sense to start Davis in the last game.

Originally posted by pantstickle:

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

If you have two guys that run the same speed, one has perfect form, the other terrible, then you take the guy with terrible form. The logic behind it is that he's equal with the other guy, but obviously has more potential. So if Davis plays equally to Smith in his first start, then they're already equals, but Davis has tons more to learn. Thus, Davis would be the better option.

I'm DEFINITELY not saying that Nate Davis has more potential, just explaining the logic behind what JC is saying. FWIW, I think it doesn't make much sense to start Davis in the last game.

I think Singletary should sit with both and tell Alex that Nate will see some live action for experience alone and that it will be in the second half.

If we truly would like Nate to develop, why not give him live action in a meaningless game?

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

There is no logic when it comes to the Smith apologists. You're taking JoeCool's words and twisting them. Read them again! Does Smith have to have a brfeakdown on the field before you can acknowledge his , at best, mediocre performances? We can't keep blamin g the O-line and average receivers for his shortcomings and lack of dramatic progress, not to mention making the same old mistakes and bad throws as he always has. Yes he's better than prior years, btu that's faint praise. He's not shown a great leap this year, and if anything, regressed a bit from an impressive start. Davis may or may not be a viable heir apparent, but we need to see. Giving him some series in the last game is not a bad thing, and yes, if he performs at an as high or higher level as a rookie, than Alex has as a vet, then he deserves serious consideration for next yaer. I don't knoiw what more Sing needs to see. Smith hasn't excelled this season, or even put an entire GOOD (not even great) game together, EVER! Just what great revelation does the good coach expect? Just saying!

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

I agree with the bolded statement and that would be a good reason to let him sit behind Smith for next year so he can continue to learn the offense. Then start start Davis in 2011

Depth Chart next year:
1. Alex
2. Nate
3. Shaun

I agree with the bolded statement and that would be a good reason to let him sit behind Smith for next year so he can continue to learn the offense. Then start start Davis in 2011

Yeah, unless he finally becomes that neurosurgeon we all know he can be.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Competition = less reps for Alex in my mind. I think next year being his last year in contract is enough of a "push" for him. I dont think motivation is his issue. If we are going into the season with him as our starter and I think we are, we should give him ALL the opportunity and practice to prove once and for all he is or isn't the QB for this team.

Splitting reps only destroys timing with WR and TE's.

Spoken perfectly. Competition only hinders progress. We can't say hey let's build continuity then let's have yet another competition.

Ride or die next season
Share 49ersWebzone