LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Competition for Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Once again Alex Smith played okay but did some things that made you think is he the guy and will he ever be the guy. I know, next year is when we can really judge him with him being in the same system for 2 years and with (hopefully) a better O-Line. Im just starting to think wether or not Alex Smith has the vision to be an elite QB or even a real good one.

Bottom line, its a no brainer to bring Alex Smith back next year but I want some competition for him. Shuan Hill is not competition. Drafting a QB in the 1st rd is not the answer or the competition I want either. Nate Davis is not competition either. I think two guys the 49ers should take a long hard look at are Matt Hasselbeck and Marc Bugler who both should be available. I think they would give Alex great compeition and could come in and start games and help us win if need be as well. I like Nate Davis as our 3rd QB next year with him competing with a 3rd or 4th rd draft pick. So yeah that means there is no room for Shuan Hill.

I just worry while we are going to upgrade the talent for 2010, we are always going to be frustrated with Alex Smith and Jimmy Raye and like some people have already said on this board, Alex Smith is starting to look like another Steve Deberg..."He is just good enough to get you beat"
I like bringing in Marc or Matt to PUSH Alex and bring that veteran support (i.e. Dilfer), but not necessarily to COMPETE (i.e. JT O'Sullivan). Look, I'm not saying Alex deserves to be handed a starting job, but the same case could be made for some other guys who are essentially guaranteed a starting spot next year. Also, no one is saying to start Alex next year because he's awesome. Its more for continuity sake. Its the ONLY real aspect we haven't seen in the last 7 years. We've done the QB competitons and all that does is stunt development IMO for these guys. I think it affected Alex AND Shaun Hill negatively IMO. Throws off timing, trust building, chemistry, etc. If Alex cant get it down after a solid off season developing trust, timing, and chemistry with his offense and learning the same system for the 2nd year....then dump his a$$ (his contract ends anyway).

I only disagree with the idea of a full fledged QB competition or a fake QB competition. Shaun Hill should have been declared the starter DAY 1 in OTAs. Thats coming from a Smith supporter. In between 07-08...there should have only been a competition between Hill & Smith and it should have been solved after TC. But whatever haha diff thread diff time.

This off season: Continuity.
"Push" may be a better word, I agree
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Once again Alex Smith played okay but did some things that made you think is he the guy and will he ever be the guy. I know, next year is when we can really judge him with him being in the same system for 2 years and with (hopefully) a better O-Line. Im just starting to think wether or not Alex Smith has the vision to be an elite QB or even a real good one.

Bottom line, its a no brainer to bring Alex Smith back next year but I want some competition for him. Shuan Hill is not competition. Drafting a QB in the 1st rd is not the answer or the competition I want either. Nate Davis is not competition either. I think two guys the 49ers should take a long hard look at are Matt Hasselbeck and Marc Bugler who both should be available. I think they would give Alex great compeition and could come in and start games and help us win if need be as well. I like Nate Davis as our 3rd QB next year with him competing with a 3rd or 4th rd draft pick. So yeah that means there is no room for Shuan Hill.

I just worry while we are going to upgrade the talent for 2010, we are always going to be frustrated with Alex Smith and Jimmy Raye and like some people have already said on this board, Alex Smith is starting to look like another Steve Deberg..."He is just good enough to get you beat"

It's not like this team was doing fine before Alex Smith or during Smith's injury plagued seasons. The problem with this team isn't just with QB. It's a lot of areas.

IMO the offensive line is the place to focus during the off season. I think you are right that the 9ers should bring in a veteran QB but as many people have said there isn't much out there. And this Nate Davis savior bandwagon is a bit silly. The kid is a project who hasn't thrown a pass in a real game since training camp. Sure he did well but against guys who are delivering pizzas now. Handing Davis the job next year if Smith does poorly is just stupid.

The line of progression for next year's offense at QB goes something like this:

1) Alex Smith
2) Shaun Hill (or some new Vet. QB pickup)
3) Nate Davis

If Smith does poorly then Hill or the vet. QB will get in. Nate Davis will not touch the field next year until we are out of the playoffs or if there are injuries serious enough to warrant him playing.
Competition = less reps for Alex in my mind. I think next year being his last year in contract is enough of a "push" for him. I dont think motivation is his issue. If we are going into the season with him as our starter and I think we are, we should give him ALL the opportunity and practice to prove once and for all he is or isn't the QB for this team.

Splitting reps only destroys timing with WR and TE's.
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A
Alex competed his first year with Rattay, his fourth with Hill and O'Sullivan, and his fifth with Hill.

Let's see what he can do when he is NOT in a timeshare.
Can't we just give Smith the "starter" label and see what he can do with a full offseason knowing he's the starter?

I'm just tired of the excuses, make him the starter if he fails next season we can all move on.
Originally posted by the_woad:
Alex competed his first year with Rattay, his fourth with Hill and O'Sullivan, and his fifth with Hill.

Agreed. Give him all the reps. but I still think it is a smart move to bring in a vet. backup.
I doubt that management will go after either. If they get Hasselback, he will start because he is better. I think they want to make it seem as if they are backing Smith 100% and don't want any "controversy" this offseason.
Originally posted by the_woad:

Exactly. I'm all for bringing in a veteran presence, but I do not want to go through another QB competition - it harms the offense as a whole.

-9fA

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Hasselbeck or Marc Bugler would be wasted money that would only take away reps from Alex Smith and would be no better... they would only come here if they had a good chance to be the starter and we wouldn't be able to give them that. I'm not sure Alex is the QB of the Future but since there wont be a Drew Brees type QB hitting FA... Alex is our best option for 2010 with Nate Davis as the #2.
What's wrong with Nate Davis taking over as the No. 2? I like his upside and think it would be important to find out if he can be "the guy" for the future. Smith may continue to improve or may not, but I think, in addition to giving Smith the opportunity next year as the No. 1, we should continue to develop Davis as his heir. A lot of "draft experts" went on record saying he was a steal and had huge upside. Let's see what he can do. Bulger as the No. 3 ... that might not be a bad idea. Hasselbeck will not sign with a team to be a No. 2 - Seattle will likely keep him as a starter next year.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

A well-thought-out post.

I agree that veteran competition is needed at the QB position. But first, the Niners need to decide if they are going to run a spread offense or a pro set offense. Both Smith and Davis are spread QB's. Hill is a pro set QB. If/when a veteran QB is brought-in for competition, it should be aguy who fits the strategy. Bulger and Hasselbeck are pro set guys, as I see them.
I do like the idea of bringing in a guy like Bulger or Hasselbeck though. I think Dilfer for example really helped Alex adjust. Alex is ahead of where he was in 06 obviously but he is still only 25 and more learning from proven winner(s) never hurt a young QB.
Smith Sucks we need an Upgrade on the position quick! 20 pts on a sorry Lions team with 4 + turnovers unacceptable.
Share 49ersWebzone