LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Plan B

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'd rather gamble on a 4th or 5th rounder than a 1st or 2nd especially given our team needs and available draft talent at QB.

I want Nate to TAKE the #2 job this offseason if nothing else to get the reps so he can actually develop.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Team management's thinking is that Alex will continue to progress with a full off-season as the starter. That's fair...in part because he'll be in the 2nd year of his contract. He'll either make it or not...if not, I'd look for them to groom Nate Davis. He's got a great arm, good size & mobility and seems more pro-ready than Alex was. So, QB's not really a big need at this point.

The biggest thing the Niners can do to improve their weak offense is to beef up the OL. I doubt they'll re-sign Baas, so drafting a top OG is a need...so is RT. Jury's still out to some extent on Rachal, too. All the good teams have excellent OL's...ours needs to be better so the offense can really progress.

Another area needing dramatic improvement is the RB corps. There's just not much viable talent behind Gore. We need a big RB...and there are some real dandies this year. We also need more speed in the backfield, so we can bring more skill sets to the offense. When's the last time we ran some good screens or power sweeps? It's been awhile.

Bottom line is making a change at QB isn't the answer...at least not now. The key to Alex's success is to improve the support around him. We've got a good receiving corps now...yes, they need to hang onto the ball better, but the talent's there. It's the OL and RB corps that need to improve...if they do that, we'll see a much better and more consistent offense next season.

Amazing! It's like you didn't even read the opening post. The title is "Plan B". That means IF Alex doesn't pan out we need a back up plan and what better time to do it than when you have two relatively high first round picks and someone (like Alex) that he can sit and learn behind?

I dont know about your math books in school, but last time I checked it said 3 - 1 = 2. There are probably only two open spots on the line, RT and LG. By my count even if we draft a QB we still have 2 high picks to address the line and thats assuming we do nothing in FA. In my opinion, that is the ONLY PRESSING NEED. Although I would like more depth at saftey Goldson is a lock and Lewis is more than servicesable. I am a little worried about concusions for Lewis, but as of now he is our starter and a good one at that. I think you have a very valid point about running backs, but I dont think there is anyway on God's green earth that we use one of our top 3 picks on one. This team is too worried what Gore might think, not to mention a solid Oline can make an average RB look great.

I guess my point is I dont get all these arguments that some how drafting a QB will mean we neglect our area's of need, mainly O line? The key is we need to keep all of our core players, that includes Clement.

I just thought of a couple of other things:

I dont see us drafting a PR/KR in the first three spots.

I would love for us to go after the RAMs saftey and move Goldson to SS. We have the cap space.

With what Brooks has shown I would be very suprised to see us take a Passrusher as the coaches probably will wieght Brooks potential vs rookie.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone