LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 358 users in the forums

Ok

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I would love to have Gore a few more years, but we still need to draft a legit backup. I think it's safe to say Coffee is a bust.

*insert facepalm here*

just because he's not an upgrade over Gore doesn't mean he's a bust
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I hate it how players play awesome on their contract years i.e. Vernon

It's not his contract year, it's next year.
players i would re-sign quickly:

-patrick willis
-vernon davis
-frank gore
-ahmad brooks
-aubrayo franklin

second tier:

-dre bly
-dashon goldson
-manny lawson
I would love to have Gore a few more years, but we still need to draft a legit backup. I think it's safe to say Coffee is a bust.

how is it safe to say that he's a bust lol, wtf...
lets say their is indeed a new CBA and a 140M Salary Cap, in which we have 52.97M in cap space.

well, this is how i would divide it.

Take about 6M for Rookie Pool

Take about 8M for Franklin and his Franchise Tag

Take about 11M for a Willis Extension

Take about 5M for a Vernon Davis extension

Then, allocate 5M during the 2010 season for emergencies.

leaving $17.97M to sign FA's. That should be enough to get 1 big signing and a few smaller signings.

Say Mankins or Peppers and some other OL and DL. Or just extend Gore and Goldson also. And build thru the draft.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

I dont buy the bust crap, he didnt have a full yr aklready and he is labeled a bust, i bet people thought Vernon was one cause he hadnt progressed.

Takes time for players to develop.
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
people are saying we need somebody to spell gore or to share the load with gore because he always gets hurt.

When the guy is in he produces. 1000 yards 4 consecutive seasons what more do you want.

Gore is not the problem, healthy or not he is our best choice and our biggest offensive threat any given sunday.

Gore is NOT the problem but we definitely need someone to spell him from time to time and who can also come in and produce when Frank gets his ANNUAL ankle injury!
Yorks/McC need to make an earnest commitment by spending at least $20M on one or two really good free agents. Often, however, these FAs re-sign with their teams before we get a chance at them.

Because of short shelf-life, a team needs to bring in a quality RB about every 5 years. Hence it is time to draft one to be Frank's heir. Frank will not last much longer.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

I dont buy the bust crap, he didnt have a full yr aklready and he is labeled a bust, i bet people thought Vernon was one cause he hadnt progressed.

Takes time for players to develop.

Some people tend to forget that when an average (2nd - 4th round) college RB enters the NFL he's not entirely up to 'NFL' size in terms of physical shape and mechanics until his second or third year.

Coffee will be physically/mechanically molded into a reliably-effective '2nd-role' (playing) RB, and that's pretty much the sole reason we drafted him.

I disagree that Coffee is a bust; too soon to tell. Also, I think Patrick Clayton showed promise before his season ending injury. He may be able to take over or back up Gore.....
[ Edited by kemp_j on Dec 31, 2009 at 9:07 AM ]

Ok dokey?
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Dec 31, 2009 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I hate it how players play awesome on their contract years i.e. Vernon

I would love to see Alex Smith plays awesome in his contract year! Isn't next year the last year of his contract?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
lets say their is indeed a new CBA and a 140M Salary Cap, in which we have 52.97M in cap space.

well, this is how i would divide it.

Take about 6M for Rookie Pool

Take about 8M for Franklin and his Franchise Tag

Take about 11M for a Willis Extension

Take about 5M for a Vernon Davis extension

Then, allocate 5M during the 2010 season for emergencies.

leaving $17.97M to sign FA's. That should be enough to get 1 big signing and a few smaller signings.

Say Mankins or Peppers and some other OL and DL. Or just extend Gore and Goldson also. And build thru the draft.

I would love for this, but if you're Willis why would you want to do an extension now? If he waits until the end of his contract he's got a really good chance of having five Pro Bowls under his belt and will be the most highly courted FA player and can demand huge money.
Originally posted by pelos21:
Man if we signed Logan Mankins we are set!

he's #1 on my wish list also but we need some more also. A S, 2-3 total OL, KR/PR, passrusher
Originally posted by kemp_j:

I don't agree that Coffee is a bust. He's no Frank Gore, but I think bust is a harsh description........ A better OL (once again) may improve Coffee's performance.......

Unfortunately, Coffee was picked on the premise that we'd be a run-first offense. Now that that no longer appears to be the case, Coffee is the wrong back-up for Gore. What we need is a more shifty change of pace back who can catch passes out of the backfield. Sheets might have been that guy, but that's water under the bridge. That being said, I don't think Coffee is necessarily a bust, but he certainly isn't ideal for what the Niners' offense has evolved into.
Share 49ersWebzone