LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Making Changes: A Quarterback Change Will Not Help us.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
17 straight 3rd downs without a conversion...At what point, does this become the QB's fault as well? Especially, when he is supposed to be so intelligent, and can also make plays with his legs.

This team is a QB/RT/FS away from being a playoff team, and possibly even a contender.

I'd analyze each and every 3rd down to answer that. Were they run or pass plays? Was Smith being sacked? Did players drop passes?

Look at those things to evaluate how much Alex has had to do with that.

Alex makes bad decisions all of the time. More often than not he does not give his WRs a chance to run with the ball. A different QB will make a difference. Some QB's are not bothered by lineman running at them.

Who will make a difference?

And bad decisions all of the time? Really? Substantiate the argument.

There are examples in every game that he has played this year. Alex does not have to go to his check down every time he is pressured. If Alex is hearing footsteps because of the amount of times he has been hit, it might be time to get somebody else in there who is not going to overreact when a lineman runs at him.

All of the winning teams have a QB who can make throws under pressure. Alex is not it.

I can argue that a late throw is bad decision. There were at least two examples of late throws today alone that killed drives.

Agreed. Alex is simply not very good; better yet; he is not good and closer to being bad than good.

The overall intelligence level and inability to think things through by some here is utterly disturbing to say the least.

This board is incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad he's improved his hard count, and 15 yard seam route to VD.

His pocket presence is still not where it should be, his deep ball is worse than ever, he still lacks "touch" by throwing a bullet at his RB standing 3 yards away, and wide open.

Face it, VD has bailed him out on many TD throws, few TE's/WR's, can run that seam route the way he does, make the catch over the shoulder, while getting hit, and still hold on. The Crabtree TD, both of em were tough catches, and so was Gore's TD.

He doesn't make it easy for his receivers at all, complain about the drops, but then you also have to complain about the placement of some of those passes.

If we want to compare, let's do it with Rogers, same s**tty OL, if not worse, and still makes plays. The Packers have 41 dropped passes as a team, while the Niners only have 30 (13 w/Hill)...No to mention the huge difference when both QB's are under pressure, Alex sits at 48 percent, while Rodgers 58 percent passing completion - 7 TD's 1 INT, while still getting sacked 48 times, compared to Alex's 18.

We took the wrong QB, it's blatantly obvious how much better Rodgers is, and it's not even by a little, there is not debate at all, that's sad.

Rodgers
Smith

I hope that was "intelligent" enough.
That was from the other thread Smith thread...because we need like 8 of them.

I believe that with a RT/LG/Safety/Pass rusher, this team can be a good playoff team (even if only 3 of those would happen), no doubt about it, with a solid QB, this team can be SB contender.

If you're arguing Rodgers vs. Smith in regards to my post, you're missing the point. I'm not making comparisons and I don't care whether or not Rodgers -- who had 3 years to learn under and incredible hall of fame QB -- should've been the pick or not. And that 3 years of development is an amount of time we absolutely do not have in order to develop a new QB.

The whole point is that changing our QB right now going into next year is NOT an intelligent move in any way whatsoever. It won't get us into the playoffs and will only hinder this team further. If we trade our picks away, they're going to get pummeled because we won't have any line built around them. Not only that, we'll be getting 2nd tier players to build up our pass-rush and secondary so how can expect our defense to improve? We need to build our line to help our entire offense as a whole, not just our passing game.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
The Niners were on an 0-17 drought on third downs, that's a complete joke. An upgrade at QB would certainly help a team right now that's near dead last in third down efficiency.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Take a look what Alex does when he does have time. He still puts the ball in the wrong place, just because a receiver catches it doesn't make it a good pass. Twice in the first half the receiver had to come back to catch a screen pass.. He might be the best the 49ers have had since Garcia, but he is a bottom feeder. If he was cut tomorrow, how many teams would make him their starter? ZERO! I don't understand how all these zoners keep making excuses for all the ineptness associated with this team.

The overall intelligence level and inability to think things through by some here is utterly disturbing to say the least.

This board is incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad he's improved his hard count, and 15 yard seam route to VD.

His pocket presence is still not where it should be, his deep ball is worse than ever, he still lacks "touch" by throwing a bullet at his RB standing 3 yards away, and wide open.

Face it, VD has bailed him out on many TD throws, few TE's/WR's, can run that seam route the way he does, make the catch over the shoulder, while getting hit, and still hold on. The Crabtree TD, both of em were tough catches, and so was Gore's TD.

He doesn't make it easy for his receivers at all, complain about the drops, but then you also have to complain about the placement of some of those passes.

If we want to compare, let's do it with Rogers, same s**tty OL, if not worse, and still makes plays. The Packers have 41 dropped passes as a team, while the Niners only have 30 (13 w/Hill)...No to mention the huge difference when both QB's are under pressure, Alex sits at 48 percent, while Rodgers 58 percent passing completion - 7 TD's 1 INT, while still getting sacked 48 times, compared to Alex's 18.

We took the wrong QB, it's blatantly obvious how much better Rodgers is, and it's not even by a little, there is not debate at all, that's sad.

Rodgers
Smith

I hope that was "intelligent" enough.
That was from the other thread Smith thread...because we need like 8 of them.

I believe that with a RT/LG/Safety/Pass rusher, this team can be a good playoff team (even if only 3 of those would happen), no doubt about it, with a solid QB, this team can be SB contender.

If you're arguing Rodgers vs. Smith in regards to my post, you're missing the point. I'm not making comparisons and I don't care whether or not Rodgers -- who had 3 years to learn under and incredible hall of fame QB -- should've been the pick or not. And that 3 years of development is an amount of time we absolutely do not have in order to develop a new QB.

The whole point is that changing our QB right now going into next year is NOT an intelligent move in any way whatsoever. It won't get us into the playoffs and will only hinder this team further. If we trade our picks away, they're going to get pummeled because we won't have any line built around them. Not only that, we'll be getting 2nd tier players to build up our pass-rush and secondary so how can expect our defense to improve? We need to build our line to help our entire offense as a whole, not just our passing game.

No, that wasn't what I was arguing, I was just trying to point how much better Rodgers is than Smith, what a real QB looks like, whom both are very much under the same situation; some could argue Smith even has it easier.

Who cares that he was "learning" from Favre, Steve Young and many others would've still been good/great QB's even if they wouldn't have had another great QBs to learn from. Not only that, plenty of QB's started in their rookie year, and turned out very successful.

I agree with you there, even if we draft the next coming of Joe Montana, it will hinder the team for the next 2 years...but, I rather try and fix it now. Sure we can be a playoff team with Alex if we address other issues on our team, but only a good/great QB will bring us a SB; and, even up to now, Alex hasn't shown he can be that QB, at all.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Dec 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
The Niners were on an 0-17 drought on third downs, that's a complete joke. An upgrade at QB would certainly help a team right now that's near dead last in third down efficiency.

Who? Seriously. Everyone says we need an upgrade, but who is going to be better on this current team?

Who do we have time to develop? No one. Who can we afford to trade for? No one. Our best, and most realistic option at this point is to keep Smith and let him experience some continuity on offense, playing out next season.

Smith won't be back if he doesn't play well enough, and Davis should be ready by year three, so we can let our promising young Mr. Nate take over, which I'd be absolutely fine with.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
17 straight 3rd downs without a conversion...At what point, does this become the QB's fault as well? Especially, when he is supposed to be so intelligent, and can also make plays with his legs.

This team is a QB/RT/FS away from being a playoff team, and possibly even a contender.

QB can't do much with no pass protection, and TERRIBLE PLAY CALLS.

Exactly! what people forget. sheeesh1
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

QB can't do much with no pass protection, and TERRIBLE PLAY CALLS.

Exactly! what people forget. sheeesh1

Rodgers can do it with a s**tty OL, Ben can do it with a s**tty OL, terrible play calls? I thought Alex wanted the spread/shotgun, that's what everybody else here wanted too, no?

More Alexcuses.

[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Dec 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM ]
There is no magic bullet that is going to fix this team by itself. Not a QB. Not a KR/PR. Not a RT, OG, playmaking FS, stud passrusher, or anything else. We can disagree on the order our needs should be addressed, but arguing any one of those things isn't a need in the first place simply ignores the reality of our situation.

We're an 8-8 team talentwise. Realistically, we need to upgrade several positions to be contenders. And we can't fight the draft and/or FA to do so. We can't afford to trade up for a QB, but we can't pass on a QB if one falls into our laps Crabtree style, either.

Alex has earned the right the come back as our uncontested starter, provided our roster remains unchanged at QB. But lets not pretend that makes him a great QB or even the clear longterm answer to our QB problems. He may develop into that guy, but he's isn't that guy right now.

Pretending all we need is a new QB makes about as much sense as pretending QB isn't a need in the first place. Both of those arguments are full of fail.
Smith is the QB of the 49ers.

GET USED TO IT!

We don't have a good QB, yet a change won't help us? Ok that makes absolutely no sense. Granted hindsight drafting Alex over A-Rod makes no sense, hah.
Originally posted by Overkill:
There is no magic bullet that is going to fix this team by itself. Not a QB. Not a KR/PR. Not a RT, OG, playmaking FS, stud passrusher, or anything else. We can disagree on the order our needs should be addressed, but arguing any one of those things isn't a need in the first place simply ignores the reality of our situation.

We're an 8-8 team talentwise. Realistically, we need to upgrade several positions to be contenders. And we can't fight the draft and/or FA to do so. We can't afford to trade up for a QB, but we can't pass on a QB if one falls into our laps Crabtree style, either.

Alex has earned the right the come back as our uncontested starter, provided our roster remains unchanged at QB. But lets not pretend that makes him a great QB or even the clear longterm answer to our QB problems. He may develop into that guy, but he's isn't that guy right now.

Pretending all we need is a new QB makes about as much sense as pretending QB isn't a need in the first place. Both of those arguments are full of fail.

Thank you, you understand the big picture.

All I really have to add, is that I believe -- or know, rather -- that they're still trying to decipher if Alex can be the long term answer, and I don't think they've been able to do that with just 7 starts this year, nor will they be able to do that with a total of 9 starts this year..

Alex is going to have to really impress in his contract year -- and that's where they're giving him that opportunity to prove he is the long term answer. He may not be, but he's done enough to be given the opportunity. It's the most sensible thing to do at this point. If he can't... well, he walks and Nate takes over and we aren't sitting here waiting for several more years to find a QB.
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
We don't have a good QB, yet a change won't help us? Ok that makes absolutely no sense. Granted hindsight drafting Alex over A-Rod makes no sense, hah.

Just read a little more closely. We're talking about changing starting QB's for 2010. That will not help us get into the playoffs in 2010.

I'd analyze each and every 3rd down to answer that. Were they run or pass plays? Was Smith being sacked? Did players drop passes?

Look at those things to evaluate how much Alex has had to do with that.

Alex makes bad decisions all of the time. More often than not he does not give his WRs a chance to run with the ball. A different QB will make a difference. Some QB's are not bothered by lineman running at them.

Do you even watch football, hmm, i think the last time smith did that, you want to say IR.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Take a look what Alex does when he does have time. He still puts the ball in the wrong place, just because a receiver catches it doesn't make it a good pass. Twice in the first half the receiver had to come back to catch a screen pass.. He might be the best the 49ers have had since Garcia, but he is a bottom feeder. If he was cut tomorrow, how many teams would make him their starter? ZERO! I don't understand how all these zoners keep making excuses for all the ineptness associated with this team.

Im with u, no more excuses. but it appears that we're stuck with our bust one more yr. hope we'll do better 2010.

Share 49ersWebzone