LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

Finally a comparison that nobody can dispute - Alex Smith vs Matt Stafford

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
In years past, we tried to compare Smith to other first round QBs, but the entire zone would jump in and say that the comparison wasn't fair, because the other QB went to a better team. We now have Matt Stafford, who went #1 overall to the worst team in NFL history. Those excuses are all gone now.

Alex Smith year 1 (9 games):
1 TD passing, 0 rushing TDs, 11 Int's, 875 yards, 40.8 passer rating

Matt Stafford year 1 (first 9 games - last game not included):
12 TD's passing, 2 rushing TDs, 18 Int's, 2,124 yards, 61.0 passer rating

I know it is 5 years later, but now that there is finally a comparison that people swinging from Smith's balls cannot refute, I thought we should look at it.

Now Smith will win these last two games with a high passer rating, like all other NFL teams and QBs that have played the Lions and the Rams, and that will result in irrational exuberance on this board regarding Smith's capabilities. I think the data shows however that his is a very, very average QB whose career has been propped up by his great attitude and endless excuses by those around him. His stats through five years are in fact not better than Tim Couch's stats!
All of this comparison horses**t doesn't matter. Alex Smith has until the end of next season (when his contract is up) to prove to the 49ers Organization that he is the future, or he's gone. That's it. Everything else is worthless, fannish, dumbass bulls**t.
Megatron > B Lloyd

and who ever said your rookie year will determine how good you can be?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
A stat I believe in is yards per attempt, go sort the NFL QB list by this stat, you won't see any bad ones with high yards per attempt, Alex is at 6.0 this year, near the bottom. I think at best he will be average, he isn't even close to average yet.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Megatron > B Lloyd

this
Megatron > B Lloyd

/thread.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Megatron > B Lloyd

ok, how about 5 years of Tim Couch's stats being better than 5 years of Alex Smith stats??
Originally posted by Shaj:
Megatron > B Lloyd

ok, how about 5 years of Tim Couch's stats being better than 5 years of Alex Smith stats??

How about we wait until this time in 2010
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Megatron > B Lloyd

are you hiring? I want you to be my boss. I would love to have 6 years of laying goose eggs and have you still being patient with me.
Megatron > B Lloyd

Alex has 5 years worth of stats? Wow where was I in 2007,2008, and the first half of 2009?

Here we go again.
quote=Shaj]
Megatron > B Lloyd

Who cares? Ever seen troy aikman or steve young's stats the first five years? And you failed to mention who would be the successor at qb. Oh wait, you can't. Let's ride this season out and see what happens. Finally, couch had played A LOT more games at the age of 25 vs. Smith. Gametime experience is huge when seeing how good a qb actually is. Time will tell.
[ Edited by dave1003 on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM ]
Megatron > B Lloyd

are you hiring? I want you to be my boss. I would love to have 6 years of laying goose eggs and have you still being patient with me.

Are you still under my contract?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Megatron > B Lloyd

Alex has 5 years worth of stats? Wow where was I in 2007,2008, and the first half of 2009?

Megatron > B Lloyd

The big difference is that Smith has improved every year and not hit a wall.

Sorry to say mate, this thread is fail.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone