LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Cody Wallace Promotion: Reading the Tea Leaves

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I only noticed him when they said he was going in
Originally posted by pelos21:

I'd have to go back and look at the game, but I'd say he took less than a dozen snaps. Maybe someone can beat me to the punch on exactly how many plays he was in.
  • dj43
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Heitman today once again showed why he stinks and is one of the guys that has to be replaced on the offensive line. How many times you see him getting pushed back and on his ass... Him, Snyder and Baas (at least needs to be challenged) need to be replaced on the O-Line in 2010.

In order to analyze Heitmann, you have to run the tape back and forth several times. In many cases, he winds up trying to guess whether Rachal or Baas is going to get beat in either the A gap or the B. The result is he winds up only able to take a lateral angle on the rusher, and, of course that makes him look like he is getting beat when the truth is it is almost ALWAYS one of the guards' guys that he is trying to pick up to save the guard.

If all one looks at is what is happening 1.5 seconds after the snap, you miss what is really happening.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Heitmann is not our best OL. Staley is by a long shot now, hell even Sims out played Heitmann.
I can also build an argument that can put Baas over Heitmann.

Cody Wallace has only been a center

Quote:
Wallace will dress on Sunday and will likely see action on special teams before any offensive line duty. Singletary said he would try to work Wallace in for a series or two at center if possible.

if he performs well don't expect Heitmann to be around much longer
there have been many times where The rush comes right by Heitmann. Whether it's his guy or not , he is in charge of calling out the blocking assignments. If there is a breakdown in assignment then that falls on Heitmann. And we have had quite a few of those all season

You are one of five people in the universe who believes Heitmann is a liability on this team, but you've always been biased against him, even after the beat writers explained that he was the best OL in 2009.

Your biased has blinded you from any rational arguments. Arguing Heitmann is a problem is as bad as claiming Willis is a liability.

Wow isn't that like the pot calling the keettle black. Is that how that saying goes?

And please, you of all people should never NEVER try to justify your stance based on what our beat writter says!!!!! Remember you where the one who called for their heads and questioned their opinions and sai that the niners paid them off. So please come back with something better.

Both beat writers, who speak with the team on a weekly basis, including coaches, have a pretty good idea on who graded out the best on the team, and is considered the best lineman on the team.

You should just admit that you don't like him, and that no matter whether the coaching staff, the beat writers, and nearly everyone who follows the game on the planet thinks he is a good player, it will never matter, because you want to dislike him.

Just own up to your bias.

You mean th same beat writers that you yourself called out and insulted? Or the same beat writters who you yourself questioned their integrety and intelect? Or the same beat writters who you yourself swore up and down that they know nothing and are paid off by the team?

The issue over Crabtree had nothing to do with on the field performance. It was about the value of a contract.

I have never stated the writers "no nothing", so stop attempting to make up things that are untrue to support a wobbly argument. Your argument that Heitmann is not a good football players is well documented, you were humiliated last year after the "Eric Heitmann is a Good Football Player" thread, and you are praying for him to fail. Just own up to it.

I never said Heitmann is a bad football player. I said he is overrated on these boards and by you. Get it right. Also when that thread was started last year Heitmann was struggling, His play started to improve when Rachal was inserted as the starter.

But my friend, there is a difference between you and me. I don't want or cheer for any niner to fail just to prove my point. When they are on the field wearing red and gold for those "60" minutes, I cheer and support my "team" and it's players. I'm also not afraid to admit I was wrong. In fact in that thread (which I was part of the majority by the way) I did return and I did give Heitmann credit for his improvement. That act, by the way, is something you have yet been able to man up and do yourself.

As for today, I thought Heitmann was a hit and miss. At times he looked really good and at times he was dominated. But of course my views are bias, as if yours are not. If you don't believe me ask vrab, he was sitting with me and being that we have opposite views, we had a few disagreements and conversations about Heitmanns play by play action.

Oh by the way maddog, how's Battle doing?

I'd have to go back and look at the game, but I'd say he took less than a dozen snaps. Maybe someone can beat me to the punch on exactly how many plays he was in.

Supposedly he only played one snap...

(maiocco)

-9fA
Also maddog the Crabtree situation has everything to do with it. They shared their opinion and You flipped out on them and anyone who agreed with them. I on the other hand just respectfully disagree on their opinions about Heitmann.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

(maiocco)

-9fA

That is correct. He came in on the goal line play
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

(maiocco)

-9fA
double post
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Dec 27, 2009 at 9:00 PM ]
Sunday will be a gigantic day for offensive lineman Cody Wallace, the Niners' 4th round draftee from Texas A&M in the 2008 NFL Draft. Wallace was drafted as an insurance policy for Eric Heitmann, who was recovering from injuries in the 2007 season.

Wallace will be on the active 45-man roster for Sunday's game for the first time in his career, and the team indicates he will play a few series. Congrats, Cody!

Now, what does this mean? Cody's promotion is an experiment, and the target is left guard David Baas, who may leave in free agency. The Niners have to decide whether they want to keep Baas on the roster in 2010. Since they already know about current LG backup, Tony Wragge, they need to know how Wallace can play in real-game situations.

The real question is: Will they play Wallace at center or left guard in this game? If they play him at center, it probably means the team is looking to see if he can play at a high enough level at center to allow the team to move Heitmann to the left guard position in 2010. If Cody plays left guard in this game, and Heitmann remains at center, then it is a comparison between the older, experienced Baas, and the young, inexperienced Wallace.

If I am a betting man, I'm guessing they would like to see him play center, as Heitmann outweighs Cody by a good ten pounds. Generally, centers play at around 300 pounds, and guards at 310+.

What this promotion and playing by Cody DOES NOT MEAN is a removal from Heitmann in the starting lineup. Heitmann isn't going anywhere. Once again, as in 2008, he's been the best OL on the team.

On final note: Baas was elected by his fellow offensive linemen with the Bobb McKittrick Award. Is this a going away present for a mainstay on the OL for the past few years, or a push by the OL for the organization to hold onto him for 2010 and beyond?

Cheers.

Just an fyi, I read somewhere this week that Wallace said that he was up to 310.
He played one series...I don't necessarily think it means anything significant other than to finally see him in action. It's possible they'd move Heitmann to OG...that's where he started out. It's also possible Coach simply wanted to see what he's got in Wallace...because if Heitmann went down, he'd have to plug someone in at C. A forgotten man along the OL is Wragge...he can play both C and OG. For some reason, Singletary hasn't used him other than as an extra blocker on certain plays. Whatever, we still need to draft a top OT and OG...because the current OG's leave too much to be desired and RT just needs someone to take charge of the position.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He played one series...I don't necessarily think it means anything significant other than to finally see him in action. It's possible they'd move Heitmann to OG...that's where he started out. It's also possible Coach simply wanted to see what he's got in Wallace...because if Heitmann went down, he'd have to plug someone in at C. A forgotten man along the OL is Wragge...he can play both C and OG. For some reason, Singletary hasn't used him other than as an extra blocker on certain plays. Whatever, we still need to draft a top OT and OG...because the current OG's leave too much to be desired and RT just needs someone to take charge of the position.

Simms has played so well at LT this season, but has played soooo miserably at RT previously, that I wouldn't mind seeing the coaches move Staley to RT and leave Simms at LT. That could solve our imediate T problems and then we only need worry about the interior and back up positions.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Simms has played so well at LT this season, but has played soooo miserably at RT previously, that I wouldn't mind seeing the coaches move Staley to RT and leave Simms at LT. That could solve our imediate T problems and then we only need worry about the interior and back up positions.

I think if Simms were younger that the team might do as you thought that they should do. But with Simms age, that to draft a RT would be a better way to go and if it turns out that we need a new Oline coach that could really develop our Oline that would be helpful also. Staley plays well at LT but Simms did well also.

So there is the possibility that Wallace goes to Center and Heitmann goes to OG. In any case we need some serious revamping on our Oline to get consistent productivity. Then we can determine if Smith can play or if it is a line issue.
Share 49ersWebzone