LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Clements or Bly to Free Safety NEXT Year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Bly is way to small to play FS. If Clements is willing to move to FS and take a paycut I would love for that to happen

If Merton Hanks can play FS then Dre Bly can play FS.

~Ceadder
Bly shouldn't be re-signed, much less be moved to a position he's never played.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Bly is way to small to play FS. If Clements is willing to move to FS and take a paycut I would love for that to happen

~Ceadder

What? Hanks moved to safety in his second year. Bly is an 11 year vet who's never played safety at the pro level. The comparison is a bad one.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
its not gonna happen, idk why we keep discussing this, clements already said he gonna stay at corner and isnt open to safety.

Clements had better play wherever they tell him to play. It isn't up to him to be "open" to anything. I'd move him to SS. He's big enough, a good tackler, and a good hitter. He would add speed to the starting secondary overall. Bly is a corner. He isn't big enough to be a safety.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

What? Hanks moved to safety in his second year. Bly is an 11 year vet who's never played safety at the pro level. The comparison is a bad one.

Oh okay, how bout RONNIE FREAKIN LOTT? He didn't move in his 2nd year.

I'm not saying that he'd make the transition smoothly but the Free Safety is the guy that is the freelance of the Secondary. The guy that ball hawks when he can and helps cover the most probable target of the Opposing QB. Now if Bly doesn't fit that then NOBODY does.

However it doesn't really matter does it. He probably won't get re-signed thus making this argument MOOT. My only issue is that people seem to think that because the man is an aging vet that he can't make the transition.

I'm 40 and I'm making a career change. I find it extremely condescending that people think that because I've done one thing all my career that I can't do anything else.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves for having such limited imagination.

~Ceadder
what is with the obsession every year with moving a CB to FS?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
what is with the obsession every year with moving a CB to FS?

Isn't it obvious?

Corners understand how to play against Receivers, so do good solid Safeties. Sometimes the best Safeties are converted Corners. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we have someone who could make that move.

I think that when Nolan tried to convert Rumph to Safety that it inspired others to believe that better Corners would make better Safeties.

Now me I don't see the team moving Nate to Safety. He's still a solid Corner. He doesn't want to be a Safety and the team more than likely would not want to continue paying him the kind of money they are to play Free Safety. But that isn't beyond the realm of possibility either.

But Bly on the other hand is an 11 year Vet. He's nearing the end of his career and the big money contract that people believe that he'll get with another club, just may not be there. It's not unheard of for a solid DB to change roles. And he may just want to be a part of what this team is trying to achieve.

Personally I don't think that he will be here. But I can see the issues are favorable for Bly if he did change roles and stayed with the team.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone