LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Clements or Bly to Free Safety NEXT Year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Some readers have missed the point, the Niners aren't going to pay Clements six million to be a third or forth C.B. Maybe you're right and he'd be better at S.S., but he will have to redo his contract and agree to a move into a new position. I don't see that happening. Bly on the other hand might move, as his career is winding down. I think Bly could also play S.S. well.

Nate Clements
Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.
2007 600000.00
2008 3383334.00
2009 3516666.00
2010 6000000.00
2011 7250000.00
2012 9000000.00
2013 10770000.00
2014 15480000.00

you dont really think bly can play SS do you?

Why not? He's still has speed, tackles well, and is good in coverage. Plus, as a vet he's won't be fooled very much during the season. What's your concerns with Bly?

Bly tackles well??? Since when?
Well my friend, we will have to agree to disagree!

I would like to interject some reality here.

Bly does NOT tackle well. He's better than your average DB but he has a tendency to tackle high. He does it just about every time. As a rule the Strong Safety KNOWS to hit at or below the waist.

Bly would make a SOLID Free Safety but I don't know that a)He's durable enough to take the punishment of a ball hawk Strong Safety. or b)Would be able to fix his tackling mechanics on the spur of the moment like that.

Not saying that he CAN'T do it but, it's unlikely at this point in his career.

If you want to see how a Strong Safey is SUPPOSED to hit dig up some clips on Tim McDonald. Now THAT guy was a pure form tackler. If you have windows 7 run those next to clips of Bly in any season. You'll IMMEDIATELY know that he's not a Strong Safety.

He tackles a tad more Merton Hanks than Tim McDonald.

~Ceadder
Ceadder. I believe every thing you say and accept it about Bly. Iwas wrong. I just wanted to start a positive post about some player possibilities for our secondary next year. I didn't realize that thinking out of the box was so out of the question for some. It's too bad that this board has an institutional bias to attack ideas and not explore them. I welcome all positive comments and disagreements to my ideas or opinions, this can generate good discussions. I just don't under stand why people want to be rude and uncivil as if it's a right and board expectation. Are the barbarians at the gate?
[ Edited by stevenking57 on Dec 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM ]
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Bly can't play safety, do you really want him as the last man back, when beenie wells, brandon jacobs, or some other RB runs right through him?

Incase you didnt get my point.

he is small.
he doesnt seem to like contact.
And he doesn't exactly finish all his tackles, if you have watched him this season.
I hear Adult School has English/grammar classes to help you write better!

I hear that if you stop playing Madden you might tactually be able to obtain real football knowledge. If you are going to give a suggestion to supposedly improve the team then be prepared to be laughed at when your idea is as stupid as moving Dre Bly to play SS. Next time you should take some of that thinking you so politely talked about in the other post and actually try doing it yourself.
Thank you for your kind and well intentioned suggestions! I am sure that any ideas that you don't agree with are stupid. When you are the center of the universe like you, your ideas are always golden I'm sure. Being laughed at is one thing, but being rude and narrow minded is another. There are several people in this forum that seem to have no manners or social skills. I have read many suggestions on this web site, some good some bad, and it never amazes me how some people can't wait to attack them. Is their life so empty that this is the fulfillment that they need? Giving a counter opinion doesn't mean that you have to attack them personally too. Real adults don't behave this way, children do. Is this the way you communicate at your work place or home? If so you must not have much success in your life. Also, I thought we were all Niners fans on this forum; sometimes by the comments written it's hard to believe. So thanks for your positive suggestions and you keep being the positive and kind human being that most likely makes a really popular guy!

when someone makes a suggestion that wouldn't improve the team the slightest bit and would probably make the team worse then yes I would consider it a stupid idea. I don't consider ideologies that differ from my own stupid for that reason alone. Usually if it seems that it lacked any type of thinking process to get to that idea is where it starts to look like a stupid idea. I guess seems how you love to assume that people are uneducated and are of no success in their careers and lives based on the fact that they replied to your childish comments, then I guess that would also mean that you are uneducated and are not a success in your career and life as well. There is one golden rule in life, treat people as you want to be treated. Don't go around treating people like they are below you and then expect them to treat you with respect.

And again to reply to your topic idea Bly would not make a good SS or a FS at that. Clements would be the better candidate for that type of transition based on his skill set and physical abilities.

"There is one golden rule in life, treat people as you want to be treated. Don't go around treating people like they are below you and then expect them to treat you with respect. "
So why wasn't I treated with the golden rule? I didn't attack any one until they started to attack me. Have you written them with your Golden Rule story? If not, why not? Oh yes, IF you think an idea is stupid, then you can be rude, right?
Have you read some of the rude responses I got? I am sorry that I have offended some people , BUT what did I truly do get such rudeness directed my way? Are manners and civil respect too much to ask for? It's funny when a guy fires back after being so rudely treated everyone gets upset. What, can't the bullies take their own treatment? My FIRST post had NO negative comments about anyone. Agree or disagree people can still be polite and civil. I am sorry about the Adult school crack, but you know it can get easy to get into the attack mode AFTER you yourself are flamed after an opinion posted. It seems like if some one posts something that they feel beneath THEM then they free to say whatever insults they choose and the person somehow deserves it. Grow the f**k up! This is not how the real world works!

And exactly why guys like me have 75% Warning levels.

I don't always have a warning level but it seems(not blaming the mods here) that I get em for not reigning it in or immediately editing the infartion. Yes I meant Infartion. It's like passing gas indoors. If you don't remove yourself from a high population area you deserve the drty looks.

~Ceadder
Some readers have missed the point, the Niners aren't going to pay Clements six million to be a third or forth C.B. Maybe you're right and he'd be better at S.S., but he will have to redo his contract and agree to a move into a new position. I don't see that happening. Bly on the other hand might move, as his career is winding down. I think Bly could also play S.S. well.

Nate Clements
Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.
2007 600000.00
2008 3383334.00
2009 3516666.00
2010 6000000.00
2011 7250000.00
2012 9000000.00
2013 10770000.00
2014 15480000.00

Why not? He's still has speed, tackles well, and is good in coverage. Plus, as a vet he's won't be fooled very much during the season. What's your concerns with Bly?

Bly does NOT tackle well. He's better than your average DB but he has a tendency to tackle high. He does it just about every time. As a rule the Strong Safety KNOWS to hit at or below the waist.

Bly would make a SOLID Free Safety but I don't know that a)He's durable enough to take the punishment of a ball hawk Strong Safety. or b)Would be able to fix his tackling mechanics on the spur of the moment like that.

If you want to see how a Strong Safey is SUPPOSED to hit dig up some clips on Tim McDonald. Now THAT guy was a pure form tackler. If you have windows 7 run those next to clips of Bly in any season. You'll IMMEDIATELY know that he's not a Strong Safety.

~Ceadder
Ceadder. I believe every thing you say and accept it about Bly. Iwas wrong. I just wanted to start a positive post about some player possibilities for our secondary next year. I didn't realize that thinking out of the box was so out of the question for some. It's too bad that this board has an institutional bias to attack ideas and not explore them. I welcome all positive comments and disagreements to my ideas or opinions, this can generate good discussions. I just don't under stand why people want to be rude and uncivil as if it's a right and board expectation. Are the barbarians at the gate?

I understand man. I was gonna get on ya for the adult school crack, but you followed up on it. All I would have said it's "Adult Education" not "School". But you got it cleaned up and that is all that matters not the term. But nowyou know this too.

And brotha I applaud thinking outside the box. If you wish to see how this is treated around here just read most anything I write and the follow up responses. A good part of them are solid intelligent and good natured. But there are some that get downright personal. I don't know that it's meant intentionally to be that way though. I think that some people just don't realize where funny stops and flaming begins. That's the problem with the written word. Unless you've tapped into your inner Zane Grey or Ernest Hemingway it's hard to comment and not be taken out of context.

~Ceadder

Nate Clements
2007 600000.00
2008 3383334.00
2009 3516666.00
2010 6000000.00
2011 7250000.00
2012 9000000.00
2013 10770000.00
2014 15480000.00

~Ceadder

I understand man. I was gonna get on ya for the adult school crack, but you followed up on it. All I would have said it's "Adult Education" not "School". But you got it cleaned up and that is all that matters not the term. But nowyou know this too.

And brotha I applaud thinking outside the box. If you wish to see how this is treated around here just read most anything I write and the follow up responses. A good part of them are solid intelligent and good natured. But there are some that get downright personal. I don't know that it's meant intentionally to be that way though. I think that some people just don't realize where funny stops and flaming begins. That's the problem with the written word. Unless you've tapped into your inner Zane Grey or Ernest Hemingway it's hard to comment and not be taken out of context.

~Ceadder
I was out of line with the Adult Ed. crack and I knew it. Shame on me. All I want is to have positive communications about the Niners and talk about how they could be a better team. I think that there are a lot of bitter folks out there who want to share the pain of their life. I try very hard not the be too critical of the team and try to come up with positive solutions for the future. If that make me a jerk so be it. But getting back to our strong safety issue, Tarrell Brown could be a WEAK safety and Goldson could be a strong safety IF we pick a top C.B. in the draft our seconday could be an ass kicker.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
its not gonna happen, idk why we keep discussing this, clements already said he gonna stay at corner and isnt open to safety.

people dont listen/read/think.

1) Money talks 2) he is a player and do what coach says 3) he is expendable 4) this is the nfl if he needs to be moved for whatever reason (longevity, productivity he will)... I like him at corner but if he's going to be good at FS the why not?
Bly played for the Niners for chump change. I highly doubt he'll do that again for the Niners. He'll be playing for another team next year who will play him starter money.
its not gonna happen, idk why we keep discussing this, clements already said he gonna stay at corner and isnt open to safety.

too bad its not his decision...
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

too bad its not his decision...

Yeah, he's part of the decision making process. If he doesn't abide by Singletary's request, then he's either going to get released or Singletary is going to tuck his nuts and abide by Clements wish.

With an uncapped year though, don't be surprised to see Clements released and Joe Haden as our new starting CB.
Some readers have missed the point, the Niners aren't going to pay Clements six million to be a third or forth C.B. Maybe you're right and he'd be better at S.S., but he will have to redo his contract and agree to a move into a new position. I don't see that happening. Bly on the other hand might move, as his career is winding down. I think Bly could also play S.S. well. P.S. Could Goldson play S.S?

Nate Clements
2007 600000.00
2008 3383334.00
2009 3516666.00
2010 6000000.00
2011 7250000.00
2012 9000000.00
2013 10770000.00
2014 15480000.00

Have you seen How Bly tackles?? And you think he can play SS? Seriously?

This discussion keeps getting dumb and dumber. Clements does not want to play FS - yet fans keep thinking he will take a pay cut AND switch positions anyway? If he doesn't want to do it for the money he is making now, why would he want to do it for LESS??

And adding Bly into the discussion of moving someone to Safety? Why? Didn't we get enough from NOLAN moving players out of their natural positions? Here's an idea: if you want a Safety, sign or draft a SAFETY!
If it were me I'd play clements at the strong position.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Quote:
he's a sure tackler that likes to hit

Bly is well known for being a terrible tackler
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
Originally posted by darkknight49:

people dont listen/read/think.

1) Money talks 2) he is a player and do what coach says 3) he is expendable 4) this is the nfl if he needs to be moved for whatever reason (longevity, productivity he will)... I like him at corner but if he's going to be good at FS the why not?

Money talks? Clements would get more money playing CB than he would playing FS. What makes you think he wants to get a paycut. The 49ers won't release him, they still owe him a whole chunk of guaranteed change.

-9fA
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Some readers have missed the point, the Niners aren't going to pay Clements six million to be a third or forth C.B. Maybe you're right and he'd be better at S.S., but he will have to redo his contract and agree to a move into a new position. I don't see that happening. Bly on the other hand might move, as his career is winding down. I think Bly could also play S.S. well. P.S. Could Goldson play S.S?

Nate Clements
2007 600000.00
2008 3383334.00
2009 3516666.00
2010 6000000.00
2011 7250000.00
2012 9000000.00
2013 10770000.00
2014 15480000.00

Have you seen How Bly tackles?? And you think he can play SS? Seriously?

This discussion keeps getting dumb and dumber. Clements does not want to play FS - yet fans keep thinking he will take a pay cut AND switch positions anyway? If he doesn't want to do it for the money he is making now, why would he want to do it for LESS??

And adding Bly into the discussion of moving someone to Safety? Why? Didn't we get enough from NOLAN moving players out of their natural positions? Here's an idea: if you want a Safety, sign or draft a SAFETY!

Two words...

RONNIE...

LOTT.

~Ceadder
Clements has already gone on record that he doesn't want to play safety.
Bly is way to small to play FS. If Clements is willing to move to FS and take a paycut I would love for that to happen
Share 49ersWebzone