LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Clements or Bly to Free Safety NEXT Year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by queretano:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Dashon Goldson is our free safety big guy. You want Clements or Bly to sit their asses on the bench behind him?

No you move him to SS where he will probably be a better fit. Michael Lewis is pretty much done as a 49er.

I must agree Goldson could be an upgrade at SS and if someone already in the team could switch and be an upgrade at FS would work wonderfull

Reggie Smith maybe.He has potential and showed it in preseason but needs to stay healthy.

Ohhh he did so well in preseason! That's why he saw a lot of action this year. hahahah
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by dald1:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
its not gonna happen, idk why we keep discussing this, clements already said he gonna stay at corner and isnt open to safety.

when did nate say that?

Said it on KNBR a week or 3 ago. He said "Im a corner" when asked if he'd be open to making the switch to safety. In other words it's not happening.

doesnt mean that they wont move him anywayz he can say hes a corner all he wants if they change his position he's sol

well i heard it on comcast sports net, they asked him how he felt about safety and he said no i play corner during an interview.

and if Singletary walkes up to him and said we're moving you to FS. Guess what position he plays?

Clements is still an above average CB in the league i dont even think CB is a need saftey however is a hige need Goldson is more of a SS than a FS
Bly can't play safety, do you really want him as the last man back, when beenie wells, brandon jacobs, or some other RB runs right through him?

Incase you didnt get my point.

he is small.
he doesnt seem to like contact.
And he doesn't exactly finish all his tackles, if you have watched him this season.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Dec 25, 2009 at 6:06 PM ]
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA funniest thing i ever heard anybody say, Bly play SS HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA i hope your joking or you just lost all credibility with me, the guy weighs like 180 lbs and gets shoved around like a rag doll, he is not very tall either and not known for being physical but rather his coverage skill. A strong safety has to play up on the line aswell to stop the run on running plays, omg wow im done reading this post.
Sorry to have wasted your time, although you disagree with me, which is fine, you could always come up with an IDEA that would forward my idea to improve the team. Of coarse that would take some effort and the ability to think out of the conventional box. I hear that this can actually cause headaches for low level thinkers. You know a more civil response might be that you disagree with me and politely offer your opinion as to how we could improve the secondary. Hopefully, in your professional and personal life you don't cover your ears and blather "I can't hear you, I can't hear you" into infinity. Oh, by the way, have truly merry Xmas!

[ Edited by stevenking57 on Dec 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Bly can't play safety, do you really want him as the last man back, when beenie wells, brandon jacobs, or some other RB runs right through him?
[ Edited by stevenking57 on Dec 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM ]
Originally posted by stevenking57:

he is small.
And he doesn't exactly finish all his tackles, if you have watched him this season.
I hear Adult School has English/grammar classes to help you write better!

I hear that if you stop playing Madden you might tactually be able to obtain real football knowledge. If you are going to give a suggestion to supposedly improve the team then be prepared to be laughed at when your idea is as stupid as moving Dre Bly to play SS. Next time you should take some of that thinking you so politely talked about in the other post and actually try doing it yourself.

he is small.

I hear that if you stop playing Madden you might tactually be able to obtain real football knowledge. If you are going to give a suggestion to supposedly improve the team then be prepared to be laughed at when your idea is as stupid as moving Dre Bly to play SS. Next time you should take some of that thinking you so politely talked about in the other post and actually try doing it yourself.
Thank you for your kind and well intentioned suggestions! I am sure that any ideas that you don't agree with are stupid. When you are the center of the universe like you, your ideas are always golden I'm sure. Being laughed at is one thing, but being rude and narrow minded is another. There are several people in this forum that seem to have no manners or social skills. I have read many suggestions on this web site, some good some bad, and it never amazes me how some people can't wait to attack them. Is their life so empty that this is the fulfillment that they need? Giving a counter opinion doesn't mean that you have to attack them personally too. Real adults don't behave this way, children do. Is this the way you communicate at your work place or home? If so you must not have much success in your life. Also, I thought we were all Niners fans on this forum; sometimes by the comments written it's hard to believe. So thanks for your positive suggestions and you keep being the positive and kind human being that most likely makes a really popular guy!

he is small.

Thank you for your kind and well intentioned suggestions! I am sure that any ideas that you don't agree with are stupid. When you are the center of the universe like you, your ideas are always golden I'm sure. Being laughed at is one thing, but being rude and narrow minded is another. There are several people in this forum that seem to have no manners or social skills. I have read many suggestions on this web site, some good some bad, and it never amazes me how some people can't wait to attack them. Is their life so empty that this is the fulfillment that they need? Giving a counter opinion doesn't mean that you have to attack them personally too. Real adults don't behave this way, children do. Is this the way you communicate at your work place or home? If so you must not have much success in your life. Also, I thought we were all Niners fans on this forum; sometimes by the comments written it's hard to believe. So thanks for your positive suggestions and you keep being the positive and kind human being that most likely makes a really popular guy!

when someone makes a suggestion that wouldn't improve the team the slightest bit and would probably make the team worse then yes I would consider it a stupid idea. I don't consider ideologies that differ from my own stupid for that reason alone. Usually if it seems that it lacked any type of thinking process to get to that idea is where it starts to look like a stupid idea. I guess seems how you love to assume that people are uneducated and are of no success in their careers and lives based on the fact that they replied to your childish comments, then I guess that would also mean that you are uneducated and are not a success in your career and life as well. There is one golden rule in life, treat people as you want to be treated. Don't go around treating people like they are below you and then expect them to treat you with respect.

And again to reply to your topic idea Bly would not make a good SS or a FS at that. Clements would be the better candidate for that type of transition based on his skill set and physical abilities.

he is small.

its not gonna happen, idk why we keep discussing this, clements already said he gonna stay at corner and isnt open to safety.

when did nate say that?

Unless someone answered this already he has said it on KNBR at least twice that I know of. Cause that's what some of those guys keep wanting him to do. Don't know why people are so fired up to move him. He's still solid against over 3/4 of the premiere wideouts in the League. But as with any position familiarity kills. That's why Rice was so damn good for so damn long. He KNEW what guys would do when he stuttered on em. He only had to make a quick adjustment to go the other direction and they looked like Rookies just about every time. The same would go for Clements or any DB in the League right now.

You know that if you give them a proper head fake or stutter fake or eye dart fake they should bite on it.

If we could get Bly locked up for a 2-3 year deal, I would be a very happy man. I admit I was not keen on bringing him in because I thought that if he couldn't stick with a team that had just moderate talent at the position then he must've been in the tank. I should have known you don't mess with anyone named Dre.

That said, if we CAN get him locked up then I'd be all for moving him to FS cause with Nate's return that leaves Dre the odd man out. The only way to get him on the field is to put him in Nickel and Dime situations or convert him. I think that Converting him is the best thing cause then he's on the field with TB. An that right now is as close to "The Dynamic Duo" on the field that this team has seen in a LONG time.

If you're reading this Scottie, that would make a HELL of a Birthday gift. Have Bly locked up by the 21st of February or I'm not a happy camper.

~Ceadder

he is small.

No offense b.o.t., but did you listen to the Steve Young show about a month ago? actually come to think of it, it's more like 4 or 5 weeks ago.

T was asking Steve a rather intelligent Madden referenced question. It didn't have anything to to with this particular avenue of thought but I thought(so did Steve btw) that it was pretty well stated/asked. I'm paraphrasing this mind you but he said...

"I know that Madden is just a game, but when I'm taking the snap and look down field I find myself occasionally having that moment where I just KNOW where the ball is going before I'm even dropping back. Because I've seen what the Opposing Defense is sending my direction and I know to get the ball out quickly... is that how it was for you when you played or am I off on this"

It was something to that effect anyway.

And btw Steve was pretty impressed that a video game could actually teach that to kids, let alone T.

Now normally I would not even THINK about using a Madden reference but I must admit there are times where it could be relevant to the topic of conversation without being wrong.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Dec 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM ]

he is small.

when someone makes a suggestion that wouldn't improve the team the slightest bit and would probably make the team worse then yes I would consider it a stupid idea. I don't consider ideologies that differ from my own stupid for that reason alone. Usually if it seems that it lacked any type of thinking process to get to that idea is where it starts to look like a stupid idea. I guess seems how you love to assume that people are uneducated and are of no success in their careers and lives based on the fact that they replied to your childish comments, then I guess that would also mean that you are uneducated and are not a success in your career and life as well. There is one golden rule in life, treat people as you want to be treated. Don't go around treating people like they are below you and then expect them to treat you with respect.

And again to reply to your topic idea Bly would not make a good SS or a FS at that. Clements would be the better candidate for that type of transition based on his skill set and physical abilities.

"There is one golden rule in life, treat people as you want to be treated. Don't go around treating people like they are below you and then expect them to treat you with respect. "
So why wasn't I treated with the golden rule? I didn't attack any one until they started to attack me. Have you written them with your Golden Rule story? If not, why not? Oh yes, IF you think an idea is stupid, then you can be rude, right?
Have you read some of the rude responses I got? I am sorry that I have offended some people , BUT what did I truly do get such rudeness directed my way? Are manners and civil respect too much to ask for? It's funny when a guy fires back after being so rudely treated everyone gets upset. What, can't the bullies take their own treatment? My FIRST post had NO negative comments about anyone. Agree or disagree people can still be polite and civil. I am sorry about the Adult school crack, but you know it can get easy to get into the attack mode AFTER you yourself are flamed after an opinion posted. It seems like if some one posts something that they feel beneath THEM then they free to say whatever insults they choose and the person somehow deserves it. Grow the f**k up! This is not how the real world works!
[ Edited by stevenking57 on Dec 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM ]

he is small.

I apologize for the Adult School crack. It was uncalled for and I hope you forgive me. I should have continued to direct my comments to the other idiots who were actually attacking me for my opinions and giving logical arguments such as your self. Again, sorry about my rudeness.
Some readers have missed the point, the Niners aren't going to pay Clements six million to be a third or forth C.B. Maybe you're right and he'd be better at S.S., but he will have to redo his contract and agree to a move into a new position. I don't see that happening. Bly on the other hand might move, as his career is winding down. I think Bly could also play S.S. well.

Nate Clements
Signed an eight-year, $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.
2007 600000.00
2008 3383334.00
2009 3516666.00
2010 6000000.00
2011 7250000.00
2012 9000000.00
2013 10770000.00
2014 15480000.00

you dont really think bly can play SS do you?

Why not? He's still has speed, tackles well, and is good in coverage. Plus, as a vet he's won't be fooled very much during the season. What's your concerns with Bly?

Bly tackles well??? Since when?
Well my friend, we will have to agree to disagree!

I would like to interject some reality here.

Bly does NOT tackle well. He's better than your average DB but he has a tendency to tackle high. He does it just about every time. As a rule the Strong Safety KNOWS to hit at or below the waist.

Bly would make a SOLID Free Safety but I don't know that a)He's durable enough to take the punishment of a ball hawk Strong Safety. or b)Would be able to fix his tackling mechanics on the spur of the moment like that.

Not saying that he CAN'T do it but, it's unlikely at this point in his career.

If you want to see how a Strong Safey is SUPPOSED to hit dig up some clips on Tim McDonald. Now THAT guy was a pure form tackler. If you have windows 7 run those next to clips of Bly in any season. You'll IMMEDIATELY see that he's not a Strong Safety.

He tackles a tad more like Merton Hanks than Tim McDonald.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Dec 25, 2009 at 10:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone