LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Evaluating Alex Smith the next two games....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Steve:
Smith has been in the league for how many years? He hasn't proven anything yet and he won't. Watching him for two more games won't make any difference. He could loose the last two games and he will still be here. The handwriting is on the wall and has been for a while. The Niners will piss away another season with him. Hope not, but don't see anything great coming from this quarterback. Playing Hill for the last two games would give us wins for sure, but still won't give us a starting QB for next season. Sorry to say, but we are stuck with Smith. If that miracle happens and he does great, wonderful. If he is our starter next season, I will cheer for him, but am not very hopeful of the results. If next year is a repeat of how he is doing now, then we start all over the next season. When will it stop?

when you don't mortgage half of a decade on a System QB from a small school. The Niners deserve this. You blow a 1.1 pick on the wrong QB and you will lose 5+ years. In short, it will stop when when our GM does not make elementary school mistakes.

A small school? You must be talking about Cal. I don't know if anyone watched the game last night but Utah did not look like a "small school" to me. They didn't look like a small school last year when they beat the crap out of Alabama either. Or the six years before that. They have won 8 bowl games in a row, you know. No, you probably don't.

thats fine. I am not going to argue about Utah. Whatever. The point is, most draft experts agreed that neither QB was 1.1 material. But the Niners desperately wanted a Franchise QB. So everyone knew the Niners were going to bite the bullet. Its not a new strategy, teams like the Lions and Browns have been employing that technique for decades. Oh and then, to top it off, then went ahead to sign the best Tackle available for a lot of money. Well they really WANTED a Franchise QB and a Franchise LT didn't they.

My point was. We can expect to win only when desperation decisions are no longer made.
Originally posted by socal81:
Defensively Detroit & St. Louis are ranked 32nd & 22nd respectively. What kind of numbers does everyone on this board expect Smith to have? Personally, to make me a believer he has to put up at leat 300 yards and a couple of TD's. I he pulls this 20 for 37 for 177 yards crap the guy probably won't be in the league for too long.

His stats will depend entirely on the flow of the game, of course. I expect the defense to play well and the running game to continue to show late season life, and thus there will not be a need for Smith to throw for 300+ yards.

In the passing game I want to see 2 things.

1. Convert third downs! The coaches need to get the receivers to run deep enough routes and Alex needs to find them.
2. Complete passes down the field! (and not just the Vernon seam route) We are going underneath too often and defenses are playing downhill on us more and more each week.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by lamontb:
It really is working out perfectly. Smith plays out 2010, the final year of his contract and we decide on the Qb situation in 2011, If Alex plays well he's back as the starter if not he moves on and we look for another Qb,(possibly Nate Davis) in 2011. It really is working out nicely.

Smith still being a question mark going into his 6th season isn't perfect at all.

4th season if you take out the 2 years he missed because of injury.

I think, 3rd season or 3rd and half season cuz he was bench and missed of injury

Me thinks you doesn't own a calender and your math is just as mangled as your english but much love fellow niner fan.

well, i am tell you the true is... i am a deaf and i use American Sign Language so my writing comes out a little mangled.
It really is working out perfectly. Smith plays out 2010, the final year of his contract and we decide on the Qb situation in 2011, If Alex plays well he's back as the starter if not he moves on and we look for another Qb,(possibly Nate Davis) in 2011. It really is working out nicely.

Smith still being a question mark going into his 6th season isn't perfect at all.

I think, 3rd season or 3rd and half season cuz he was bench and missed of injury

Me thinks you doesn't own a calender and your math is just as mangled as your english but much love fellow niner fan.

well, i am tell you the true is... i am a deaf and i use American Sign Language so my writing comes out a little mangled.

It;'s all good man. Next year will still be year 6 for Alex. He doesn't get any do-overs lol. Happy Holidays to ya.

Go Niners!!

It;'s all good man. Next year will still be year 6 for Alex. He doesn't get any do-overs lol. Happy Holidays to ya.

Go Niners!!

next year will still be 6 years for Alex? did he play for 5 years? come on silly.. he was bench and missed it cuz injured are total for 2 years.. Watch me, Alex will be make playoff and better much a leader team next year 2010! Go 49ers!!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Dec 24, 2009 at 5:04 PM ]

next year will still be 6 years for Alex? did he play for 5 years? come on silly.. he was bench and missed it cuz injured for 2 years.. Watch me, Alex will be make playoff and better much a leader team next year 2010! Go 49ers!!

YOU SAID IT MAN!
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

next year will still be 6 years for Alex? did he play for 5 years? come on silly.. he was bench and missed it cuz injured for 2 years.. Watch me, Alex will be make playoff and better much a leader team next year 2010! Go 49ers!!

YOU SAID IT MAN!

pssst! what did he say?
The only way we will make the playoffs is if we win our division. Our division is garbage. And once we do make the playoffs, Alex will blow it like he always does against good defenses. Do you guys truly think Alex can beat a playoff team? My dream would be to see Alex succeed, but he just doesnt have it.
Ill save you the trouble, heres Alex Smiths final evaluation, He's GOOD against SH!TTY teams, and not so GOOD against mediocre teams, against REALLY GOOD teams, he just SUCKS!
Originally posted by DaNiners:
Unless he sucks (which he won't since we are playing two college teams) AS will be our QB next year. Davis may get some mop up duty, but that's it. Also, we will not draft a QB in the first-round unless again, Smith is simply horrible. Really, quite simple.

No, if he were horrible that would make it easy. He's like Jim Everett or Rex Grossman. He plays just well enough to give people hope that he will get it together. Then, when push comes to shove, he falls on his face.

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's Alex for the next 2 games. And Alex for 2010 as well most likely. There are no rookie QB's who are going to step in and be better. The available FA class is very likey weak. Nate Davis is nowhere near being ready to lead an NFL team. And Shaun Hill has proven arm strength limitations.

So it's Alex for 2 and 2010 for the season also.

Alex has played only 8 full games. If you project out what he has now to 16 games here is what you have (1,898 yards, 16 TD's).

2010 Projection.

3,796 yards.

32 TD's.

There are lots of problems on this team. But Alex can play. And it's the best he has ever played by far and he is more ready than anybody else we will have on the roster for 2010.

U forgot the project the interceptions.... If this is by far his best. Lets bench him.

Dont b suprised we lose our last 2 games.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

YOU SAID IT MAN!

pssst! what did he say?

Joe won a SB after his first full season and third season overall with 24 starts. Alex has 38 starts. The year before Joe took over the Niners went 6-10. His first full season they went 16-3 including post season wins. The '81 starting lineup had 9 rookies and 1st year players.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Joe won a SB after his first full season and third season overall with 24 starts. Alex has 38 starts. The year before Joe took over the Niners went 6-10. His first full season they went 16-3 including post season wins. The '81 starting lineup had 9 rookies and 1st year players.

They had a Hall of Fame coach who had had two previous seasons to implement the most innovative and productive offensive system of a generation. Also, he was brilliant in acquiring players and basically built a great defense that year through the draft (Lott, Wright, Williamson) and free-agency (Reynolds, Dean.) Walsh also wrote the book on how to nurture and develop a young QB with his handling of Montana the two seasons prior to winning that first Super Bowl.

Even that team experienced bumps after their initial success; in 82 the Niners went 3-6 in the strike-shortened season.

I'm not arguing that Smith will ever be anything like Montana; there are only a handful who have ever played that can be compared. But I will argue that to compare Montana and that 81 team that had Walsh as the head coach and chief decision-maker regarding player personnel to what Smith has experienced during his tenure with the Niners is a bit of a stretch.
[ Edited by BHulman on Dec 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

They had a Hall of Fame coach who had had two previous seasons to implement the most innovative and productive offensive system of a generation. Also, he was brilliant in acquiring players and basically built a great defense that year through the draft (Lott, Wright, Williamson) and free-agency (Reynolds, Dean.) Even this group of players had bumps after their initial success; in 82 the Niners went 3-6 in the strike-shortened season.

I'm not arguing that Smith will ever be anything like Montana; there are only a handful who have ever played that can be compared. But I will argue that to compare Montana and that 81 team that had Walsh as the head coach and chief decision-maker regarding player personnel to what Smith has experienced during his tenure with the Niners is a bit of a stretch.

I am not saying Alex should be compared to Montana but some in here treat him like he is Joe's equal or close to it. Why is it that no one say anything negative about Alex when he hasn't done anything?
Share 49ersWebzone