LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Evaluating Alex Smith the next two games....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's Alex for the next 2 games. And Alex for 2010 as well most likely. There are no rookie QB's who are going to step in and be better. The available FA class is very likey weak. Nate Davis is nowhere near being ready to lead an NFL team. And Shaun Hill has proven arm strength limitations.

So it's Alex for 2 and 2010 for the season also.

Alex has played only 8 full games. If you project out what he has now to 16 games here is what you have (1,898 yards, 16 TD's).

2010 Projection.

3,796 yards.

32 TD's.

There are lots of problems on this team. But Alex can play. And it's the best he has ever played by far and he is more ready than anybody else we will have on the roster for 2010.

He's played in 8.5 games. You can't say 8 full games but then count the 3 TDs @ Houston...

30 TDs and 23 INT; 3573 yards. Yes it does make a difference.

In any case, it's better but still not up to standard. Gotta limit the INTs and bonehead throws.

Also, his rating is 78.5...far from being good enough on a team that passes as much as we do.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Dec 23, 2009 at 3:39 PM ]
Who really gives a rat's a$#s what Smith does against the Lions and the Rams--is it going to give everyone this warm and fuzzy feeling like you get when you sing Kumbayah?? NO!! Give Nate Davis a few reps in the last 2 games and see what he can do. Sooner or later he's going to replace Smith as our starter--October 2010 or sooner mark my words
Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
Who really gives a rat's a$#s what Smith does against the Lions and the Rams--is it going to give everyone this warm and fuzzy feeling like you get when you sing Kumbayah?? NO!! Give Nate Davis a few reps in the last 2 games and see what he can do. Sooner or later he's going to replace Smith as our starter--October 2010 or sooner mark my words

--When asked if there was any plan to playing rookie quarterback Nate Davis in the final two games, Singletary answered, "No."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/wallace-will-finally-suit-up-for-a-game.html

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/12/23/49ers-to-activate-cody-wallace-this-week-nate-davis-must-wait-till-next-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+(49ers+Hot+Read)
QB Nate Davis: Out.

The fifth-rounder from Ball State will officially remain on the pine for his entire rookie season. The 49ers’ priority remains with developing their other young quarterback.

“It would be different if Alex Smith was a proven veteran player and had everything under control,” Singletary said, referring to his 25-year-old starter.”I want Alex to get all the playing time he can get. I want to see every drop of everything that he has. … I want him to learn every lesson that he can possibly learn.”

This was the plan from the start. The 49ers wanted to give Davis at least a year to study behind the scenes.

Smith, meanwhile, is grateful for the chance to get every snap. He has just 41 games on his resume.

“No question, yes, I want to be out there,” Smith said.”It’s definitely what I want to hear.”
[ Edited by valrod33 on Dec 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM ]
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
Smith has been in the league for how many years? He hasn't proven anything yet and he won't. Watching him for two more games won't make any difference. He could loose the last two games and he will still be here. The handwriting is on the wall and has been for a while. The Niners will piss away another season with him. Hope not, but don't see anything great coming from this quarterback. Playing Hill for the last two games would give us wins for sure, but still won't give us a starting QB for next season. Sorry to say, but we are stuck with Smith. If that miracle happens and he does great, wonderful. If he is our starter next season, I will cheer for him, but am not very hopeful of the results. If next year is a repeat of how he is doing now, then we start all over the next season. When will it stop?
Originally posted by Steve:
Smith has been in the league for how many years? He hasn't proven anything yet and he won't. Watching him for two more games won't make any difference. He could loose the last two games and he will still be here. The handwriting is on the wall and has been for a while. The Niners will piss away another season with him. Hope not, but don't see anything great coming from this quarterback. Playing Hill for the last two games would give us wins for sure, but still won't give us a starting QB for next season. Sorry to say, but we are stuck with Smith. If that miracle happens and he does great, wonderful. If he is our starter next season, I will cheer for him, but am not very hopeful of the results. If next year is a repeat of how he is doing now, then we start all over the next season. When will it stop?

when you don't mortgage half of a decade on a System QB from a small school. The Niners deserve this. You blow a 1.1 pick on the wrong QB and you will lose 5+ years. In short, it will stop when when our GM does not make elementary school mistakes.
Originally posted by danimal:
I wonder what the excuses will be if Alex has a bad game and we lose to one of these teams. How about both

Well we all know what you want for xmas.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for PatrickWillisHOF.
It's Alex for the next 2 games. And Alex for 2010 as well most likely. There are no rookie QB's who are going to step in and be better. The available FA class is very likey weak. Nate Davis is nowhere near being ready to lead an NFL team. And Shaun Hill has proven arm strength limitations.

Alex has played only 8 full games. If you project out what he has now to 16 games here is what you have (1,898 yards, 16 TD's).

2010 Projection.

3,796 yards.

32 TD's.

There are lots of problems on this team. But Alex can play. And it's the best he has ever played by far and he is more ready than anybody else we will have on the roster for 2010.

All of these stats dont mean Fecal Matter. Alex is 3-5. Who cares about how many touchdown passes he has. He is 3-5. And how do you know Davis isn't ready. If I recall, this is the team that started Dilfer over Hill because everybody jumped to the conclusion that because Hill was a 3rd stringer, he couldnt play. The Rams and Lions are not good teams to play when evaluating your own players.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

2010 Projection.

3,796 yards.

32 TD's.

All of these stats dont mean Fecal Matter. Alex is 3-5. Who cares about how many touchdown passes he has. He is 3-5. And how do you know Davis isn't ready. If I recall, this is the team that started Dilfer over Hill because everybody jumped to the conclusion that because Hill was a 3rd stringer, he couldnt play. The Rams and Lions are not good teams to play when evaluating your own players.

Correction THE TEAM is 3-5 with Smith as the starter. He only plays 1 position. Also he can not control that the defense allow teams to gain first downs on 3rd down at will.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

2010 Projection.

3,796 yards.

32 TD's.

I hear man. Also, the 49ers are 3-7 since Crabtree signed. Who cares how many yards/catches/TDs he has, he is 3-5. I say we cut him and bring in Zeigler.
Dear "Patrick":

According to Singeltary, the purpose of playing Alex the next two games is not to evaluate him, but rather to build on his game experience. He did not play for two years, then spent the beginning of the year on the bench. He needs reps in game environments.

I know a fellow who is learning to fly a helicopter. I asked him the other day how it was going. He told me that after 100 hours of flying solo, he finds himelf relying less on his instruments and more on his instincts. It is becoming more second nature to him, which is important with a helicopter because so many adjustments and reactions have to occur simulateously.

Alex is in the process of learning a new offense, experiencing his receivers' habits and reactions, and learning how his OL is functioning. He is still doing alot of thinking. He needs the reps so that what he does is more instinctual.

Sing wants 2010 to be a more succeesful year. Giving Alex game experience is part of ensuring that 2010 is more successful.

Originally posted by excelsior:
Dear "Patrick":

According to Singeltary, the purpose of playing Alex the next two games is not to evaluate him, but rather to build on his game experience. He did not play for two years, then spent the beginning of the year on the bench. He needs reps in game environments.

I know a fellow who is learning to fly a helicopter. I asked him the other day how it was going. He told me that after 100 hours of flying solo, he finds himelf relying less on his instruments and more on his instincts. It is becoming more second nature to him, which is important with a helicopter because so many adjustments and reactions have to occur simulateously.

Alex is in the process of learning a new offense, experiencing his receivers' habits and reactions, and learning how his OL is functioning. He is still doing alot of thinking. He needs the reps so that what he does is more instinctual.

Sing wants 2010 to be a more succeesful year. Giving Alex game experience is part of ensuring that 2010 is more successful.

get that logic out of here. It is not allowed here in NT

The more he plays the more we know, these next games are basically preseason, and don't mean crap to any one not even the players, I expect to see a lot of half assed phoned in performances! As for Alex I hope he doesn't do so well as to prevent this team from drafting, and signing a couple of NFL caliber QBs, we sure could use a real QB...Hill sucks ass too!

We have two 1st round picks and a ass load of cap room, if Scotty M does not get us a real QB, I call dibs on kicking his ass!
Originally posted by excelsior:
Dear "Patrick":

BUT HE IZ BUSTORZ....!....?

TOO...MUCH....LOGIK....

DOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
The more he plays the more we know, these next games are basically preseason, and don't mean crap to any one not even the players, I expect to see a lot of half assed phoned in performances! As for Alex I hope he doesn't do so well as to prevent this team from drafting, and signing a couple of NFL caliber QBs, we sure could use a real QB...Hill sucks ass too!

We have two 1st round picks and a ass load of cap room, if Scotty M does not get us a real QB, I call dibs on kicking his ass!

can you explain the logic behind this because it boggles my mind. It seems as though you are hoping Smith fails just because you don't want him as the starter. If Smith continues to improve and goes into an offseason taking all snaps as the starter in the same offense with continuity, he could prove to be the guy we drafted him to be.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

can you explain the logic behind this because it boggles my mind. It seems as though you are hoping Smith fails just because you don't want him as the starter. If Smith continues to improve and goes into an offseason taking all snaps as the starter in the same offense with continuity, he could prove to be the guy we drafted him to be.

Yep, I think we have seen enough of Alex, he looks to me to be a great Back-up QB! now that we have settled that lets go get ourselves a REAL starting QB!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone