There are 239 users in the forums

Barrows: 49ers offense too easy to read

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Whatever, '10 playoffs or bust for all of them.

how many chances are these clowns gonna get ...

One chance thus far. How many do you think they should get?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
doesnt surprise me at all one bit. only reason i'll keep raye is for the sake of continuity and thats it. our offense is so got damn predictable

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
doesnt surprise me at all one bit. only reason i'll keep raye is for the sake of continuity and thats it. our offense is so got damn predictable

That's more on Smith than Raye. Smith's inability to play under center is what makes the team so predictable. Smith has improved but the facts are the coaching staff doesn't trust him at all to play under center. It's the coach and the qb which isn't good b/c they gonna do the same exact things next season.

WTF are you talking about? Smith has a 86 rating under center. We dont put him under center because of the offensive LINE.

Is he more effective out of the shot gun? Absolutely. Most spread QBs are. But to say he's just "cant play" under center is ignorant sorry.
I even know what we're going to do when we line up at scrimmage.
when you have fans sitting on their couches calling the play before the team even breaks the huddle then yes they are an easy team to read. All you have to do is take away VD and stack the line to stop Gore and poof you just stopped our offense.
last game they mixed it up a bit

instead of just calling VD run straight they did a VD run straight then turn around

I was excited
Originally posted by RonMexico:
last game they mixed it up a bit

instead of just calling VD run straight they did a VD run straight then turn around

I was excited

That VD up the middle play was great while it lasted but now defenses are all over it.
Well no freaking kidding. Every time i see the offense line up i can call the play that's coming. But of course this calls for continuity. Let's have another season of predictable 28th ranked offense.
Great! And we want "continuity in the offense" so that we can have the same results next year! Get rid of Raye, promote Johnson.
Originally posted by cubanb:
Great! And we want "continuity in the offense" so that we can have the same results next year! Get rid of Raye, promote Johnson.

the game is about execution. Vince Lambardi only ran something like 12 plays. It takes continuity to develop a chemistry to where no matter what the defense does you can execute any given play. Changing OC every year is only keep the team where they are now or take them backwards.
Originally posted by backontop:

the game is about execution. Vince Lambardi only ran something like 12 plays. It takes continuity to develop a chemistry to where no matter what the defense does you can execute any given play. Changing OC every year is only keep the team where they are now or take them backwards.
Yea, but keeping a crappy to mediocre OC for the sake of continuity will get you nowhere. Comparing Raye to Lombardi is funny tho!

Raye is a dinosaur who refuses to adjust his gameplan until the media yells at him after the game. He doesn't even make reasonable adjusts, but goes the extreme route of all runs or all passes and refuses to recognize balance.

No doubt about it, the team's offense isn't scaring anybody. Raye's is a simple plan to begin with but compounded with it being year #1 and having key players that were NOT starters in camp (one that wasn't even in camp), there probably isn't much more that they feel comfortable installing.

That being said, we've seen some legitimate progress in terms of productivity of the passing game. Should they add some real run blockers up front, real balance can finally be achieved. Raye definitely deserves another year of laying the foundation of success and then perhaps someone inside our outside of the organization can take over and develop it further.

It's what I'd hoped would happen with Norv. Who the hell would've thought that he'd get another HC job?
Originally posted by backontop:

Yea, but keeping a crappy to mediocre OC for the sake of continuity will get you nowhere. Comparing Raye to Lombardi is funny tho!

Raye is a dinosaur who refuses to adjust his gameplan until the media yells at him after the game. He doesn't even make reasonable adjusts, but goes the extreme route of all runs or all passes and refuses to recognize balance.

where did I compare Raye to Lombardi? I simply stated that Lombardi only ran something like 12 plays. How has Raye refused to adjust his gameplan? The team has gone from a so called smash mouth football team to a spread offense and is now trying to get a more balanced offense. What type of offense that will be is one of the main issues going into the offseason. The fact that the offense has no identity is a huge problem. Changing OC again is a bigger problem.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
One thing in particular that I noticed about Raye's scheme is that one 3rd and long, the defense usually brings an extra defender from the edge and the WR or TE from the side from which the defender is coming from becomes the hot read and simply runs a 3 yard route and so the conversion fails.

I've seen this happen again and again. It's very frustrating to watch.

-9fA

EXACTLY!!! DING DING DING!!! I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Why ask the WR to run a 3 yard route??? So confusing. Shouldn't the call be to the WRs that they adjust their route to get the 1st down? Totally confused.

Its Alex Smith's inabilities more so. Take a look at the last 2 games (Arizona and Philly). I have NFL game rewind, so I watch the games repeatedly....

In the Arizona game, we came out swinging with Alex Smith throwing ALOT of intermediate passes and downfield, but Smith was actually struggling and off. Basically, Smith was off target in the first few series. After a few series, you can sense that the play calling changed to short routes where the QB would just dump it off to the RB or to the WR running 0-3 yard routes.

Also, like someone said already, when Smith is in Shotgun, almost 80-90% of the time, its going to be a pass play. When Smith is under center, its more likely to be a handoff to Gore.

When Brady OR Roethlisberger are in shotgun,80-90 % of the time it's a PASS also!
But that doesn't keep teams from stopping THEM right? Its got nothing to do with the teams knowing we are gonna pas outta the shotgun! If we get a fast cat quick person in the slot like Welker AND have a whole off season to work on this offense,(remember we changed offensive systems in the middle of the season) we will get it down much better next year,im sure of that. A full training camp and the chance to install motion and devise more runs out of the spread will work wonders..Give it time,7 OC's in 7 years is bad enough without considering doing again. Dont Panic folks!
Last week against the eagles was painful to watch. When VD went down the middle, he was actuallydrawing triple coverage - a linebacker underneath, a DB over the top, and a saefty breaking to his route. Incredibly, with 7 other defenders left on 9 other offensive player we couldn't exploit another match-up.

The blitz was also incredibly predictable, and yet we couldn't do a thing to counter it. whenever we lined up a bunch set of 3 receivers to one side, the blitz came from that side from a DB! That is completely amazing because typically that would mean the DB was vacating from the overloaded receiver side, leaving a great opportutnity to exploit. But instead, the Eagles realized that blitz could easily flush Smith away from his receivers. Once he was on the run away from the 3 receiver side he was simply , chased to the sideline with nowhere to throw the ball. In a sense, his escapability was used against him (realistically, our poor line play and scheme, combined with lack of route adjustment was the culprit). But our OC let it happen multiple times without adjusting or exploiting it.
The Niners would be 0-14 if other teams really knew what the Niners were going to do.
Share 49ersWebzone