There are 158 users in the forums

Big Play Peformance YTD

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are all well aware of the poor 3rd down conversion percentage by the Niner offense. Now comes some great big play stats from Mike Sando of ESPN on his NFC West blog. I will save you the calculations for the Niners.

Big plays are defined as >= 30 yards for a pass play and >= 20 yards for a running play

Niner Offense:
Passing: tied for 18th in NFL with 14 such plays
Rushin: tied for 9th in NFL with 12 such runs
Overall: 14th in NFL with 26 such plays

Niner Defense:
Passing: tied for 27th in NFL with 24 such plays allowed
Rushing: tied for 16th in NFL with 9 such plays allowed
Overall: 26th in NFL with 33 such plays allowed (the only worse teams are the dregs of the NFL)

Conclusions?

Allowing big pass plays defensively is killing the Niners. Solution? Better pass rush and/or better defensive team speed, especially at the safety position, is required. Offensively, the club seems to be coming along nicely in this regard.

Very interesting results. I knew that the Niner defense has had difficulty getting off the field, but the scope of the vulnerability to the big pass play surprised me.

Don't think that this statistic is significant? Undefeated Indy is #1 in Big Play Defense.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Dec 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM ]
Damn you beat me to it by a few minutes, but I had the link in my post
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Great minds think alike!
I'm curious, does it have an average of how many plays were averaged against the bottom dwelling teams? Not trying for excuses, I'm just wondering if our offense was giving the other offense more try's against us.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
I'm curious, does it have an average of how many plays were averaged against the bottom dwelling teams? Not trying for excuses, I'm just wondering if our offense was giving the other offense more try's against us.

Sando''s published data doesn't provide such detail.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

Great minds think alike!

lol Thanks man. Maybe the mods can merge it or something.

Cool thanks bro..... I don't know, maybe our D isn't is good as we thought....

Cool thanks bro..... I don't know, maybe our D isn't is good as we thought....

Our defense does need more speed. We need to replace Michael Lewis with someone who has more speed & better coverage area. We always seem to give up those big plays during a time in the game when it really hurts or team.

Great minds think alike!

lol Thanks man. Maybe the mods can merge it or something.

Yeah, mods probably will merge, posted in other thread. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for showing respect to each other. In NT, it's all too common to see people bashing one another for little things. This was refreshing to see.
I thought Brown had good speed but watching him play you can see he doesn't have fluid hips at all and his technique negates his speed. though I'm sure he can run fast straight ahead.

But at the same time the pass rush is just a joke at times. I'm still not sure McNabb was even hit last week.

I think Gore has been consistent when he can be. Had a couple monster games. Smith's had some excellent games too. Unfortunately, his best performance was a loss for us but whatever. VD has been a TD machine all year. One VD gets the little things down he will be unstoppable.

I think this offense will really be something special next year.

Smith - Gore - Crabtree - Davis.

Should be exciting IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone