LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 352 users in the forums

Do Our WR & TE Fight for the ball

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do Our WR & TE Fight for the ball

They do occasionally...but not nearly often enough. Watch Crabtree next year, though...he's got exceptionally strong hands and once he goes through an entire off-season, he should be a real beast. Morgan needs to learn from him. Vernon, with his strength, should be able to secure the ball much better than he has. He's had a good overall season, but it could've been an absolute monster of a season had he fought for the ball better. Too often the QB takes the blame for incompletions...but on our team, I lost track of how many drops our receivers have had. They've got to learn to fight for the ball...when they do, not only with their numbers go up, so will Alex's and the offense will be all the better for it.
Wow Fellas, If you go back to the beginning of the thread, it did say, REGARDLESS OF WHO'S THROWING TO OUR WR'S AND TE'S.

I dont want this to become a Smith thread because regardless of what anyone says, and if you disagree with me then your not a true niner fan.

Over our great years, we had the two boys, and maybe three, montana, young, and garcia. TO. and Jerry played with both. They all have similar styles in common, but also different. I bring up the two stars because i dont remember them dropping too many balls. I remember them splitting defenders, and jumping high, or diving low. One handed catches, behind the back.

Maybe some of you dont remember that game winning playoff drive, where Steve threw a strike to T.O. The backer was coming and knocked TO off his socks, and he held onto that damn ball.

We havent had a fighting receiver for some time. Even Eric J was off the hook, and when he led us in receiving a while back, he made all types of catches on badly thrown balls.

I always use his comment, but no one replies to the GOAT's comments. A while back he said what makes a good receiver great, and he said. When the ball comes near you regardless if perfect or not you catch the ball. He didnt say if it's too high, behind, too low. Of course in his life time there were quite a few, but the difference is he caught them to make his QB look good.

Ours dont do that. Even back to training camp i remember when HIll and smith were goin at it. With both QB's in they dropped passes.

Overall, it's not all on the QB, and not all on the Receivers. The two go hand in hand, and if the ball is thrown to a spot then it should be caught. The GREAT receivers make this happen. So thats why i go back to the title. No I dont think they fight for the ball, and some concentrate on now, but it's been a while since i've seen someone stand firm, know the ball is coming, but catch it and take a hit.

When our WR's can do this, then we know we are onto something special. Thats why i think the Brandon Marshall rumors may be true, because can you imagine the WR core learning to be agressive by someone who will sell their soul to catch a pass.
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Wow Fellas, If you go back to the beginning of the thread, it did say, REGARDLESS OF WHO'S THROWING TO OUR WR'S AND TE'S.

I dont want this to become a Smith thread because regardless of what anyone says, and if you disagree with me then your not a true niner fan.

Over our great years, we had the two boys, and maybe three, montana, young, and garcia. TO. and Jerry played with both. They all have similar styles in common, but also different. I bring up the two stars because i dont remember them dropping too many balls. I remember them splitting defenders, and jumping high, or diving low. One handed catches, behind the back.

Maybe some of you dont remember that game winning playoff drive, where Steve threw a strike to T.O. The backer was coming and knocked TO off his socks, and he held onto that damn ball.

We havent had a fighting receiver for some time. Even Eric J was off the hook, and when he led us in receiving a while back, he made all types of catches on badly thrown balls.

I always use his comment, but no one replies to the GOAT's comments. A while back he said what makes a good receiver great, and he said. When the ball comes near you regardless if perfect or not you catch the ball. He didnt say if it's too high, behind, too low. Of course in his life time there were quite a few, but the difference is he caught them to make his QB look good.

Ours dont do that. Even back to training camp i remember when HIll and smith were goin at it. With both QB's in they dropped passes.

Overall, it's not all on the QB, and not all on the Receivers. The two go hand in hand, and if the ball is thrown to a spot then it should be caught. The GREAT receivers make this happen. So thats why i go back to the title. No I dont think they fight for the ball, and some concentrate on now, but it's been a while since i've seen someone stand firm, know the ball is coming, but catch it and take a hit.

When our WR's can do this, then we know we are onto something special. Thats why i think the Brandon Marshall rumors may be true, because can you imagine the WR core learning to be agressive by someone who will sell their soul to catch a pass.

About your TO comment, maybe you dont remember that he had a ton of drops prior to that catch. He wept like a baby after because he couldnt believe he held on to it. Plus, I dont think our WRs will learn too much from Marshall except how to act like a little kid when you dont get your way. He has behaved better only because his team can win.
As for Crabs, he ducked a ball that could have won us the game, oh well. His upside is what draws me. Everytime he catches the ball he can make you miss, kinda of like J Taylor. Man I miss that guy.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
You're the only one

of course I am. It's all love for the sake of football. But you do see that 85% agree wit me so far.

But just like a lot of haters on certain individuals, u must only see what u want to see;)

morgan did last year and he was the first in about 5 years.

This year he seems to have forgotten how!!!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by susweel:
No, they are pussies who are afraid to get hit.

All the speed in the world don't mean s**t if you have no heart. Tell VD to watch some old footage of Brent Jones that dude was fearless.

Yeah, I remember it that brent jones was so great a football and dude was fearless. I already saw it.. he was very good.. Vd should must a fearless when he should be learning from him how fearless to play a football!

yes please
Nice thread , but no our WR and TE do not even come close to fighting for the ball . VD showed that in the last game against the eagles . But I do believe this will change , or I hope it will....
[ Edited by xx49erfanxx on Dec 23, 2009 at 2:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone