Do Our WR & TE Fight for the ball

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do Our WR & TE Fight for the ball

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by backontop:
Sounds like excuses for Smith's inability to throw accurately. Now it's our TE's and WR's who don't attack the ball. Amazing.

there isn't a single QB in the history of the game that can throw accurately 100% of the time. That is why great receivers make great plays by adjusting to the ball. Even receivers for the Saints, Patriots and Colts have to adjust to the ball. And why is that? because the ball is off target

Have you ever heard the term "throwing a wide receiver open"?

actually no I haven't because I speak english. If you are attempting to say throw to a receiver that is open then yes I have. Davis was open, the ball was where it needed to be. Davis just didn't adjust to make the catch. The elite receivers in the league have to adjust to passes all the time. If Davis wants to be an elite TE then he needs to start adjusting to the ball and actually making an effort to catch the ball.

Speaking english has nothing to do with the term. You hear many analyst and broadcasters say it all the time (i.e. Brian Billick, Jon Gruden). It means your QB throws the ball in an area where a covered receiver can break on it to free himself from coverage. Smith is not able to do that. His timing and accuracy are not up to par.

wow thanks for bringing up timing. Timing takes a lot longer than 8 games to develop between a WR and a QB. This is why Peyton Manning and his WR's work on time all year around!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Sounds like excuses for Smith's inability to throw accurately. Now it's our TE's and WR's who don't attack the ball. Amazing.

Well you see, Alex is a great QB, IF he has an all pro o-line, future Hall of fame Wide outs, a great Pro-bowl tight end, a running back that can block, rush for 100 yards and receive for anther 1000, oh and toss in a beast of a fullback who can pick up every blitz, and act as a safety valve to check down. Oh and did I mention this all has to happen from the shotgun, in an offense designed around him!

I mean come on Alex fan boys you aren't asking for much are you!

Exactly camper. I posted that yesterday. No Qb ever has the perfect setting to succeed. They just do and in turn they make everyone else better.

QB has got to make lemonade from lemons all day and twice on Sunday!

Well you see, Alex is a great QB, IF he has an all pro o-line, future Hall of fame Wide outs, a great Pro-bowl tight end, a running back that can block, rush for 100 yards and receive for anther 1000, oh and toss in a beast of a fullback who can pick up every blitz, and act as a safety valve to check down. Oh and did I mention this all has to happen from the shotgun, in an offense designed around him!

Exactly camper. I posted that yesterday. No Qb ever has the perfect setting to succeed. They just do and in turn they make everyone else better.

so you are saying that QB's never throw a ball that a receiver has to make a play on? Look at the Carolina vs Minn game. Moore was throwing passes that were off target all game and yet his receivers made plays on the ball.

Some people have no clue wtf they are talking about.

there isn't a single QB in the history of the game that can throw accurately 100% of the time. That is why great receivers make great plays by adjusting to the ball. Even receivers for the Saints, Patriots and Colts have to adjust to the ball. And why is that? because the ball is off target

actually no I haven't because I speak english. If you are attempting to say throw to a receiver that is open then yes I have. Davis was open, the ball was where it needed to be. Davis just didn't adjust to make the catch. The elite receivers in the league have to adjust to passes all the time. If Davis wants to be an elite TE then he needs to start adjusting to the ball and actually making an effort to catch the ball.

Speaking english has nothing to do with the term. You hear many analyst and broadcasters say it all the time (i.e. Brian Billick, Jon Gruden). It means your QB throws the ball in an area where a covered receiver can break on it to free himself from coverage. Smith is not able to do that. His timing and accuracy are not up to par.

wow thanks for bringing up timing. Timing takes a lot longer than 8 games to develop between a WR and a QB. This is why Peyton Manning and his WR's work on time all year around!

In the meanwhile we will ask our TE's and WR's to attack the ball no matter where it is thrown.

so you are saying that QB's never throw a ball that a receiver has to make a play on? Look at the Carolina vs Minn game. Moore was throwing passes that were off target all game and yet his receivers made plays on the ball.

Don't be so hard on yourself son, your just a dog on the wrong scent!

Look what we are saying is no team is ever perfect, nothing goes as planned, from the art of war the quote reads "no plan survives contact with the enemy"

Alex seems to lack flexibility, but his fans sure can stretch things, hell boy to listen to some of you guys carry on you would think that the sun rises out of Alex's ass!

Bottom line Alex is very average and we wasted a first round pick on a good back-up QB! Thats all now you try saying it out loud a few times and let it sink in...... there don't you feel better?

In the meanwhile we will ask our TE's and WR's to attack the ball no matter where it is thrown.

well that is their job. to go up and attack the ball. I guess until we get receivers that can go up and actually catch the ball we will have to settle for 10 plus dropped passes per game.

So what will work better being on target or hoping the WR's can make a play on the ball? Just heave it in their direction and hopefully they come down with it or hitting them in stride or right when they break into their route?

So what will work better being on target or hoping the WR's can make a play on the ball? Just heave it in their direction and hopefully they come down with it or hitting them in stride or right when they break into their route?

wow talk about missing the point. No QB in the history of the game is on target 100% of the time. The great Joe Montana and Steve Young threw passes that were off. And you know what happened? the receivers made a play on the ball.

This is true but many QB's, usually on the most successful teams, consistently have pretty close to a perfect setting to succeed.

What you'll often find on teams that are less than successful are situations where the QB does not have anywhere near an idea situation. No matter who the QB is the passing game is ineffective. Alex has been in a much worse setting than the majority of NFL QBs, all of the successful ones, and he's actually be quite good in spite of this on many occasions.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Dec 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM ]

wow talk about missing the point. No QB in the history of the game is on target 100% of the time. The great Joe Montana and Steve Young threw passes that were off. And you know what happened? the receivers made a play on the ball.

Smith is far from that discussion. Leave it at that.

WTF are both of you talking about? Do you bother to read anything any one writes? Including the Matts?

No one is saying Smith needs an all-pro cast. Forget Smith for that matter. In order for our OFFENSE----or OUR TEAM rather, to succeed is to have SOME level of continuity and idenitity which is something that we havent had since 2002. How is establishing continuity, chemistry between a QB and his receivers, and establishing an offensive idenity with the same coordinator FOR ONCE...asking for
Quote:
Well you see, Alex is a great QB, IF he has an all pro o-line, future Hall of fame Wide outs, a great Pro-bowl tight end, a running back that can block, rush for 100 yards and receive for anther 1000, oh and toss in a beast of a fullback who can pick up every blitz, and act as a safety valve to check down. Oh and did I mention this all has to happen from the shotgun, in an offense designed around him

?????????????????????????

Our offense is better out of the shot gun because of the OFFENSIVE LINE geniuses. That means our o-line is so bad they cant protect the QB long enough when he's under center. That applies to Hill AND Smith AND whoever else we have. Do you get it? And please at least do research before you say Smith HAS TO be in the shot gun to succeed...he has 63% completion %, 11 TDs, 6 INTS, and a 86 RATING under center. Not spectacular but not shabby considering the line can't protect.

Look what we are saying is no team is ever perfect, nothing goes as planned, from the art of war the quote reads "no plan survives contact with the enemy"

Alex seems to lack flexibility, but his fans sure can stretch things, hell boy to listen to some of you guys carry on you would think that the sun rises out of Alex's ass!

Bottom line Alex is very average and we wasted a first round pick on a good back-up QB! Thats all now you try saying it out loud a few times and let it sink in...... there don't you feel better?

Whats a matter back on top?

oh sorry I changed the settings on my computer to ignore ignorant post. Don't worry I changed them back and can see your post loud and clear.

Alex lacks flexibility??? How does he lack flexibility? In 2006 he ran pretty much exclusively from under center. Now he is mainly running from the shotgun. So hmm seems pretty flexible to me. the fact that the coaches are trying to play towards his strengths is just smart football. You should back away from your computer and learn about football before you continue to post.
I think we all know the answer...NO!

oh sorry I changed the settings on my computer to ignore ignorant post. Don't worry I changed them back and can see your post loud and clear.

Alex lacks flexibility??? How does he lack flexibility? In 2006 he ran pretty much exclusively from under center. Now he is mainly running from the shotgun. So hmm seems pretty flexible to me. the fact that the coaches are trying to play towards his strengths is just smart football. You should back away from your computer and learn about football before you continue to post.

Good I see we are on the verge of a breakthrough, you said it you may not have meant it but verbalization is important at this point!

Yes Alex lacks Flexibility, he does not adjust well to the blitz. Alex has many good points and I will acknowledge that. He does have a few weakneses let me list my thoughts.
1) Poor footwork in his drop back
2) inability to turn his back on Defense, hurts his play action
3) Does not read blitz well
4) to much arm on short passes
5) does not use his eyes to hold coverage well

The list was longer, but I will admit Alex has shown improvement, I just don't know if he will be worth waiting for.

All the excuses I hear people make for Alex would not cut it with any coach I have ever worked with, and I doubt the Alex would use any of them, you don't get as far has Alex has by hiding behind excuses!
Share 49ersWebzone