LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Singletary apologizes to Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
How many quarterbacks in the history of this league have shown as LITTLE as Alex Smith has in the first five years of their career and still ended up becoming legit quarterbacks?

I can only name one: Rich Gannon. Ok...maybe Kerry Collins.
He's a lot better than he used to be. It was not his best overall game. Chances are that next year we won't have a better option on the roster than Smith. So I think he is it for 2010.
this game was on alex f that , the int before halftime in which all he had to do is toss the ball to frank which was 5-7 yards away from him which created 3 more points for phi to make it 20-3 and the other int to samuels because he keeps staring at VD like a great looking spanish female and not looking at other options like jason hill who ran past samuels wide open , BUT we had momentum when we stopped them on that 4th down in the 1st qtr but Delaney fumbled that to me is when we lost control of the game
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I can't wait until 2011 when we've finally realized what has been 100% apparent from Day 1.... that Alex Smith is not the answer

So you are rooting for the Niners to flop in 2010?

Go be a fan of the Raiders, the Niners don't need your type.

Alex has to be the biggest bust in the history of the NFL. At least Akili Smith and Ryan Leaf busted early allowing the team to move on. I don't get it. It's year five now and we're 3-5 under Alex and people are still crossing their fingers praying he pans out.

49er management grow a set balls and move on. Yeah Cincy busted on Akili Smith but they went back to the well and drafted Palmer. San Diego busted on Leaf and they went back to the well and drafted Brees and then Rivers. It happens you miss on QB's. That doesn't mean you spend the next decade praying that he pans out.
How many quarterbacks in the history of this league have shown as LITTLE as Alex Smith has in the first five years of their career and still ended up becoming legit quarterbacks?

By "5 years," you mean 41 games played in, right? That equates to 2.5625 seasons. Smith will hit 3 years of game experience after game 5 next season (assuming he starts in '10)

It is a loaded question as phrased, but some other late bloomers are Vinnie Testaverde and Drew Brees.

both those guys made it to the super bowl
Originally posted by valrod33:

So are you saying Alex Smith will take us to the Superbowl?

-9fA

Plunkett, Aikman, Bradshaw (sucked is first 6 years actually), Young (his first 5 years consisted of USFL and Bucs, and 49ers as back up), Tony Romo (not 5 years but still a nobody)....few others as well.

If the NFL teaches you anything its don't count someone out.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Plunkett, Aikman, Bradshaw (sucked is first 6 years actually), Young (his first 5 years consisted of USFL and Bucs, and 49ers as back up), Tony Romo (not 5 years but still a nobody)....few others as well.

Plus - AGAIN - we are talking about 41 career starts. Just over 2.5 years, NOT 5.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by valrod33:

So are you saying Alex Smith will take us to the Superbowl?

-9fA

Yes

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Plus - AGAIN - we are talking about 41 career starts. Just over 2.5 years, NOT 5.

You know i love when you punch some of these fans in the mouth with facts. Sometimes its honestly just funny to sit back and see what other issues they gon come up with next.

The other day u say that Smith was i think 90% from behind center. Then someone wrote he wasnt against the eagles. But they still avoided the fact that besides this bad game he's still mostly accurate from under center.

Lolz.. damn your correct!! they dumb cuz who had to say 5 years? they didn't watch damn it.. they are damn joke! i am sick!!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:03 AM ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

You know i love when you punch some of these fans in the mouth with facts. Sometimes its honestly just funny to sit back and see what other issues they gon come up with next.

The other day u say that Smith was i think 90% from behind center. Then someone wrote he wasnt against the eagles. But they still avoided the fact that besides this bad game he's still mostly accurate from under center.

Its because most of these fair weather fans dont watch the game. They catch the ESPN highlights, listen to their buddies, then watch the Saints, Colts, and Patriots play and become irrational without looking at the full picture.

These are the same "fans" I run into every now and then..."dude our QB...whats his name? Shaun Rattay? Yeah dood he suczx. What happened to Alex Garcia?"

Me: "Uhhh that was 7 years ago....oh wait but..WTF????"
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Its because most of these fair weather fans dont watch the game. They catch the ESPN highlights, listen to their buddies, then watch the Saints, Colts, and Patriots play and become irrational without looking at the full picture.

These are the same "fans" I run into every now and then..."dude our QB...whats his name? Shaun Rattay? Yeah dood he suczx. What happened to Alex Garcia?"

Me: "Uhhh that was 7 years ago....oh wait but..WTF????"

. . . and I don't bring up 41 starts as an EXCUSE, because Smith DOES need to play better. Rather, I bring it up as a FACT and to provide some perspective. Smith is a 25 year old with 2.5 years of games under his belt. With some continuity, I require him to have MASSIVE learning curve acceleration at this point to be satisfied.
This is like my second reply on the webzone because i see some of you are in alex and wonderland. I maybe just maybe GOD has ordained me to get you out! If you think alex smith will get any better than he is you need to come to this hospital down in tuscaloosa name brice hospital. I believe they are know to help the insane! ps this is my second reply I cannot wait to post. I love you guys, I almost got tears of joy! I've been a fan of you guys for about two years! Now I am in the webzone! Weee oooo!
Share 49ersWebzone