LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Hear me out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
And your point is? If you're saying it's all on Smith you are correct. He does not see the whole field, he doesn't recognize blitz packages, he stares down his receivers, and he is very inaccurate with his short and long throws. He's OK on his intermediate throws. We have been seeing the same things now off and on since 2006. Smith is not developing any consistency in his play other than the aforementioned. We need a change at QB--is that too difficult for niner fans to see? Why not give Davis a chance and see what he can do in garbage time.

My point is that if you have been watching football for as long as you claim, you should understand this already. 60% completion rate is not inaccurate...how do you know about how well he sees the field, have you ever taken a snap in a game and had to read the defense? If not, you are far from qualified to make judgments about anyone's field vision. I am sorry if you don't like Smith, I want more consistent play from him myself, but starting over every year is exactly why we are where we are right now. I hope you can handle it when he is the starter next year because it is looking like that is what is ahead.

Smith is 27th in the league on YPC and 32nd in the league on 1st down percentage. We're a dink and dunk offense and that inflates his completion percentage. Sadly it only inflates to a mere 60%. Geez it took Smith 47 attempts just to finally get to 300 yards in a game.
Originally posted by English:
Sorry, but it's all been said before in other threads.

Nate Davis is not the answer, yet.

And you think that Smith has been given all the tools? Let's just think about this:

has he been given a line? No!

Has he been given a running back who can catch? Yes.

Has he been given quality receivers? Not until Crabtree signed, no. And no practice with him.

Has he been given an outlet guy like a receiving fb or a receiving tight end? Not until this season, no.

Was he given practice time to develop a rapport with the center and his receivers? No.

Think about it.

Has he been given Bill Walsh
Has he been given three offensive future HOFers
Has he been given the formation he is most comfortable in
Cmon at what point do we realize that no matter how many luxuries we throw at ALEX, he will still have the same problem, He is not and never will be an NFL caliber QB, CFL or NFL EUROPE at best. Just face it, we shouldve drafted Rodgers, but oh no we probably wouldve ruined his career too. For some reason, we just havent been able to develop any QBs since the departure of The Late Great Coach MOOCH. I think the best thing for Smiths career is to leave the 9ERS, We are just not a QB friendly outfit.
Originally posted by prime21:

And you think that Smith has been given all the tools? Let's just think about this:

Has he been given quality receivers? Not until Crabtree signed, no. And no practice with him.

Has he been given an outlet guy like a receiving fb or a receiving tight end? Not until this season, no.

Was he given practice time to develop a rapport with the center and his receivers? No.

Think about it.

Cmon at what point do we realize that no matter how many luxuries we throw at ALEX, he will still have the same problem, He is not and never will be an NFL caliber QB, CFL or NFL EUROPE at best. Just face it, we shouldve drafted Rodgers, but oh no we probably wouldve ruined his career too. For some reason, we just havent been able to develop any QBs since the departure of The Late Great Coach MOOCH. I think the best thing for Smiths career is to leave the 9ERS, We are just not a QB friendly outfit.

Mooch never developed a QB, Garcia came ready to play from the CFL championship team.The last guy we had as a head coach that knew how to develop a young QB was Walsh himself. Your posts in this thread all reek of disappointment in not getting Rodgers, if you are so in love with him, I am sure Green Bay has room for another fan. You need to get over your man crush and learn to deal with the hand you have been dealt and quit whining like it makes a difference. We aren't getting Rodgers, Smith will likely be the starter next year, and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Think about it.

Mooch never developed a QB, Garcia came ready to play from the CFL championship team.The last guy we had as a head coach that knew how to develop a young QB was Walsh himself. Your posts in this thread all reek of disappointment in not getting Rodgers, if you are so in love with him, I am sure Green Bay has room for another fan. You need to get over your man crush and learn to deal with the hand you have been dealt and quit whining like it makes a difference. We aren't getting Rodgers, Smith will likely be the starter next year, and there is nothing you can do to change that.

That is the first time I ever said anything good about Rodgers, and for the record, Green Bay is among my top 5 most hated NFL teams, so go suck a LEMON, oh yeah youre already sucking on one (ALEX SMITH)
An area that is severely hampering Alex's performance is the WR's lack of awareness. We have Davis, who really seems stunted in this area of the game. Morgan is green by most standards, and Crabtree is a rookie who did not even have a training camp.

This is the big leagues. Virtually every player on the field are exceptional talents, and many are hardened veterans. So when you match up our green receivers with many of these DBs, we will come up short. When a play breaks down, when the QB needs to be helped out, it is so valuable to have receivers whose awareness realizes the problem and who know where to go to give his QB a target. We lack that. You often see it when Alex seems to not be finding an open man. He buys time, waiting, waiting, waiting, then throws it out of bounds. His critics condemn him, but how often is it because his receivers have gine up or are frozen in indecision, not knowing what to do next?
Originally posted by Mister49:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
As much as I like Alex Smith and want to see him succeed, I want it for the team even more. That said, Alex deserves one more year and thats it. He has to come out the gate on fire. No, he didn't play great or save us from losing any games, but he played well enough to deserve one more shot. I'm fed up like everyone else, so if Alex can't get it done next year, then he has to go...........

WHAT HE SAID! ^

Right, Alex is it for next season. So forget about him, and worry about other glaring offensive needs right now. Why? No other quarterback in sight worth bringing. Build up our line, upgrade a receiver or two, get another running back, fullback I like the kid Brit Miller, add to what we got. If Alex still plays like Steve Deberg, than at least we will be ready for our next Joe Montana.
Hear me out :
this team could limp into the playoffs in 2010 with a good draft and FA signings but it will never be because of A Smith or J Raye
We will NOT reach our full potential as long as those two are n°1 at their respective position
[ Edited by 49Fever on Dec 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM ]
It is sad but it is true, AS will start at QB next year. Another losing season again. I just want to see Nate Davis play these last two games to see what we got. Even when playing with scrubs during the preseason, Nate Davis looks like he has it. His poise, pocket awareness, throws, all that stuff, you could see something special. He seems to have the IT factor.
no
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ianna:
It is sad but it is true, AS will start at QB next year. Another losing season again. I just want to see Nate Davis play these last two games to see what we got. Even when playing with scrubs during the preseason, Nate Davis looks like he has it. His poise, pocket awareness, throws, all that stuff, you could see something special. He seems to have the IT factor.

I agree with u, hope we can see Nate before the end of the season.

Think about it.

That is the first time I ever said anything good about Rodgers, and for the record, Green Bay is among my top 5 most hated NFL teams, so go suck a LEMON, oh yeah youre already sucking on one (ALEX SMITH)

That sucking sound you hear is the vacuum between your ears.

Think about it.

That sucking sound you hear is the vacuum between your ears.

I love Alex Smith threads...

Share 49ersWebzone