LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Hear me out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
.. Mmk.

Because Hanson blitzed and Smith had to roll out and throw away, that makes him like the Smith of 2005? You've lost me, bro.

If we had proper protection, Smith would be able to step up like QB's SHOULD be able to do. But he doesn't have that. You saw what happened to Warner and also Favre on Sunday night went he couldn't step up. He had to throw flat-footed and got spanked by the lowly Panthers.

I guess some fans expect Alex to leap into the air and do a front flip over the defenders on every pass play, otherwise "HEEZ GOTS NO POCKIT PREZENTS MAN."

If the OL provides no throwing lanes or doesn't protect the passer (also RB's should block too -- Gore whiffed big-time on at least one), if receivers can't get open or drop passes when they do, the QB's appearance of success diminishes. It's a simple concept that virtually all QB's struggle when faced with constant pressure.

What have we seen? When Alex either has time, or can at least step up, or in the times he's been able to escape and get more time for himself, he has made plays.

What else have we seen? The majority of bad plays being the result of either miscommunication or just unfortunate bounces off tips rather than bad decision-making.

Alex has shown me plenty to believe he is well on his way to a bright future in the league after what he's been able to accomplish after two years missed due to a horrific shoulder injury.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
Originally posted by ianna:
I know there are so many Alex Smith threads already and I should probably just post this to one of those threads but I felt like this is more of my opinion in regards to NFL and QB in general.

One thing that is obvious to me is that a team with a great QBs are winning - Eagles, Colts, Pats, and SD to name a few. If we have a decent or say above average QB, say someone like Gannon or Bulger, this 09 Niners can be a 10-6 or 11-5 team. I am not AS hater. I want him to succeed like most of you. I'm a Niner fan. His success is Niners success.

In AS defense, he has different OC every year and had to learn new systems. He got injured, and was thrown under the bus by his former coach. In his rookie year, Niners roster or talent level are arguably one of the worst in the history of NFL. His OL are mediocres at best. He doesn't have a true number 1 receiver, and he only had two full seasons as he was injured on the other two seasons, etc...... Because of the situation he was put in, I still rooted for him and wanted him to do well.

The Eagles game is when I totally said it's over. I've seen enough. As long as he is the QB, the team is not going anywhere. Forget it. Every time I see him play, all I see is the AS of 2005. I see a QB who can't read the defense - how many times did Hanson
blitzed coming from the left side? I see a guy who is not accurate, throwing the ball to high that the receiver either have to jump or dive to catch the ball. I see a guy that doesn't learn from his mistakes - throwing to double or triple coverage, throws too high on screen plays. He still stares at his receiver. He doesn't have any swagger nor fight by looking at his demeanor or actions on the field.

I am not blaming all the loss on him. He did not fumble the ball in the red zone against Seahawks. He did not drop a TD pass in the endzone, etc... but he is not helping the team to win a game. He is a backup QB at best who can come and win a couple of games, or manage a game or two if needed. I don't think he played well against the Cards on the MNF matchup. If you give Brady or Manning 5 turn overs, it will probably result in a blowout. We scored 24 points out of 5 TO? I gave him credit as he made some nice throws and get us first down to keep the drive moving and run out the clock but do understand that every QB can have a game like that once in a while. In his career he has 4 comebacks which is good but 4 comebacks in your 5 year career is not good enough reason to convince me that he should start next season. Give Nate Davis a chance to compete. It pisses me so much everytime I think about all those games that we had a chance to win and he choked - Texans, Titans, Seattle to name a few. He just doesn't have it. Nate Davis or trade for Hasselbeck for the 2010 season.

Aaron Rodgers I believe was sacked more times than him and Shaun Hill but look at Rodger's numbers? This 09 Niners are the best supporting cast that AS can have and there is no excuse on his bad performances. Either you have what it takes or you don't.

OMG!! Somebody on this fool webzone finally has it right. After watching the Philly game there are people out there who say stuff like Alex Smith still has a free pass and he's going to take us back to the playoffs? PLAYOFFS!! He's our guy still for 2010? WTF?? We're going nowhere with Alex Smith!!
Let's for a moment review some things that happened in Philly. Niners fighting for a playoff spot, in cold weather, against a division leading team, away on the east coast--what a perfect scenario for Smith to show us what he's got. The O line playing good enough to get Gore 107 yds against a team that didn't have a 100 yd rusher in 23 games--don't tell me the O line sucked against Philly!! Yea they brought pressure and blitzed but Smith had time to throw. He threw into coverage twice (fooled by the trap2) and just plain overthrew Gore on the last one--3 IN T in the first half and 2 last week against the cards, another playoff caliber team. I DON'T CARE WHAT SMITH DOES AGAINST THE BOTTOM DWELLING LIONS OR RAMS!! He had his chance and screwed up--It's time to let Mike Johnson start grooming Davis and get him some reps in practice and in the last 2 games. McNabbs endorsement of Davis is encouraging and maybe they'll spend some time together in the offseason.

People it is time to give up on the Alex Smith experiment--I don't care what Singletary says. I really hope he pulls his head out of hi a$S and lets Mike Johnson do what he gets paid to do. Nate Davis is the man--just give him some damn reps before the season is over.

Your handle suits you perfectly...bravo! You very obviously showed that you know jack about football. Nate Davis has shown absolutely nothing to warrant him being anything other than the project that he is, even less than Smith. If you do not know the difference between run blocking and pass blocking, well...that speaks volumes itself. This site is getting flooded with ignorance, we lose a game we are not supposed to win and the emotions get high and ignorance flows like blood from a severed carotid. Ever stop to think that the reason why we struggled every year for the past six is because we have had no continuity? You cannot build a team by changing it every year, what about that do you not understand? This isn't Madden, this is real football.

You're right this is real football with real pissed off long time forty niner fans. What is there to lose by giving Nate Davis some time in practice and maybe some time in the last two games that don't mean squat?? You guys are acting like we're going to destroy poor Nate Davis' fragile rookie demeanor. With his quick delivery he'll have less of a chance of getting hurt than Smith. As for run blocking versus pass blocking, look at the tape pal--Smith had plenty of time to throw the ball--putting Smith's INT on the O line is perfectly ridiculous. Just face the sad facts--Smith is not taking us to the promised land and the sooner we digest that the sooner we can move on and get a decent QB on the field.

I never said the picks were anyone's fault other than Smith's. I don't have to look at the tape, the only thing I mentioned about the line is that they did better at run blocking than pass blocking. Your last statement is far from fact, it is your opinion, and while you are entitled to it pal 'o mine, it doesn't mean you are right in the very least.

OK Memphis9er IMHO, Smith is not the future of the 49er franchise. As a 49er fan the past 45 years I've seen this team go thru a lot of tough times. I am very passionate about this team as any other die hard fan is but I really do believe it is time to get outside the box on our future QB situation. I'm not at all excited about the prospect of another season with Alex Smith as our QB--we can do better and we will do better. Does that prospect get you pumped up for 2010?? Imagine where we can go with the pieces we have in place and a good QB that can carry this team on their shoulders if they have to. Another year of Alex Smith will be very agonizing.
I know there are so many Alex Smith threads already and I should probably just post this to one of those threads but I felt like this is more of my opinion in regards to NFL and QB in general.

One thing that is obvious to me is that a team with a great QBs are winning - Eagles, Colts, Pats, and SD to name a few. If we have a decent or say above average QB, say someone like Gannon or Bulger, this 09 Niners can be a 10-6 or 11-5 team. I am not AS hater. I want him to succeed like most of you. I'm a Niner fan. His success is Niners success.

In AS defense, he has different OC every year and had to learn new systems. He got injured, and was thrown under the bus by his former coach. In his rookie year, Niners roster or talent level are arguably one of the worst in the history of NFL. His OL are mediocres at best. He doesn't have a true number 1 receiver, and he only had two full seasons as he was injured on the other two seasons, etc...... Because of the situation he was put in, I still rooted for him and wanted him to do well.

The Eagles game is when I totally said it's over. I've seen enough. As long as he is the QB, the team is not going anywhere. Forget it. Every time I see him play, all I see is the AS of 2005. I see a QB who can't read the defense - how many times did Hanson
blitzed coming from the left side? I see a guy who is not accurate, throwing the ball to high that the receiver either have to jump or dive to catch the ball. I see a guy that doesn't learn from his mistakes - throwing to double or triple coverage, throws too high on screen plays. He still stares at his receiver. He doesn't have any swagger nor fight by looking at his demeanor or actions on the field.

I am not blaming all the loss on him. He did not fumble the ball in the red zone against Seahawks. He did not drop a TD pass in the endzone, etc... but he is not helping the team to win a game. He is a backup QB at best who can come and win a couple of games, or manage a game or two if needed. I don't think he played well against the Cards on the MNF matchup. If you give Brady or Manning 5 turn overs, it will probably result in a blowout. We scored 24 points out of 5 TO? I gave him credit as he made some nice throws and get us first down to keep the drive moving and run out the clock but do understand that every QB can have a game like that once in a while. In his career he has 4 comebacks which is good but 4 comebacks in your 5 year career is not good enough reason to convince me that he should start next season. Give Nate Davis a chance to compete. It pisses me so much everytime I think about all those games that we had a chance to win and he choked - Texans, Titans, Seattle to name a few. He just doesn't have it. Nate Davis or trade for Hasselbeck for the 2010 season.

Aaron Rodgers I believe was sacked more times than him and Shaun Hill but look at Rodger's numbers? This 09 Niners are the best supporting cast that AS can have and there is no excuse on his bad performances. Either you have what it takes or you don't.

OMG!! Somebody on this fool webzone finally has it right. After watching the Philly game there are people out there who say stuff like Alex Smith still has a free pass and he's going to take us back to the playoffs? PLAYOFFS!! He's our guy still for 2010? WTF?? We're going nowhere with Alex Smith!!
Let's for a moment review some things that happened in Philly. Niners fighting for a playoff spot, in cold weather, against a division leading team, away on the east coast--what a perfect scenario for Smith to show us what he's got. The O line playing good enough to get Gore 107 yds against a team that didn't have a 100 yd rusher in 23 games--don't tell me the O line sucked against Philly!! Yea they brought pressure and blitzed but Smith had time to throw. He threw into coverage twice (fooled by the trap2) and just plain overthrew Gore on the last one--3 IN T in the first half and 2 last week against the cards, another playoff caliber team. I DON'T CARE WHAT SMITH DOES AGAINST THE BOTTOM DWELLING LIONS OR RAMS!! He had his chance and screwed up--It's time to let Mike Johnson start grooming Davis and get him some reps in practice and in the last 2 games. McNabbs endorsement of Davis is encouraging and maybe they'll spend some time together in the offseason.

People it is time to give up on the Alex Smith experiment--I don't care what Singletary says. I really hope he pulls his head out of hi a$S and lets Mike Johnson do what he gets paid to do. Nate Davis is the man--just give him some damn reps before the season is over.

Your handle suits you perfectly...bravo! You very obviously showed that you know jack about football. Nate Davis has shown absolutely nothing to warrant him being anything other than the project that he is, even less than Smith. If you do not know the difference between run blocking and pass blocking, well...that speaks volumes itself. This site is getting flooded with ignorance, we lose a game we are not supposed to win and the emotions get high and ignorance flows like blood from a severed carotid. Ever stop to think that the reason why we struggled every year for the past six is because we have had no continuity? You cannot build a team by changing it every year, what about that do you not understand? This isn't Madden, this is real football.

You're right this is real football with real pissed off long time forty niner fans. What is there to lose by giving Nate Davis some time in practice and maybe some time in the last two games that don't mean squat?? You guys are acting like we're going to destroy poor Nate Davis' fragile rookie demeanor. With his quick delivery he'll have less of a chance of getting hurt than Smith. As for run blocking versus pass blocking, look at the tape pal--Smith had plenty of time to throw the ball--putting Smith's INT on the O line is perfectly ridiculous. Just face the sad facts--Smith is not taking us to the promised land and the sooner we digest that the sooner we can move on and get a decent QB on the field.

I never said the picks were anyone's fault other than Smith's. I don't have to look at the tape, the only thing I mentioned about the line is that they did better at run blocking than pass blocking. Your last statement is far from fact, it is your opinion, and while you are entitled to it pal 'o mine, it doesn't mean you are right in the very least.

OK Memphis9er IMHO, Smith is not the future of the 49er franchise. As a 49er fan the past 45 years I've seen this team go thru a lot of tough times. I am very passionate about this team as any other die hard fan is but I really do believe it is time to get outside the box on our future QB situation. I'm not at all excited about the prospect of another season with Alex Smith as our QB--we can do better and we will do better. Does that prospect get you pumped up for 2010?? Imagine where we can go with the pieces we have in place and a good QB that can carry this team on their shoulders if they have to. Another year of Alex Smith will be very agonizing.

Fair enough bro, I see your side of the argument. I think next year is the make or break year, but that is just my opinion on the subject. If next year is bad, we can always draft the Washington QB, he is by far a better looking QB than any I see in this next draft. We might not need to though...time will tell.

Fair enough bro, I see your side of the argument. I think next year is the make or break year, but that is just my opinion on the subject. If next year is bad, we can always draft the Washington QB, he is by far a better looking QB than any I see in this next draft. We might not need to though...time will tell.

I'm with ya on that except I'm getting old and grumpy and running out of time--oh well.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by English:
Sorry, but it's all been said before in other threads.

Nate Davis is not the answer, yet. agreed

And you think that Smith has been given all the tools? Let's just think about this:

has he been given a line? No! Line not as bad as GB, compare Rodgers sacks ARE YOU KIDDING ME! That's just bs. Rodgers line isn't nearly as bad as ours take last year sack total and this years and combine them were worse! he takes sacks a lot because he's to busy looking down field to make a 50 yard throw im not sure he even knows how to check down.

Has he been given a running back who can catch? Yes. AgreedAgreed

Has he been given quality receivers? Not until Crabtree signed, no. And no practice with him. Good QBs make WRs look better, but I will grant you this point Wr's make Qb's look good. Unless your p manning then you make everyone look good.

Has he been given an outlet guy like a receiving fb or a receiving tight end? Not until this season, no. We drafted VD just for him and Gore and Battle are good "check down" guys. It took vd half a decade to figure out he wasn't just fast and a good blocker. Battle sucks at life in general. Gore can only do so much we need a guy who can stretch the field that isn't playing tight end.Norris can block that's it!

Was he given practice time to develop a rapport with the center and his receivers? No.He was given a chance his rookie year he received all the snaps as a starter And the only guy starting from that year is heitmann. and he's solid center with no talent around him other then joe.
Think about it.

I have thought about it and I find Alex average at best, and on a bad day pretty hard to watch. With time he looks like he will an okay NFL back-up and low level starter, if that is what you are looking for then you should be happy!
I have higher standards!

yea high standards like Nate Davis

DID I SAY WE SHOULD START DAVIS!!!!!!!

Read my post A-hole!

personal attack real mature.

I'm sorry bring back Hill because he was soooo much more productive.

lol he didnt say anything about hill either

And Nate Davis isn't the black second coming of either joe montana or jesus. So let the kid sit for 4 years and develop, unlike alex and then maybe think about letting him even be considered to get killed behind are oline.
YEah we have given him a few chances and he's screwed up. If you remember correctly we have had Gore, who the D gameplans around, and he did have a good line with Heitman, Larry Allen n co. He also had a decent TE.

THe WRs were crappy but look at the Pats WRs in their super bowl victories....its hard to even name them.

As stated by your post....GB has the most sack allowed but Rodgers is putting up numbers. Big Ben has been sacked a lot and still delivers.

WHY?

They can move around in the pocket and find open spots while looking downfield. Smith just tucks his tail and runs when he sees a defender. He isn't even looking downfield.

Mcnabb was almost sackd a few times and ran around and delivered. Smith is sorry guys. Its really time to stop supporting thim. He is better then Hill for sure. I was always avid of that. But this s**t is getting ridiculous. We can compete with good teams...The next step is a stud QB to beat the s**t out of them!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
YEah we have given him a few chances and he's screwed up. If you remember correctly we have had Gore, who the D gameplans around, and he did have a good line with Heitman, Larry Allen n co. He also had a decent TE.

THe WRs were crappy but look at the Pats WRs in their super bowl victories....its hard to even name them.

As stated by your post....GB has the most sack allowed but Rodgers is putting up numbers. Big Ben has been sacked a lot and still delivers.

WHY?

They can move around in the pocket and find open spots while looking downfield. Smith just tucks his tail and runs when he sees a defender. He isn't even looking downfield.

Mcnabb was almost sackd a few times and ran around and delivered. Smith is sorry guys. Its really time to stop supporting thim. He is better then Hill for sure. I was always avid of that. But this s**t is getting ridiculous. We can compete with good teams...The next step is a stud QB to beat the s**t out of them!

Doesn't look to be any in the draft this year...maybe when the Washington guy goes pro next year. As I said in another thread, all pro QB's do not grow on trees. We have at least one more year of Smith most likely. I hope he continues to improve and we won't need another QB until Davis is ready.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I disagree. He avoided several defenders, slipped to the right, motioned Crabs to go deep and threw a great pass to Crabs on Sunday. Crabs got the PI call.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Here!
Me out:

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by English:
Sorry, but it's all been said before in other threads.

Nate Davis is not the answer, yet. agreed

And you think that Smith has been given all the tools? Let's just think about this:

has he been given a line? No! Line not as bad as GB, compare Rodgers sacks

Has he been given a running back who can catch? Yes. Agreed

Has he been given quality receivers? Not until Crabtree signed, no. And no practice with him. Good QBs make WRs look better, but I will grant you this point

Has he been given an outlet guy like a receiving fb or a receiving tight end? Not until this season, no. We drafted VD just for him and Gore and Battle are good "check down" guys.

Was he given practice time to develop a rapport with the center and his receivers? No.He was given a chance his rookie year he received all the snaps as a starter

Think about it.

I have thought about it and I find Alex average at best, and on a bad day pretty hard to watch. With time he looks like he will an okay NFL back-up and low level starter, if that is what you are looking for then you should be happy!
I have higher standards!

yea high standards like Nate Davis

DID I SAY WE SHOULD START DAVIS!!!!!!!

Read my post A-hole!

personal attack real mature.

I'm sorry bring back Hill because he was soooo much more productive.

lol he didnt say anything about hill either

process of elimination. Current QB's on the team

Smith-check
Hill-check
Davis-check

would he rather have MRob or Battle throwing the ball. We can all with for Peyton Manning but guess what even he would suck with our OLine.

Seasons over, draft another QB?

Sign a VET? mmmm I guess that would never happen!

I hope we draft a decent NFL ready QB, but given Scotty's history I doubt it.

I would like to see a quality Vet signed, but given Scotty's history I doubt it.

So I can assume we are stuck with Smith for a while, but if it were up to me I would move Hill to 3rd string last month! Let Davis take the second team snaps and find out what I have.

We know what Smith is, an average QB who needs absolute perfection from all other players on the field with him and specialized play calling to hide his weakness!

So I would take a Cainfield, or Clausen in the draft, cut Hill in the offseason, hold my nose and start Smith next season, and my depth chart would be:

Smith, Davis, 1st round pick.

you're right what kind of NFL QB needs the OLine to protect him. What kind of NFL QB needs receivers to actually catch the ball. What was I thinking.

I agree with you... that is very exact.

Originally posted by kemp_j:
As much as I like Alex Smith and want to see him succeed, I want it for the team even more. That said, Alex deserves one more year and thats it. He has to come out the gate on fire. No, he didn't play great or save us from losing any games, but he played well enough to deserve one more shot. I'm fed up like everyone else, so if Alex can't get it done next year, then he has to go...........

WHAT HE SAID! ^
  • fly15
  • Veteran
As much as I like Alex Smith and want to see him succeed, I want it for the team even more. That said, Alex deserves one more year and thats it. He has to come out the gate on fire. No, he didn't play great or save us from losing any games, but he played well enough to deserve one more shot. I'm fed up like everyone else, so if Alex can't get it done next year, then he has to go...........

Such a great idea, lets just keep Brandon Jones as PR next year too even when he looks like a chicken w/out a head. I think he needs another chance in 2010, if not we'll just keep him again for 2011, this way he can keep developing along w Alex.
and if not, both get cut..... WAIT, lets just give Alex another year, till 2012 and if not, i dont know... maybe Nate can get a chance then.

The only QB in the whole draft I really liked was Locker and he went back to school
Originally posted by fly15:

Such a great idea, lets just keep Brandon Jones as PR next year too even when he looks like a chicken w/out a head. I think he needs another chance in 2010, if not we'll just keep him again for 2011, this way he can keep developing along w Alex.
and if not, both get cut..... WAIT, lets just give Alex another year, till 2012 and if not, i dont know... maybe Nate can get a chance then.

Your attempts at sarcasm are almost as lame as your serious posts.
My bad about my English RE: title. Sorry about that.

Well I heard a caller from Seattle with Damon Bruce that Hasselbeck might be on tbe trading block. If you are ok with AS as our QB, be ready for another losing season.

Even if Hasselback were signed, AS would still be the starter after Hasselback leaves the first game with a fractured pinky.
Share 49ersWebzone