LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Hear me out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
Originally posted by ianna:
I know there are so many Alex Smith threads already and I should probably just post this to one of those threads but I felt like this is more of my opinion in regards to NFL and QB in general.

One thing that is obvious to me is that a team with a great QBs are winning - Eagles, Colts, Pats, and SD to name a few. If we have a decent or say above average QB, say someone like Gannon or Bulger, this 09 Niners can be a 10-6 or 11-5 team. I am not AS hater. I want him to succeed like most of you. I'm a Niner fan. His success is Niners success.

In AS defense, he has different OC every year and had to learn new systems. He got injured, and was thrown under the bus by his former coach. In his rookie year, Niners roster or talent level are arguably one of the worst in the history of NFL. His OL are mediocres at best. He doesn't have a true number 1 receiver, and he only had two full seasons as he was injured on the other two seasons, etc...... Because of the situation he was put in, I still rooted for him and wanted him to do well.

The Eagles game is when I totally said it's over. I've seen enough. As long as he is the QB, the team is not going anywhere. Forget it. Every time I see him play, all I see is the AS of 2005. I see a QB who can't read the defense - how many times did Hanson
blitzed coming from the left side? I see a guy who is not accurate, throwing the ball to high that the receiver either have to jump or dive to catch the ball. I see a guy that doesn't learn from his mistakes - throwing to double or triple coverage, throws too high on screen plays. He still stares at his receiver. He doesn't have any swagger nor fight by looking at his demeanor or actions on the field.

I am not blaming all the loss on him. He did not fumble the ball in the red zone against Seahawks. He did not drop a TD pass in the endzone, etc... but he is not helping the team to win a game. He is a backup QB at best who can come and win a couple of games, or manage a game or two if needed. I don't think he played well against the Cards on the MNF matchup. If you give Brady or Manning 5 turn overs, it will probably result in a blowout. We scored 24 points out of 5 TO? I gave him credit as he made some nice throws and get us first down to keep the drive moving and run out the clock but do understand that every QB can have a game like that once in a while. In his career he has 4 comebacks which is good but 4 comebacks in your 5 year career is not good enough reason to convince me that he should start next season. Give Nate Davis a chance to compete. It pisses me so much everytime I think about all those games that we had a chance to win and he choked - Texans, Titans, Seattle to name a few. He just doesn't have it. Nate Davis or trade for Hasselbeck for the 2010 season.

Aaron Rodgers I believe was sacked more times than him and Shaun Hill but look at Rodger's numbers? This 09 Niners are the best supporting cast that AS can have and there is no excuse on his bad performances. Either you have what it takes or you don't.

OMG!! Somebody on this fool webzone finally has it right. After watching the Philly game there are people out there who say stuff like Alex Smith still has a free pass and he's going to take us back to the playoffs? PLAYOFFS!! He's our guy still for 2010? WTF?? We're going nowhere with Alex Smith!!
Let's for a moment review some things that happened in Philly. Niners fighting for a playoff spot, in cold weather, against a division leading team, away on the east coast--what a perfect scenario for Smith to show us what he's got. The O line playing good enough to get Gore 107 yds against a team that didn't have a 100 yd rusher in 23 games--don't tell me the O line sucked against Philly!! Yea they brought pressure and blitzed but Smith had time to throw. He threw into coverage twice (fooled by the trap2) and just plain overthrew Gore on the last one--3 IN T in the first half and 2 last week against the cards, another playoff caliber team. I DON'T CARE WHAT SMITH DOES AGAINST THE BOTTOM DWELLING LIONS OR RAMS!! He had his chance and screwed up--It's time to let Mike Johnson start grooming Davis and get him some reps in practice and in the last 2 games. McNabbs endorsement of Davis is encouraging and maybe they'll spend some time together in the offseason.

People it is time to give up on the Alex Smith experiment--I don't care what Singletary says. I really hope he pulls his head out of hi a$S and lets Mike Johnson do what he gets paid to do. Nate Davis is the man--just give him some damn reps before the season is over.

Remember when we played against, Farve or Manning, those guys ate up the blitz, and forced us to play them straight up! Smith will get blitzed and pressured until he learns to read the blitz and make teams pay! HE FAILED AT THIS IN PHILLY!

You blame the O-line when it gets beat by a 4 man rush, you blame the QB when you get beat by the blitz, why do you blame him?

The QB can change his protection with a call at the line, he can shift a RB or hold a TE, he can change line calls made by the center all to help him buy a second or two to get the ball to the hot read!, you know the WR whose route he has the ability to change! IT IS ALL ON HIM!
I know there are so many Alex Smith threads already and I should probably just post this to one of those threads but I felt like this is more of my opinion in regards to NFL and QB in general.

One thing that is obvious to me is that a team with a great QBs are winning - Eagles, Colts, Pats, and SD to name a few. If we have a decent or say above average QB, say someone like Gannon or Bulger, this 09 Niners can be a 10-6 or 11-5 team. I am not AS hater. I want him to succeed like most of you. I'm a Niner fan. His success is Niners success.

In AS defense, he has different OC every year and had to learn new systems. He got injured, and was thrown under the bus by his former coach. In his rookie year, Niners roster or talent level are arguably one of the worst in the history of NFL. His OL are mediocres at best. He doesn't have a true number 1 receiver, and he only had two full seasons as he was injured on the other two seasons, etc...... Because of the situation he was put in, I still rooted for him and wanted him to do well.

The Eagles game is when I totally said it's over. I've seen enough. As long as he is the QB, the team is not going anywhere. Forget it. Every time I see him play, all I see is the AS of 2005. I see a QB who can't read the defense - how many times did Hanson
blitzed coming from the left side? I see a guy who is not accurate, throwing the ball to high that the receiver either have to jump or dive to catch the ball. I see a guy that doesn't learn from his mistakes - throwing to double or triple coverage, throws too high on screen plays. He still stares at his receiver. He doesn't have any swagger nor fight by looking at his demeanor or actions on the field.

I am not blaming all the loss on him. He did not fumble the ball in the red zone against Seahawks. He did not drop a TD pass in the endzone, etc... but he is not helping the team to win a game. He is a backup QB at best who can come and win a couple of games, or manage a game or two if needed. I don't think he played well against the Cards on the MNF matchup. If you give Brady or Manning 5 turn overs, it will probably result in a blowout. We scored 24 points out of 5 TO? I gave him credit as he made some nice throws and get us first down to keep the drive moving and run out the clock but do understand that every QB can have a game like that once in a while. In his career he has 4 comebacks which is good but 4 comebacks in your 5 year career is not good enough reason to convince me that he should start next season. Give Nate Davis a chance to compete. It pisses me so much everytime I think about all those games that we had a chance to win and he choked - Texans, Titans, Seattle to name a few. He just doesn't have it. Nate Davis or trade for Hasselbeck for the 2010 season.

Aaron Rodgers I believe was sacked more times than him and Shaun Hill but look at Rodger's numbers? This 09 Niners are the best supporting cast that AS can have and there is no excuse on his bad performances. Either you have what it takes or you don't.

OMG!! Somebody on this fool webzone finally has it right. After watching the Philly game there are people out there who say stuff like Alex Smith still has a free pass and he's going to take us back to the playoffs? PLAYOFFS!! He's our guy still for 2010? WTF?? We're going nowhere with Alex Smith!!
Let's for a moment review some things that happened in Philly. Niners fighting for a playoff spot, in cold weather, against a division leading team, away on the east coast--what a perfect scenario for Smith to show us what he's got. The O line playing good enough to get Gore 107 yds against a team that didn't have a 100 yd rusher in 23 games--don't tell me the O line sucked against Philly!! Yea they brought pressure and blitzed but Smith had time to throw. He threw into coverage twice (fooled by the trap2) and just plain overthrew Gore on the last one--3 IN T in the first half and 2 last week against the cards, another playoff caliber team. I DON'T CARE WHAT SMITH DOES AGAINST THE BOTTOM DWELLING LIONS OR RAMS!! He had his chance and screwed up--It's time to let Mike Johnson start grooming Davis and get him some reps in practice and in the last 2 games. McNabbs endorsement of Davis is encouraging and maybe they'll spend some time together in the offseason.

People it is time to give up on the Alex Smith experiment--I don't care what Singletary says. I really hope he pulls his head out of hi a$S and lets Mike Johnson do what he gets paid to do. Nate Davis is the man--just give him some damn reps before the season is over.

Your handle suits you perfectly...bravo! You very obviously showed that you know jack about football. Nate Davis has shown absolutely nothing to warrant him being anything other than the project that he is, even less than Smith. If you do not know the difference between run blocking and pass blocking, well...that speaks volumes itself. This site is getting flooded with ignorance, we lose a game we are not supposed to win and the emotions get high and ignorance flows like blood from a severed carotid. Ever stop to think that the reason why we struggled every year for the past six is because we have had no continuity? You cannot build a team by changing it every year, what about that do you not understand? This isn't Madden, this is real football.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
good post Memphis
And your point is? If you're saying it's all on Smith you are correct. He does not see the whole field, he doesn't recognize blitz packages, he stares down his receivers, and he is very inaccurate with his short and long throws. He's OK on his intermediate throws. We have been seeing the same things now off and on since 2006. Smith is not developing any consistency in his play other than the aforementioned. We need a change at QB--is that too difficult for niner fans to see? Why not give Davis a chance and see what he can do in garbage time.
And your point is? If you're saying it's all on Smith you are correct. He does not see the whole field, he doesn't recognize blitz packages, he stares down his receivers, and he is very inaccurate with his short and long throws. He's OK on his intermediate throws. We have been seeing the same things now off and on since 2006. Smith is not developing any consistency in his play other than the aforementioned. We need a change at QB--is that too difficult for niner fans to see? Why not give Davis a chance and see what he can do in garbage time.

Wait till they say, but Alex.... the newest one is that you can't develop chemistry with your wide outs in only 8 games! You know like Ryan or Flaco last year, or Farve this year, that kind of timing trust and chemistry takes.... LOL

Alex's Fanboys are a riot!

what the f**k is so hard to understand, Nate Davis has not i repeat has NOT taken any reps this year as a QB for our system, he has been playing scout team playing WR ,CB and i think even played Vince Young as well. So yeah lets throw in a guy who has had no practice time whatsoever into an NFL game, yeah that will do him real good
[ Edited by valrod33 on Dec 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Your handle suits you perfectly...bravo! You very obviously showed that you know jack about football. Nate Davis has shown absolutely nothing to warrant him being anything other than the project that he is, even less than Smith. If you do not know the difference between run blocking and pass blocking, well...that speaks volumes itself. This site is getting flooded with ignorance, we lose a game we are not supposed to win and the emotions get high and ignorance flows like blood from a severed carotid. Ever stop to think that the reason why we struggled every year for the past six is because we have had no continuity? You cannot build a team by changing it every year, what about that do you not understand? This isn't Madden, this is real football.

What is this 'continuity' thing that you speak of?
Originally posted by valrod33:

what the f**k is so hard to understand, Nate Davis has not i repeat has NOT taken any reps this year as a QB for our system, he has benn playing scout team playing WR ,CB and i think even played Vince Young as well. So yeah lets throw in a guy who has had no practice time whatsoever into an NFL game, yeah that will do him real good

BUT DOOD I ALREHDEE MAYDE THYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by valrod33:

what the f**k is so hard to understand, Nate Davis has not i repeat has NOT taken any reps this year as a QB for our system, he has benn playing scout team playing WR ,CB and i think even played Vince Young as well. So yeah lets throw in a guy who has had no practice time whatsoever into an NFL game, yeah that will do him real good

BUT DOOD I ALREHDEE MAYDE THYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Wait till they say, but Alex.... the newest one is that you can't develop chemistry with your wide outs in only 8 games! You know like Ryan or Flaco last year, or Farve this year, that kind of timing trust and chemistry takes.... LOL

Alex's Fanboys are a riot!

1) You're comparing Smith to a 40 year old VET who's been in the league since Smith was 6 years old. I bet Favre would tell you he wouldnt be able to get on the same page with his WRs if he missed TC/OTAs when he was younger. Favre is a god damn 17-18 year VET. Smith's played what...36 games???? Genius comparison there. LOL.

2) So Flacco and Ryan didnt go through TC and OTAs this year or last year and take the majority of the 1st team reps to develop trust, timing, and chemistry with their players??? Wow, news to me.

My point is that if you have been watching football for as long as you claim, you should understand this already. 60% completion rate is not inaccurate...how do you know about how well he sees the field, have you ever taken a snap in a game and had to read the defense? If not, you are far from qualified to make judgments about anyone's field vision. I am sorry if you don't like Smith, I want more consistent play from him myself, but starting over every year is exactly why we are where we are right now. I hope you can handle it when he is the starter next year because it is looking like that is what is ahead.

You're right this is real football with real pissed off long time forty niner fans. What is there to lose by giving Nate Davis some time in practice and maybe some time in the last two games that don't mean squat?? You guys are acting like we're going to destroy poor Nate Davis' fragile rookie demeanor. With his quick delivery he'll have less of a chance of getting hurt than Smith. As for run blocking versus pass blocking, look at the tape pal--Smith had plenty of time to throw the ball--putting Smith's INT on the O line is perfectly ridiculous. Just face the sad facts--Smith is not taking us to the promised land and the sooner we digest that the sooner we can move on and get a decent QB on the field.
Remember when we played against, Farve or Manning, those guys ate up the blitz, and forced us to play them straight up! Smith will get blitzed and pressured until he learns to read the blitz and make teams pay! HE FAILED AT THIS IN PHILLY!

You blame the O-line when it gets beat by a 4 man rush, you blame the QB when you get beat by the blitz, why do you blame him?

The QB can change his protection with a call at the line, he can shift a RB or hold a TE, he can change line calls made by the center all to help him buy a second or two to get the ball to the hot read!, you know the WR whose route he has the ability to change! IT IS ALL ON HIM!

Against the blitz: 5 TDs, 3 Picks, - 82.4 rating. (Was above 95 rating before PHI game).

Against a 4+ man fronts: 63% comp, 9tds, 6ints, 84.3 rating (was higher than 90 prior to PHI game).

Did his #s drop? Yes. But to say he "JUZT KANT DOO IT DOOOD" is dumb.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Against the blitz: 5 TDs, 3 Picks, - 82.4 rating. (Was above 95 rating before PHI game).

Against a 4+ man fronts: 63% comp, 9tds, 6ints, 84.3 rating (was higher than 90 prior to PHI game).

Did his #s drop? Yes. But to say he "JUZT KANT DOO IT DOOOD" is dumb.

but but but we lost to a team we were supposed to lose to DOOOOODE!

You're right this is real football with real pissed off long time forty niner fans. What is there to lose by giving Nate Davis some time in practice and maybe some time in the last two games that don't mean squat?? You guys are acting like we're going to destroy poor Nate Davis' fragile rookie demeanor. With his quick delivery he'll have less of a chance of getting hurt than Smith. As for run blocking versus pass blocking, look at the tape pal--Smith had plenty of time to throw the ball--putting Smith's INT on the O line is perfectly ridiculous. Just face the sad facts--Smith is not taking us to the promised land and the sooner we digest that the sooner we can move on and get a decent QB on the field.

I never said the picks were anyone's fault other than Smith's. I don't have to look at the tape, the only thing I mentioned about the line is that they did better at run blocking than pass blocking. Your last statement is far from fact, it is your opinion, and while you are entitled to it pal 'o mine, it doesn't mean you are right in the very least.
Share 49ersWebzone