LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Offense / Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mods I don't know where this discussion should go, so If you could move it to where you want it I would appreciate it...Thanks..

First and foremost this season wasn't a complete loss. We had some up's and down all season long, just like every other team does. I think we grew up alittle as a team, we were for the most part in every game this year. When was the last time you could say that about the Niners?

What I'm worried about in the off season is we are going to try and address certain aspects on both side of the ball. Now wait,before you think I'm crazy. I think we need to address just one side of the ball and that's the offense. We need to bring in the best that Free Agency and the Draft have to offer. We need the best linemen, speedy WR/RB/KR that we can get our hands on. SCREW THE MONEY.

Look at the teams that are in the playoffs or are fighting to get in. (NFC) They all have top 15 offense's. We haven't had a top 15 offense in what 7 or 8 years. I really think that if we improve the offense to top 15 then are defense can pen it's ears back and attack the opposing offense. I will go out on a limb and say that our defense would improve 4 or 5 spots.

Well that's all I have. So what does everybody think? Good, Bad, Retarded, Genius, STFU Noob....
We don't need a top 15 offense. Granted those are the teams fighting it out right now. What we need is for the defense to step up when it counted. (even if the O put them in a bad situation... That is how the steelers did it last year, and other good teams..)

Yes the offense might have dropped the ball, but the defense (which was supposed to be our strength) let us down.

-Packers game, let ryan grant run wild all game, especially at the end when we needed the stop.

-Titans game, haralson let chris Johnson score, not to mention the D made Vince young look like tom brady all game.

-Vikings game.. Id like to pin that on the def, but I will pin that loss on Mark Roman.

-Eagles game, yes Smitty had a bad game, but we let f**king weaver get what seemed like 4.5 yards per carry.

-Falcons game, bad game planning, and the defense must have stayed home that day.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Mods I don't know where this discussion should go, so If you could move it to where you want it I would appreciate it...Thanks..

First and foremost this season wasn't a complete loss. We had some up's and down all season long, just like every other team does. I think we grew up alittle as a team, we were for the most part in every game this year. When was the last time you could say that about the Niners?

What I'm worried about in the off season is we are going to try and address certain aspects on both side of the ball. Now wait,before you think I'm crazy. I think we need to address just one side of the ball and that's the offense. We need to bring in the best that Free Agency and the Draft have to offer. We need the best linemen, speedy WR/RB/KR that we can get our hands on. SCREW THE MONEY.

Look at the teams that are in the playoffs or are fighting to get in. (NFC) They all have top 15 offense's. We haven't had a top 15 offense in what 7 or 8 years. I really think that if we improve the offense to top 15 then are defense can pen it's ears back and attack the opposing offense. I will go out on a limb and say that our defense would improve 4 or 5 spots.

Well that's all I have. So what does everybody think? Good, Bad, Retarded, Genius, STFU Noob....

Would we say STFU noob?!!!!

How about we fix the O line and help the defensive backfield and keep our eyes open for impact players on either side of the ball?

But the O line as first priority

I totally agree. The defense for the most part held there own. We got blew out once this year against the Falcons. If we had an offense that could put more points on the board we would have won a lot more games. We scored more than 30 points one time this year against the Rams....... We definitely can't ignore the OL or the fact that we need a true PR/KR guy. We need an offense that can sustain drives, score or at least give the defense a chance to rest........

I'm with you!!! Upgrade the offense or find a way to draft NDAMUKONG SUH!!!!!
We could have gotten that LG Incognito or what ever his name is. The one St. Louis let go. I watched him this past sunday on a new team wreaking havoc. That man has attitude, maybe a little too much but who cares the guy is a very good blocker. He could have brought a little bit of meaness to this team. I think what this team is missing is that certain attitude and we also need to have some swagger.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Dec 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM ]
Originally posted by insanemike27:
We could have gotten that LG Incognito or what ever his name is. The one St. Louis let go. I watched him this past sunday on a new team wreaking havoc. That man has attitude, maybe a little too much but who cares the guy is a very good blocker. He could have brought a little bit of meaness to this team. I think what this team is missing is that certain attitude and we also need to have some swagger.

Yeah i agree we should have pulled the trigger on that guy. He might not be able to keep his temper in cool but it's football and playing oline isn't for a p***y.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Yeah i agree we should have pulled the trigger on that guy. He might not be able to keep his temper in cool but it's football and playing oline isn't for a p***y.

We definetely need some players to bring a swagger to this team whether it is on offense/defense/special teams!
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
We don't need a top 15 offense. Granted those are the teams fighting it out right now. What we need is for the defense to step up when it counted. (even if the O put them in a bad situation... That is how the steelers did it last year, and other good teams..)

Yes the offense might have dropped the ball, but the defense (which was supposed to be our strength) let us down.

-Packers game, let ryan grant run wild all game, especially at the end when we needed the stop.

-Titans game, haralson let chris Johnson score, not to mention the D made Vince young look like tom brady all game.

-Vikings game.. Id like to pin that on the def, but I will pin that loss on Mark Roman.

-Eagles game, yes Smitty had a bad game, but we let f**king weaver get what seemed like 4.5 yards per carry.

-Falcons game, bad game planning, and the defense must have stayed home that day.

Ok, if we don't need a top 15 offense then we need to bring in everybody we can and get our defense the best in the league. I'm all for winning with our defense but that means we need to do nothing but address the defense this off season and bring in everybody that will get us that top flight defense. What I'm trying to say is I want the team to do nothing but address one side of the ball this year, make it (O OR D) the best in the league, then the next year start working on the other side of the ball. We are going to try and address both sides this year and all I think we are going to do is improve just alittle... I want to improve alot....

Maybe It won't work that way but it's not working the way we are doing it now.

Wait, I shouldn't say it ain't working....It's just taking to long....

Ok, if we don't need a top 15 offense then we need to bring in everybody we can and get our defense the best in the league. I'm all for winning with our defense but that means we need to do nothing but address the defense this off season and bring in everybody that will get us that top flight defense. What I'm trying to say is I want the team to do nothing but address one side of the ball this year, make it (O OR D) the best in the league, then the next year start working on the other side of the ball. We are going to try and address both sides this year and all I think we are going to do is improve just alittle... I want to improve alot....

I think they can make huge strides in fixing both. If we fix the Oline that makes everyone a lot better, and defenses can be fixed with lower round draft picks (imo) than offenses can be.

I think they can make huge strides in fixing both. If we fix the Oline that makes everyone a lot better, and defenses can be fixed with lower round draft picks (imo) than offenses can be.

Fixing the OLine would help, but we still need a speedster to stretch the field. Weather it be a RB or WR I don't care as long as somebody can get behind their D.

As for our D, I'm with you about the lower picks. What we need is a true passrusher and a ball hawk in the secondary.

stfp noob lol just jk

Yeah but Scotty wouldn't bring him in because he's not a nice guy who smells roses and goes to church every sunday. Scotty has an aversion(just like his mentor Nolan did) to players with attitude.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Well this is exactly what I wanted to do when we first started our rebuilding process when Nolan was 1st brought in. But I wanted to build defense 1st. My thinking was if you have a dominant group whether it be offense or defense you can win ball games in this league. Considering where we were, I feared spreading out the "talent" on both sides would make us mediocre until we got a great unit anyway. Thus taking longer to win. Well, this is where we are.

Not having a great unit forces both sides to play good consistently to win. As opposed to maybe that one unit carrying the team when the other unit doesn't show up. Our defense has done that on a few occasions but it' not good enough to rely on. All the stars need to align properly.

I know to win the Superbowl we need some sort of balance. To get over the hump we only need one great unit.

we're heading into our 6th offseason since we started this rebuilding mess. I hope this is the year we finally concentrate on putting atleast one great unit out there. If we didn't need a QB I think this would have been a good year to get the final offensive pieces. As it stands we could get a ways closer to it.

It would help if we could hit on some mid round guys every once in a while.

1a:Bradford/Claussen
1b:Bryant/Gilyard/Tate
2:Charles Brown/Jason Fox/Selvish Capers
3-7 BPA (offense or defense)

Bring in Free agent RB or late round/undrafted RB which are a dime a dozen.

The webzone greatly overrated our D and Manusky
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:17 PM ]
My optimism for 2010 is less than 09.

-We are still in desperate need of a consistent pass rush, which I guess we all knew was going to be a problem...
-Our Oline needs some help, although Raye's most recent playcalling seems to have helped them a little bit...
-We have one quality WR, as Davis and Morgan seem to constantly let us down. (however, Jones and Hill may be decent)
-Our corners seem to be a greater need (although this may be helped with pass rush)
-Goldson doesn't seem to be the answer at safety
-we have one decent RB
-this may be way off base, but I feel we have wayy too many guys we keep around for decent ST play.
-we need a PR
-Our QB is questionable
Share 49ersWebzone