LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

2 things..Activate Nate Davis for last two games, Release Shaun after season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Although I like Nate and would like to see him play in the final 2 games and even eventually become our future QB, I don't think it would be a good idea. I watched 49ers Sportsnet Central not too long ago and Eric Davis brought up a good point. Nate hasn't taken a snap even in practice as a 2nd stringer and coming into a regular season game this season would be overwhelming. The game's waaay too fast for him at this stage. If Nate doesn't play too well, 9er fans are going to be quick to jump the gun and give up on Nate as a future starter.
Hill's a decent b/u...why would you want to release him? If Davis really has the right stuff, he'll beat our Shaun for the #2 QB position during the off-season. Then we'd have three guys who know the system. If Alex doesn't lead the team to the playoffs in 2010, then Davis would be primed to replace him. In the meantime, you'd have Hill to come in if needed.
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A
You all like the mystery of Nate Davis and you ignore reality. If you threw him in a game he would blow, as would any 5th round draft choice rookie who has not taken practice snaps since training camp. Nate Davis will most likely never take the field as a 49er. Get it in your head.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by the_woad:
You all like the mystery of Nate Davis and you ignore reality. If you threw him in a game he would blow, as would any 5th round draft choice rookie who has not taken practice snaps since training camp. Nate Davis will most likely never take the field as a 49er. Get it in your head.

I wouldn't go so far to say that, I mean look at how many QB's we've had since 2003:

Tim Rattay - 7th round
Ken Dorsey - 7th round
Cody Pickett - 7th round
Chris Weinke - 4th round
Trent Dilfer - 1st round back in 1950's
Shaun Hill - Undrafted
Jeff Garcia - Undrafted
Originally posted by the_woad:
I heart Nate Davis.

Toad is right, Nate Davis is the best option we have.
[ Edited by GhostofJimmyDean on Dec 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM ]
Singletary has made it clear he didn't intend for Davis to play this season...he has two veteran QB's and Nate's time to shine is still TBD. Yes, he seems to have the size, arm, talent, etc., but is untested and hasn't been running the offense as a QB. Give him the off-season to work into it...I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before he moves up on the depth chart, but realistically, there's no reason to rush him along. Alex is under contract through next season...he has that to prove himself and get the team to the playoffs. If he can, great. If not, then Singletary can turn to Davis. I know it's hard for us fans to be patient...but that's likely what we'll have to be with the kid.
Wow! Rattey or Garcia! NT has officially hit a new low. That support guy we need for Gore, here's a thought, why don't we sign Keavan Barlow?

Anyway, if we don't sort the line it won't matter a damn who takes the snaps.
Chalk this up as one of the most painful experiences of my life.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

/thread
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Would you people stop with this "nate davis "crap really! This is alex smith's team.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
well the season is lost... we need to Activate Nate for the final two games...and deactivate some one else....I would say Shaun, but we might need a 3rd QB.

Alex is going to start these next two games.....but if Alex struggles or Alex does great and it's a blowout... we bring in Nate to get some reps....and to get a feel of what we have in him.

then after the season, we release Shaun Hill.... I'm a big Shaun fan as some know, but if the coaching staff "feel" that he can't take the team any further than what he did this year....then we are just wasting his and our time by keeping him on the team.... it also keeps around the same excuse of keeping Alex starting, if he is struggling "omgz no one else is better on our team"....so we get someone "better" than Shaun.....

I say we get Timmy Boy...yes that man named Tim Rattay......he scored TDs with "the worse offensive personal...ever" as some Alex fanboys like to say about the team Alex inherited...... and Rattay has a stronger arm than both Shaun and Alex.....and he did a good job spreading the ball around, calling audibles at the line, and used *gasp* pump fakes.

All I know is yes, there are not too many good QBs going to be available in the off-season... I would rather have Shaun than Pennington....and I would rather have Rattay over the likes of Batch, Matt Moore, etc.

so next year Alex, Rattay, Davis.

its hopeless, but hey I'm depressed right now....and having Rattay back on this team gives me something to look forward to next year......right now I have nothing really to look forward to next year with the 9ers....its the same o'l same o'l.

God almighty, make it stop!
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
Really, Tim Rattay! WOW! and cut Shaun Hill! You are crazy. Hill is a perfect backup because he can win games. Alex needs to be the starter or cut him. It will not hurt to see what he can do for us next season because he took a pay cut in the offseason to stay aboard, and Nate has not proven anything. He won a game in preseason...good job.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Share 49ersWebzone