LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Stepping Up In The Pocket ....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • CO9er
  • Info N/A
Bottom line is that our coaches must put our QB, and our O line in a position to succeed. Its no secret that the line is not very good, and hasn't been in some time. The offensive game plan should reflect that reallity. Case in point: we haven't had a pass rusher in a long time, dare I say Andre Carter. So we compensate using scheme, blitz, and giving everybody and their mother an opportunity to rush the passer. Well, why can't the offense do the same. Max protect more, shorter routes, designed role outs, etc.... You get the point. Too many times on Sunday, I watched the WRs run 12 yards or more down the field on third and 5,6, and 7. I'm just saying that there are ways to compensate for our short comings. The game plan needs to reflect what we are good at, not what we should be good at. It just seems to me that we are calling plays, and running them. Like its training camp or something. WHERE IS THE SCHEME???????
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Did anyone watch the Steelers and Packers later that night?

If so, then you probably saw the last play where the Steelers scored a TD with no time left on the clock. If you saw that, then you would notice that crashface Roethlisberger had around 5-7 seconds to find that receiver. When was the last time you saw that kind of blocking for a niner QB?

Yes but Ben moves around. He just doesn't stand behind center. He's the pump-fake MASTER of the NFL. He an Peyton Manning run the NFL Pump-Fake School for QBs.

Watch the play again. He didnt move like he normally does. He dropped back, looked right, slid left, and stood there staring down the WR he finally threw to. Had ALL day because of his line.

Yes on one play. I meant in my earlier post and should have been clearer - Ben generally moves around and pump fakes a ton. the Steelers are yet again like their Super Bowl season, gave up a ton of sacks.

your statement is contradictory. The QB can't pump fake and do all the things you stated with out protection from his QB. Rothlisberger gets sacked a lot because he holds onto the ball forever!

This is absolutely not true. You assume that no protection immediately means a sack, and that simply isn't so. We are talking about pressure and how to evade it - stepping up in the pocket. That presumes pressure awareness - sidestepping the pressure, or running around some to open things up to extend the play. Garcia didn't have excellent protection either but he extended the play with his legs. You can run around and pumpfake without being provided 6 seconds to drop back, scan, read and throw.

Yes Roth gets sacked a lot because of this but he also has won a SB because he can extend plays with his legs. Sketchy protection and scrambling or pump-faking are not mutually exclusive.

Again, I'm not saying Alex is terrible. I just think he needs more snaps. He doesn't yet excel at moving players in the secondary with his eyes. I'm not attacking Alex - but saying that we cannot level ANY criticism is just as unreasonable/irrational as those who don't like him on baseless reasons.

where did I say that no protection means a sack?? no protection means a broken play because it doesn't allow the QB to read the defense and it doesn't allow the play to develop. Smith can't step up in the pocket because majority of the time there is no pocket to begin with. When you have Baas and Chilo allowing defenders to just breeze by them and combine that with Snyder getting beat repeatedly there is no pocket to step up into. I agree that Smith needs to learn how to move defenders with his eyes. It will come with time.

Again, this isn't always true. Yes, Rachal and Baas are terrible. I've been one of their most vocal critics. And yes a good number of times the pocket collapses - I want those two OGs replaced as much as anyone, not to mention Forester gone (which I've been saying since pre-season).

However, QBs can read defense before they snap the ball. This particularly important when you're throwing short - understanding where the blitz is coming from and audible protection to that side of the OL (as if we could pick it up any right?) - but at least try. There were times in this game and in others where Alex locks on to his 1st option, probably because he usually doesn't have as much time. Again my only argument here is that he has to understand the entire field even in the heat of a rush, and fight his tendency to always roll-out right - particularity to Snyder's side of the field.

Whether it's step up or step left, but just get better at understanding where the heat is coming. This does come with time, but it's something you can ask him to do to become a better QB. There's nothing at all wrong with that criticism. I'm rooting for Alex because I've always thought he can do it - I just feel there are areas he can improve. This is one of them.

you can't predict your OLine collapsing on you no matter how great you are at reading a defense. In reading a defense all you can do is hope that you can see what the defense is going to do. What player is going to blitz and what type of defense they are running. You are correct and I agree with you that Smith needs to improve on reading defenses. the guy hasn't played in 2 years so it will take him a bit to get back into playing and reading defenses. The Oline needs to block their guy no matter what. The only players that should be left on the OLine should be Heitman and maybe Staley. The rest have to go and the OLine coach can catch a bus out of town as well.

Agreed, but you can predict where the pressure is going to come and most likely where the collapse will occur. Happens all the time in the NFL. Yes this will come in time for Alex, but it doesn't mean he can't get better or shouldn't get better at it. Again, I'm not attacking him and no he hasn't played in 2 years - I agree with that. However, it's time for him to get it sooner than later and figure it out notwithstanding the huge onus Scott has to fix the talent level at the OL.

I think we're saying the same thing, I just want to ensure everyone is responsible - Alex, the OL, the GM and the coach. Every phase must improve for the team to improve and the original posters question is a valid one nonetheless - maybe not always a valid question, but it's not at as if Alex is beyond reproach.

i agree with what you are saying. and understand it isn't hater talk. i just want to say, i have little problem with him not stepping up. it is the roll out right all the time that irks me. change it up and roll left. though with his should i wonder how wel he can throw at the awkward angle.

Again, I'm not saying Alex is terrible. I just think he needs more snaps. He doesn't yet excel at moving players in the secondary with his eyes. I'm not attacking Alex - but saying that we cannot level ANY criticism is just as unreasonable/irrational as those who don't like him on baseless reasons. No player in the NFL is above criticism. Yes the OL sucks, but the question here is simply "what could Alex have done or what can he do to improve his game."

That's it. No hating.

Reasonable and rational. Does Smith need to play better? Absolutely. Our entire TEAM does. Does ALL the blame fall on Smith? Nope.
Share 49ersWebzone