There are 151 users in the forums

Stepping Up In The Pocket ....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Start asking this question if it's still happening when there is a pocket to step up into.

this
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Start asking this question if it's still happening when there is a pocket to step up into.

man, we ought to ban you for a blatant use of logic.
Alex Smith...the king of the WTF
Originally posted by Joecool:
He doesn't have pocket presence. Even Nate Davis stepped up in the pocket at times during preseason.

It's a sense and unless it's designed on the chalkboard and called presnap, Smith will rarely do it.

i hate you so much, but i like nate davis more so i'm gunna agree witth u on this one
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
He doesn't have pocket presence. Even Nate Davis stepped up in the pocket at times during preseason.

It's a sense and unless it's designed on the chalkboard and called presnap, Smith will rarely do it.

i hate you so much, but i like nate davis more so i'm gunna agree witth u on this one

Don't take it personal. I don't hate anyone on here. I just think we need to be brought back to reality at times when it comes to Smith. We all want him to succeed but some of this INT wasn't his fault stuff will only cause for more confusion whenever he keeps having bad games. I mean Hill averaged more yards per completion than Smith.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

Don't take it personal. I don't hate anyone on here. I just think we need to be brought back to reality at times when it comes to Smith. We all want him to succeed but some of this INT wasn't his fault stuff will only cause for more confusion whenever he keeps having bad games. I mean Hill averaged more yards per completion than Smith.

lol yah i was kidding i dont hate u. but btw you're not following that thread u made in the veterans forum
Originally posted by wadjay:
Because our guards continue to let players right through the middle, or our tackles let players come off the edge untouched. In either case, stepping forward is no help at all and the only way to avoid a sack is to run away from the pressure.

Specifically, in this past week's game, had Alex stepped up in the pocket, he would have taken 8 sacks instead of 3.

The other quarterbacks you have mentioned have good offensive lines. Good offensive lines create a pocket. In a pocket, a quarterback is able to step forward to avoid an outside rush.

We don't have a good offensive line. We don't have a pocket. Thus, our quarterback runs for his life. This isn't just an Alex thing, the same thing happened to Shaun Hill earlier in the season.

This
for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, let me say this (see what i did there?):

Stepping up in a pocket requires that a pocket exists. If there is no pocket, there is no where to step forward to.

is it really that difficult?

must be since so many people don't get it.
Quote:
My wife watched the game with me and simply said to me "babe yal need a new QB".
She doesn't have a clue what she's talking about!

I've seen Smith step up before, it's actually one of the things that he's gotten better at this year, but for the Eagles game he kept stepping out instead of in. I did see him step up on one occasion and it stood out because as soon as he did, the guards collapsed and he was hit as he threw. I was like, man, this oline is going to get us killed again.

Why do we need a new thread for this? I thought we had an official bash Alex thread.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
I don't think smith realizes there is a left side of the field. Every time he gets pressure he roles right. And what happened to scrambling. He's a good runner yet he doesn't utilize that part of his game anymore.

He scrambles away from our best blocker and throws at their best DB.

Originally posted by wadjay:
Because our guards continue to let players right through the middle, or our tackles let players come off the edge untouched. In either case, stepping forward is no help at all and the only way to avoid a sack is to run away from the pressure.

Specifically, in this past week's game, had Alex stepped up in the pocket, he would have taken 8 sacks instead of 3.

The other quarterbacks you have mentioned have good offensive lines. Good offensive lines create a pocket. In a pocket, a quarterback is able to step forward to avoid an outside rush.

We don't have a good offensive line. We don't have a pocket. Thus, our quarterback runs for his life. This isn't just an Alex thing, the same thing happened to Shaun Hill earlier in the season.

Like the one denver has when it looks like they have 30 guys on the field and all day to throw o yes please give me that!
And get closer to Rachal? Brilliant!

Cheers.

P.S. Dripping sarcasm gratis.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He tried on that 4th and 7 and got sacked for it. QB can't step up in the pocket when there's no space to do so and it's falling apart.

You're wrong, there were many plays where Smith turns and runs when he could of stepped into the pocket and extended a play. His pocket awareness
is just not there and it causes a lot of scrambles and throw away passes, he needs to improve this during the off season, it is one of his weakest points.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I'm straddling the fence here. I don't know. Alex looked lost yesterday. It just seemed like he didn't know what was going on out there - what the defense was doing. When that happens, he gets that deer-in-the-headlights look. That's what I saw yesterday.

You're never going to have the perfect situation ever, and teams that do are able to get to the big dance. I absolutely think the OL is just horrible and I attribute one turnover to poor pass protection. However the throw to Davis was overthrown - clearly. Yes Davis could have helped, but the ball was overthrown.

Smith confuses me sometimes and seems like he doesn't understand the difference between trying to "make" a play and "smart" play. He'll tend to lock-on to one target and look all the way giving the safety enough time to get over. Smith rarely looks off the coverage at the snap of the ball and immediately come over to his quick read. Oftentimes he'll just float to the check down.

He's still pretty raw to me and still hasn't learned this part of the game. I'm wondering if he's getting proper coaching again because in this day and age, you can't constantly throw against defenses without looking off coverage. I really believe this is why our WRs don't "appear" open.

I'm a Smith supporter and don't think he "sucks" I just think he needs a QB camp where he's taught how to move secondary players with his body language (ala Brees and Young).

Thoughts.

Agree. He needs a full offseason to be the starter & work with all his recievers to get the timing down.
Did anyone watch the Steelers and Packers later that night?

If so, then you probably saw the last play where the Steelers scored a TD with no time left on the clock. If you saw that, then you would notice that crashface Roethlisberger had around 5-7 seconds to find that receiver. When was the last time you saw that kind of blocking for a niner QB?
Share 49ersWebzone