LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Yes, consistency!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kirkfiege
  • Info N/A
The greatest thing that a football team can have! This is why it's good in this case:

-We seem to have a good coaching staff that can adapt well and be clever, and that will play the best talent (Alex Smith, Josh Morgan, Michael Crabtree), and will encourage the talent to develop (Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks, Shauntee Spencer, Dashon Goldson). It hasn't always been pretty (Offensive miscues, defensive collapses, run/pass ratios), but there is more talent sure to come in the offseason, and consistency will help a lot of these shortcomings.

-Since he was drafted it was known that Alex Smith can become an upper echelon quarterback once he masters an offense. And this will be the FIRST opportunity that we'll have to see if this is true. This is the organization's fault for not testing yet. Alex has shown great flashes of ability this year and deserves this opportunity. I've been disappointed in him the last two games, but can also understand the causes of the turnovers. A better o-line, more familiarity and receivers that know what they're doing will only help big-time!

-Jimmy Raye is showing some variety with power formations and spreads. As he becomes more familiar with our players, and is able to develop the pass attack over an offseason, things will get much sharper. He has also shown flashes.

-The 49ers are a player away from posing huge matchup problems. Parcells likes the two-tight-end better as defenses are getting used to three wr sets and preparing their nickel corners well. Two-tight-ends is a great way to go as it challenges linebackers into coverage. We can run a spread or power out of this with pre-snap motions. If we can get a Reggie Bush type receiver/running back to supplement Gore and Coffee, with Delanie Walker and Michael Robinson going, we can cause fits!

-The defense is finally capable. It just has to show a greater consistency, and we can hopefully add a couple more playmakers.

Offseason needs

-O-Line help! And a new offensive line coach (the only coaching upgrade necessary).

-Another pass-rusher (Brooks, Haralson, and Lawson are good, but any chance to improve this should be jumped on).

-Improved team speed (Brandon Jones could be tried again as a slot to help this, as with Gore, Davis, Walker, Crabtree, and Morgan we're very talented but we don't have that field stretcher to open things up yet. Also, improved defensive-back speed would be nice!)

-Improvements on team-depth (The depth at TE could especially be improved).

-An explosive kick/punt returner (This can also be solved with a speedy Reggie Bush type rb/wr).

And I really truly believe that we can contend next year, thanks to a crazy and unfamiliar thing in Ninerland (since we started losing) called consistency and familiarity!
the only consistancy i see is wth CRABS and DAVIS.....DROPING PASSES!!
  • kirkfiege
  • Info N/A
Haha, Davis mostly, the guy is just not a natural receiver
Originally posted by turbo9er:

way to see the bright side.
Originally posted by kirkfiege:
The greatest thing that a football team can have! This is why it's good in this case:

-We seem to have a good coaching staff that can adapt well and be clever, and that will play the best talent (Alex Smith, Josh Morgan, Michael Crabtree), and will encourage the talent to develop (Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks, Shauntee Spencer, Dashon Goldson). It hasn't always been pretty (Offensive miscues, defensive collapses, run/pass ratios), but there is more talent sure to come in the offseason, and consistency will help a lot of these shortcomings.

-Since he was drafted it was known that Alex Smith can become an upper echelon quarterback once he masters an offense. And this will be the FIRST opportunity that we'll have to see if this is true. This is the organization's fault for not testing yet. Alex has shown great flashes of ability this year and deserves this opportunity. I've been disappointed in him the last two games, but can also understand the causes of the turnovers. A better o-line, more familiarity and receivers that know what they're doing will only help big-time!

-Jimmy Raye is showing some variety with power formations and spreads. As he becomes more familiar with our players, and is able to develop the pass attack over an offseason, things will get much sharper. He has also shown flashes.

-The 49ers are a player away from posing huge matchup problems. Parcells likes the two-tight-end better as defenses are getting used to three wr sets and preparing their nickel corners well. Two-tight-ends is a great way to go as it challenges linebackers into coverage. We can run a spread or power out of this with pre-snap motions. If we can get a Reggie Bush type receiver/running back to supplement Gore and Coffee, with Delanie Walker and Michael Robinson going, we can cause fits!

-The defense is finally capable. It just has to show a greater consistency, and we can hopefully add a couple more playmakers.

Offseason needs

-O-Line help! And a new offensive line coach (the only coaching upgrade necessary).

-Another pass-rusher (Brooks, Haralson, and Lawson are good, but any chance to improve this should be jumped on).

-Improved team speed (Brandon Jones could be tried again as a slot to help this, as with Gore, Davis, Walker, Crabtree, and Morgan we're very talented but we don't have that field stretcher to open things up yet. Also, improved defensive-back speed would be nice!)

-An explosive kick/punt returner (This can also be solved with a speedy Reggie Bush type rb/wr).

And I really truly believe that we can contend next year, thanks to a crazy and unfamiliar thing in Ninerland (since we started losing) called consistency and familiarity!

Good post man I agree! we need to resign Franklin, extend Willis/Davis/Gore/Brooks/Lawson get Clements to adjust his contract. Then acquire 3 OL, a S and maybe a passrusher. I just want a competent PR/KR I don't want Bush.
Originally posted by turbo9er:

agreed, i wonder if that will be a career long thing for crabs? ya i know he is a rook but still.
crabtree will be consistently great next season book it.
Consistency is HUGE in the NFL. It can only be good for this team. Although this season was a disappointment, the team is much better than years past. No big blowouts this year. I really belive playoffs are more than possible next year.
Even though I can be one of the more negative personalities on the board, it's nice to read a positive thread.

P.S. Davis will always struggle with consistency catching, like Owens, but he does way more good than harm.
Good post. Much better than Cut him, fire them and we suck. This team is close. If we keep the coaching staff the same (Besides OL coach who ever the f**k he is) for the most part and add some OL depth, Secondary depth and some other holes in our team, I can't wait to see what we can do next year.

The more we fail and change year in and year out, the less likely we are to succeed.

Good post, man. I agree completely. Give me some new OL, a KR/PR, and a pass-rusher!

Oh, and Standford's OL coach!
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Dec 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM ]
Good post. I agree, we need a team that can be a unit for 2 years consistently. Fellas, what are you gonna do? We have to be patient. It sucks and we are all fans and want our team to win because we as 9er fans take pride in our team, but we haven't had the same qb going into the following season since 05 to 06 and it was a hellava improvement for smith in those two years. We need help in several areas. Before this year davis would be considered a bust too. So with that said, and some additional help on both sides of the ball on the line, I am gonna be excited. Our special teams needs serious attention too. I will keep saying it, 8 and 8 will be a great improvement. Period.

Offseason needs

WELL DONE SIR!

8-8 would be a good step. Atleast it wouldn't be another losing season. I really expect a considerable improvement in 2010. Keep in mind, six of our eight losses were by a margin of 7 points or less. The 49ers just need to correct the little things. This team has a lot of good talent and I believe we're very close to being a good team again, but they just need consistency. They need stability. They need to continue to learn. Miscommunication has been one of our biggest problems this season, that can easily be fixed. I'm very excited to see what we can do!
Originally posted by PTulini:

Offseason needs

WELL DONE SIR!

8-8 would be a good step. Atleast it wouldn't be another losing season. I really expect a considerable improvement in 2010. Keep in mind, six of our eight losses were by a margin of 7 points or less. The 49ers just need to correct the little things. This team has a lot of good talent and I believe we're very close to being a good team again, but they just need consistency. They need stability. They need to continue to learn. Miscommunication has been one of our biggest problems this season, that can easily be fixed. I'm very excited to see what we can do!

I second the motion..............build on what they did right, add some speed to the team, a couple of impact players (OT, pass rush, KR/PR, and secondary) and take the next step back to the playoffs.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Offseason needs

Good post man I agree! we need to resign Franklin, extend Willis/Davis/Gore/Brooks/Lawson get Clements to adjust his contract. Then acquire 3 OL, a S and maybe a passrusher. I just want a competent PR/KR I don't want Bush.

Draft CJ Spiller with Carolina's pick.. My goodness that guy is shifty, explosive and fast as all hell!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone