Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigdon76:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by susweel:
Im probably going to take some heat for this but its needs to be said.

I want to see Alex Smith fail miserably in these last two games. Only reason for that is because then maybe it will convince the decision makers on this team that we need another QB.

Unfortunately he isn't the biggest problem, if you would grade players from 1-100,
he probably is about a 75. There are a lot of 65's on the team that need to be addressed first. You could pull out Alex Smith and insert Peyton Manning and you might get 2 more wins. This team has a lot more holes in it than most zoners realize.

what a idiot statement saying thath we could pull alex and put in peyton and only mustard up 2 more wins.you are a complete idiot to say the least.with 5 to 7 of are losses coming by 7 points or less.are you on crack

You ain't gonna last long 'round these parts. . . .

yup . . . he better mustard up some restraint.

Why because he's calling it like it is??

That was an IDIOT statement. Jeez you posters are sensitive.

Has anyone realized that before the Arizona game...in the 49ers last 6 games in which 5 were losses that the 49ers receivers have DROPPED more than 50 passes from Alex Smith.

And you guys think Peyton Manning would win with that?

Wake up form whatever dreamland that herb put you into....I got some detox pills for you once you come to.

do you realize that he has more ints than games started this year. and as far as his supposid best season of his career under n.turner. your high because he had 16tds 16ints. i dont know to many fans that would be happy with that.mediocre at best.lets be real.shaun hill has the longest pass play on the year.alex cant even complete a pass 10 yards down field w/out lookin like a scared lil b####

do you realize he also has more TDs than games started this year, see i can do that too
Originally posted by bigmike55:

I want to see Alex Smith fail miserably in these last two games. Only reason for that is because then maybe it will convince the decision makers on this team that we need another QB.

Amen brother. I'm sick and tired of the Alex Smith era. Give him the boot already!

Yah man, we gave him another chance and he failed. Its time to move on and hitch our wagon to another horse.

+1

What's the QB count right now ? i've lost track since we traded Garcia
9 ? 10 ?
Let's see ...
Tim Rattay
Cody Pickett
Alex Smith
Shaun Hill
The fool that thought he could play and honor n°12 (don't even remember is name even so he's on espn roster)

Alex is just another name on that list
We'll go nowhere with him
Guess next year after another poor start Smart Sing we'll have to give Nate a shot after he tried one last dose of Shaun ...
Disgusting
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Neither one of these next 2 games are gimme's. A 6-10 record or 7-9 are both very possible.

This club from the owner on down, is now experiencing the final major let-down of the season. The club's objectives (playoffs, winning record) are now out-of-reach. Singletary's rah-rah stuff will not fly when the coaches and players have such a crash in their mindset. Detroit and St Louis both have more to play for than SF.

I would like to see some of the younger guys get worked into the PT mix, guys like Jean-Francois, Biggs, etc. Maybe even call up a few PS guys like TE Finley. Better to go into the off-season with a better read on whether any of these guys are "gamers", who step it up from their practice level of performance, when it's a game that counts.

Just like 2006, Smith needs to get every snap that he get at the QB position. Th earliest that Nate Davis might be ready to provide real starting QB competition, might be 2011, so Smith is still going to be the guy in 2010. Get him reps, reps and more reps in the Raye offense, right now. However, I would move away from the spread and have Smith take his snaps under center, so that he can continue to develop his footwork and back-pedal reads. The Niners cannot have a shotgun QB and expect to have a balanced rushing attack, long-term.

Unfortunately he isn't the biggest problem, if you would grade players from 1-100,
he probably is about a 75. There are a lot of 65's on the team that need to be addressed first. You could pull out Alex Smith and insert Peyton Manning and you might get 2 more wins. This team has a lot more holes in it than most zoners realize.

what a idiot statement saying thath we could pull alex and put in peyton and only mustard up 2 more wins.you are a complete idiot to say the least.with 5 to 7 of are losses coming by 7 points or less.are you on crack

Has anyone realized that before the Arizona game...in the 49ers last 6 games in which 5 were losses that the 49ers receivers have DROPPED more than 50 passes from Alex Smith.

Wake up form whatever dreamland that herb put you into....I got some detox pills for you once you come to.

First you crack on people because we think that some one calling other posters "idiots" is not acceptable, then you claim to back up that same dude. . . by completely contradicting his point.

First you crack on people because we think that some one calling other posters "idiots" is not acceptable, then you claim to back up that same dude. . . by completely contradicting his point.

. . . I was going to try and unravel this clusterf**k exchange and decided it wasn't worth the time.
^^ I'm still not sure that I got it right.

Two more wins or two more losses really won't effect our draft position much, so yea lets keep VD and Alex in and try to break some meaningless records, besides, the more Alex plays the more likely we are to take a QB early on the first day!
I want to see them finish strong-- just pound these last two doormats. Why would i expect anything less? I know it gets us no where in the post season, but what's the alternative... have em stink up the field and leaving us all calling for a new head coach, QB & OC?? Oops, i think that is already happening.
Like i said, finish strong.

He won't fail miserably. He is too talented to.

When Smith fails there is usually an excuse available to back him up. Like when he sprints out of a pocket into pressure and sacks himself, obviously he didn't have a chance and you can just blame the O-line.

He can make good throws, and he plays just well enough to keep people guessing.

But he makes it hard on himself, and all the drama he creates with his panicking make it appear like everything is the O-lines fault.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Two more wins or two more losses really won't effect our draft position much, so yea lets keep VD and Alex in and try to break some meaningless records, besides, the more Alex plays the more likely we are to take a QB early on the first day!

That doesnt make sense

Originally posted by valrod33:

That doesnt make sense

Alex has not won me over, he has shown some ability, he has shown himself to a slightly below average at best NFL journeymen, the more he plays the more evident that becomes, we need to let him play out the season to confirm this.

I feel the more he plays the more likely we are to draft a QB of the future, Alex will be fine for maybe another season or two but we need more than a place holder, Davis is an unknown and most likely not ready to start next season.

Next season our QB roster should look like this:

Smith, Davis, 1st rounder learning the ropes.

or

Veteran Fee Agent, Smith, 1st rounder learning the ropes.

In the second scenario I could see Davis supplanting Smith and Smith being somebody else's Veteran Free Agent. It depends how good a free agent and how good a 1st rounder, and how well Davis progresses.

That doesnt make sense

Alex has not won me over, he has shown some ability, he has shown himself to a slightly below average at best NFL journeymen, the more he plays the more evident that becomes, we need to let him play out the season to confirm this.

I feel the more he plays the more likely we are to draft a QB of the future, Alex will be fine for maybe another season or two but we need more than a place holder, Davis is an unknown and most likely not ready to start next season.

or

In the second scenario I could see Davis supplanting Smith and Smith being somebody else's Veteran Free Agent. It depends how good a free agent and how good a 1st rounder, and how well Davis progresses.

So is that 1st rounder.
Originally posted by SFVNiner:

That doesnt make sense

or

So is that 1st rounder.

I am just using 1st rounder becuase that is were I think we need to look for a QB, it isn't Davis.

Last season around this time I was saying that we did not have an NFL caliber QB on the roster, I a still feel that way. Although Smith has shown himself to be a capable back-up.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Amen brother. I'm sick and tired of the Alex Smith era. Give him the boot already!

Yah man, we gave him another chance and he failed. Its time to move on and hitch our wagon to another horse.

and who would that be. Some washed up veteran that couldn't crack the starting lineup for another team? I think the Raiders tried that.

Some inexperienced backup QB that another team would let go? Oh yea, we did that with Hill?

Some Rookie phenom that Darth Helmet (Mel Kiper) has been promoting?

Or maybe a former Darth Helmet phenom like Brady Quinn or Matt Lienart?

Let's see about another league vet.....CFL, Yea, Cody Pickett. NO. USFL defunct. AFL, like Warner.? No that ones defunct also. How about NFLE? Oh that's right it folded.

Yea, it just looks like quality QBs are just crawling out of the woodwords like maggots. Let's sign two.

I agree. You can't simply replace Smith in the abstract. Who's the QB? How is going to be better than Smith? How quickly will he be better? Hill failed before Smith. It's not the Niners' QB. He's simply the guy with the football when the play breaks down. We need a better team around the QB. Get a winning team and then a new starter--Nate or whoever.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Neither one of these next 2 games are gimme's. A 6-10 record or 7-9 are both very possible.

This club from the owner on down, is now experiencing the final major let-down of the season. The club's objectives (playoffs, winning record) are now out-of-reach. Singletary's rah-rah stuff will not fly when the coaches and players have such a crash in their mindset. Detroit and St Louis both have more to play for than SF.

I would like to see some of the younger guys get worked into the PT mix, guys like Jean-Francois, Biggs, etc. Maybe even call up a few PS guys like TE Finley. Better to go into the off-season with a better read on whether any of these guys are "gamers", who step it up from their practice level of performance, when it's a game that counts.

Just like 2006, Smith needs to get every snap that he get at the QB position. Th earliest that Nate Davis might be ready to provide real starting QB competition, might be 2011, so Smith is still going to be the guy in 2010. Get him reps, reps and more reps in the Raye offense, right now. However, I would move away from the spread and have Smith take his snaps under center, so that he can continue to develop his footwork and back-pedal reads. The Niners cannot have a shotgun QB and expect to have a balanced rushing attack, long-term.
Share 49ersWebzone