LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

The last two games of 2009

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo63:
Unless Alex throws 20 INTS the next 2 games, he's our starting Qb for 2010. We have no better alternative in the draft or free agency. He'll play out 2010 then we'll decide on the Qb then, but until then it's going to be Smith, so get used to it.

You seem so sure of yourself!

I can count in ONE hand the number of games that Smith has played in and NOT thrown an interception. If he continues this trend against the weakest teams in the league like the Lions and Rams, I wouldn't be too sure of your prediction.

He may stay with the 49er's but I would seriously doubt that he will remain the 49er's starting QB throughout 2010. Singletary may be slow, but he is NOT that stupid!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Unless Alex throws 20 INTS the next 2 games, he's our starting Qb for 2010. We have no better alternative in the draft or free agency. He'll play out 2010 then we'll decide on the Qb then, but until then it's going to be Smith, so get used to it.

You seem so sure of yourself!

I can count in ONE hand the number of games that Smith has played in and NOT thrown an interception. If he continues this trend against the weakest teams in the league like the Lions and Rams, I wouldn't be too sure of your prediction.

He may stay with the 49er's but I would seriously doubt that he will remain the 49er's starting QB throughout 2010. Singletary is NOT that stupid!

He may not remain the starting Qb in 2010, but he will start out as the starter, IMO. And as far as the interceptions, what I'm saying is unless he falls flat on his face or worse he will be the starter for the 2010 season. Who else or what else can we get? There's nothing out there unless you take a flyer on a guy like Tony Pike in the 2nd round and even then he wouldn't be ready in 2010.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Frank Gore reach 1000 yards

Stick With Alex at QB

Crabtree get a couple more TDs

Vernon Davis break TD mark for TEs

Niners win last 2 and finish 8-8
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Im probably going to take some heat for this but its needs to be said.

I want to see Alex Smith fail miserably in these last two games. Only reason for that is because then maybe it will convince the decision makers on this team that we need another QB.

Unfortunately he isn't the biggest problem, if you would grade players from 1-100,
he probably is about a 75. There are a lot of 65's on the team that need to be addressed first. You could pull out Alex Smith and insert Peyton Manning and you might get 2 more wins. This team has a lot more holes in it than most zoners realize.
[ Edited by BobS on Dec 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM ]
Frank Gore tear it up for 400 yards. He is the only exciting thing left about this team right now guys! Hwat else eis there left to prove? On the grandest stage the team failed miserably. These two games are really meaningless to me regardless of if we win or not. We have proven who we are to the league already. A bunch of under achievers (players and ESPECIALLY the coaches). For me the ALEX experiment ended when the game against Philly ended; that was my testing meter and yup you guest it he failed the test. A good second stringer he would make though. what's the sense of hime tearing it up against the Lambs and the Kittens, it means nothing for the future. HE is NOT the one! The defense had another let down game just when you thought they had turn the corner.; mental lapses and breakdowns, lack of passrush etc. Go ahead cream the next two opponents if you want guys but to me, you have failed the most important test already. Alas, next year AGAIN!
Absolutely I want to finish 8 and 8. I don't care if those wins come aginst san jose state and u.c. davis. 8 and 8 fellas! It does mean something to finish strong. If everyone plays terrible and we lose the last two than we will have more holes to fill than we originally thought. Come on, we all knew we were gonna lose to philly. Let's not be ridiculous. They are better, A LOT better.
Neither one of these next 2 games are gimme's. A 6-10 record or 7-9 are both very possible.

This club from the owner on down, is now experiencing the final major let-down of the season. The club's objectives (playoffs, winning record) are now out-of-reach. Singletary's rah-rah stuff will not fly when the coaches and players have such a crash in their mindset. Detroit and St Louis both have more to play for than SF.

I would like to see some of the younger guys get worked into the PT mix, guys like Jean-Francois, Biggs, etc. Maybe even call up a few PS guys like TE Finley. Better to go into the off-season with a better read on whether any of these guys are "gamers", who step it up from their practice level of performance, when it's a game that counts.

Just like 2006, Smith needs to get every snap that he get at the QB position. Th earliest that Nate Davis might be ready to provide real starting QB competition, might be 2011, so Smith is still going to be the guy in 2010. Get him reps, reps and more reps in the Raye offense, right now. However, I would move away from the spread and have Smith take his snaps under center, so that he can continue to develop his footwork and back-pedal reads. The Niners cannot have a shotgun QB and expect to have a balanced rushing attack, long-term.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by BobS:

I want to see Alex Smith fail miserably in these last two games. Only reason for that is because then maybe it will convince the decision makers on this team that we need another QB.

Unfortunately he isn't the biggest problem, if you would grade players from 1-100,
he probably is about a 75. There are a lot of 65's on the team that need to be addressed first. You could pull out Alex Smith and insert Peyton Manning and you might get 2 more wins. This team has a lot more holes in it than most zoners realize.

Manning would win 11-12 games with this team.
Originally posted by BobS:

Manning would win 11-12 games with this team.

I put it at 10. Manning's never had this porous of an OL.

Stick With Alex at QB

I sure hope Frankie can get 58 yards in two games, but with this O that is not a given.

I see nothing wrong with giving NDavis 3-7 plays to see how he does under pressure. If that crushes Smith's delicate ego, so be it. They wasted that many plays on the Taser in several games.

BTW - I loved the way Smith was staring off into space while Sing was shewing his ass after his third int. It could have been a cover of Mad magazine.

I'd like to see Nate get a full quarter of play in each game to see what he's got.
  • hb123
  • Veteran
smith, gore, vd, crabtree tare ish up!

gore get 1000!

smith to look like our future

crabtree making defense look silly

vd break some records

and more probowl 9ers besides lee and pwillis
Originally posted by leolion:

Stick With Alex at QB

I sure hope Frankie can get 58 yards in two games, but with this O that is not a given.

I see nothing wrong with giving NDavis 3-7 plays to see how he does under pressure. If that crushes Smith's delicate ego, so be it. They wasted that many plays on the Taser in several games.

BTW - I loved the way Smith was staring off into space while Sing was shewing his ass after his third int. It could have been a cover of Mad magazine.

Pfft, don't f**king act like you know how that conversation actually went down.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
What do you want to see?

For my money:

1. Stick with Smith at QB and try to build some genuine confidence leading into 2010.
2. Pick some spots and see if some of the youngsters can play. In particular I'd like to see if Cody Wallace can hold his own at OG . . . even if it's garbage time. Same with Diyral Briggs at OLB.

Spare us all the talk of tanking the last two games to improve our own pick by one or two spots. It's not an option.
if you r gonna get happy cause alex will try to beat the lions or rams and think these games are gimmes your mistaken.lions will probably beat us and the rams is a toss up.personaly i would be one proud niner fan if alex smith would get a career ending injury in the lions game.remember j peterson always plays good against us.lets go niners tank season away.better draft pick
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Frank Gore tear it up for 400 yards. He is the only exciting thing left about this team right now guys! Hwat else eis there left to prove? On the grandest stage the team failed miserably. These two games are really meaningless to me regardless of if we win or not. We have proven who we are to the league already. A bunch of under achievers (players and ESPECIALLY the coaches). For me the ALEX experiment ended when the game against Philly ended; that was my testing meter and yup you guest it he failed the test. A good second stringer he would make though. what's the sense of hime tearing it up against the Lambs and the Kittens, it means nothing for the future. HE is NOT the one! The defense had another let down game just when you thought they had turn the corner.; mental lapses and breakdowns, lack of passrush etc. Go ahead cream the next two opponents if you want guys but to me, you have failed the most important test already. Alas, next year AGAIN!

Apparently you didn't watch the same game yesterday that I did. I thought for the
first time in quite awhile, Morgan actually played pretty well.

Oh, but it doesn't matter that the Eagles are one of the best teams in the NFC right now. Tell me, who is is that can cover D. Jackson on other teams. Given his propensity for scoring 50+ yard touchdowns this year, who is it that has covered him so well that he wasn't able to get open and hurt other teams? Oh, yea that guy that still hasn't played against him.

Some of you just absolutely amaze me. You have a veteran QB that threw two interceptions also, but no point in making anything out of that.
Share 49ersWebzone