LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Dear God Please send us Safety help!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Amen..

Watching Michael Lewis drag his @ss yesterday was all I could take.. I swear he has to be the slowest saftey in the league.. Oh how I miss the days of Tim Mcdonald and Merton Hanks... Ronnie Lott.... All seem like distant memories..
I'd be more concerned about the other side. Goldson didn't do squat in this game. Lewis' role is to play closer to the LOS, for run support, so he is not the major problem. In fact, he is generally the second leading tackler per game.
I'd settle for Shulters and Bronson at this point.
Its the combo of Goldson and Lewis that is killing the niners. Lewis cant cover anything but is great in run support. Goldson cant cover man and is out of position a lot on zone but is getting better at run support. I wouldnt mind seeing Goldson moved to SS and somebody than can cover play FS, God we can only pray Berry is available with Carolina's pick
hate to say it but Goldson is a huge liability out there. Hopefully he can correct whatever the hell his issue is during the off season.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Amen..

Watching Michael Lewis drag his @ss yesterday was all I could take.. I swear he has to be the slowest saftey in the league.. Oh how I miss the days of Tim Mcdonald and Merton Hanks... Ronnie Lott.... All seem like distant memories..

I want a FS so we can move Goldson to SS PERIOD!!! Don't just blame Lewis, Bly basically just passed Jackson off to Lewis and Lewis passed him off to know one. It's like these CBs say, you take him and the safeties in turn say no you take him when nobody else is left. Trust me, it goes on a lot in the NFL. By the way, WHY ARE OUR TWO SLOWEST COVER GUYS ON THE FASTEST GUY ON THE FIELD? f**kING STUPID. We actually had a chanceat 20-13 if we stopped them and Bly/Lewis didn't give up that big play.
Eric Berry OR Taylor Mays
[ Edited by momoney925 on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Amen..

I want a FS so we can move Goldson to SS PERIOD!!! Don't just blame Lewis, Bly basically just passed Jackson off to Lewis and Lewis passed him off to know one. It's like these CBs say, you take him and the safeties in turn say no you take him when nobody else is left. Trust me, it goes on a lot in the NFL. By the way, WHY ARE OUR TWO SLOWEST COVER GUYS ON THE FASTEST GUY ON THE FIELD? f**kING STUPID. We actually had a chanceat 20-13 if we stopped them and Bly/Lewis didn't give up that big play.

We really need a upgrade to the secondary for sure. Makes me upset just watching it every week.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Amen..

We really need a upgrade to the secondary for sure. Makes me upset just watching it every week.

Go back and watch that play.. Bly just stood there as Jackson ran by him and all Lewis could do is turn and try to catch maybe the fastest reciever in the game..If bly would had popped him even a little in off the snap Lewis would have had at least a chance.. I dont think there is a SS in the leauge that can turn and run with jackson if he has been at full speed for ten yards
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'd be more concerned about the other side. Goldson didn't do squat in this game. Lewis' role is to play closer to the LOS, for run support, so he is not the major problem. In fact, he is generally the second leading tackler per game.

I sure hope McCloughan see's this thread!!!

It was terrible scheme on some of those plays. How in the hell do you double Jackson with our slowest DB's. Michael Lewis and Dre Bly? Come on!!
  • dedfischer
  • Info N/A
Taylor Mays might be the only worse option than Michael Lewis. Way too big for Cover 2. Eric Berry will be go too early. Earl Thomas of Texas is your guy, if he declares as expected. He'll be around in the #11-#20 spots and he's arguably a better cover safety than Berry. Lewis can't run. CB Perrish Cox of OSU is another guy that will show up well at the combine. He can run like the wind making him explosive in the return game (another area of need for the Niners), and he's big enough to play safety. He's a significantly better athlete than Aqib Talib at Kansas a few years back and will develop into a lockdown guy, which improves run defense/sack totals as well. I don't get to watch much football outside the Big 12, but those are the best secondary options I've seen play.
we might be able 2 get otogwe next season ... God make it happen
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFATeflonDon:
we might be able 2 get otogwe next season ... God make it happen

I'd rather have us draft Berry.
Originally posted by momoney925:
Eric Berry OR Taylor Mays

EB TM

other's to consider

Earl Thomas, S, UT
Morgan Burnett, S, GT