LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

No More Change!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
for a guy who had to turn a run first offense into a spread offense mid-season, i think he did a pretty decent job. thats not easy. you really need a whole offseason to change schemes effectively.

you have to bring him back and see how he adjusts next year, our D is looking good enough to where we wont need to be the Colts or Saints offensively to win games. we arent asking him to do anything past his capabilities imo.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Agreed with everyyyything, but, Jimmy Raye. He's got to go dude.

lol if you agree with everything, but think Raye needs to go, you pretty much disagreed with everything i just said.

Raye might be a mediocre OC. he might just not be that great, ok. we get that. but right now, this team doesnt need a mastermind OC, it needs continuity. young teams are prone to making the same mistakes over and over unless the get repitition of the same material and finally get it right.

maybe Raye stinks at moving an offense against good D's, but if he can take even his mediocre system, and let his players finally have something to digest for more than 1 season, they can grow from that as players.

if someone teaches you calculus, wouldnt you rather have a teacher that doesnt know the material quite as well, but works with you week after week until you start to get it? or smarter teachers who understand it more, but theres a new person teaching you every week in their own method.

youd rather have the less knowledgeable teacher who worked with you consistently.

its not the best example in the world, but the point im trying to make is, bringing in a new OC every year only confuses players. they have to learn the same system all over again in a different language. its like taking a year to learn the playbook in spanish, and then having to learn it in french the next year all over again.

changing OC's every season is more damaging to the offense than keeping one OC who isnt all that great. and we know Raye isnt in high demand, so he isnt going to get taken away. which is the whole reason Singletary wanted him. continuity is key. sing is a smart guy.

You make a good point.
  • marls
  • Veteran
why is everyone freaking out because we didnt go into Philly and win? we had that game pegged as a loss from the first day the schedule came out.

the LAST thing this team needs is change. 02-03 offseason, 03-04 offseason, 04-05 offseason, 05-06 offseason, 06-07 offseason, 07-08 offseason, 08-09 offseason, 7 straight years weve changed a coach, an OC, a DC, a GM, etc.

every year this franchise panics and changes it up due to a poor season. all this has done for us is put us in continual rebuilding mode with all new systems to learn. were always stuck in the same rut every year.

heres a thought. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING this offseason. see what you can build on from this year. all the people on this board that pretend to be 49er fans clamoring for a change at coach, a change at OC, a change of ownership, a change of GM, etc, have no idea what theyre talking about.

were in year one of the singletary era. if we break it apart before it hardly gets started, we will end up the same 5-7 win team year after year. this team has shown vast improvement since sing took over last year. the wins havent really came yet, which matters most, but the quality of play, attitude, direction, and fundamentals have taken a drastic improvement. have some patience for crying out loud.

we dont need a new QB, we need to keep the same leader on offense for more than a few games. give our offense a chance to trust and grow with someone. to know who their leader is, and how to gel and get the timing right. throwing nate davis out there is the DUMBEST thing you could do. confuse the other guys about who "the guy" is.

players need continuity, which is where this franchise has failed time and time again for years now. sit down, shut up, and develop the common sense to realize things cant happen overnight.

Well put! 2 1st round draft picks... We will kick ass next year & take names.
Agreed. I don't think a major change in management or coaching is the key this off-season. What the team needs is a major change at some of the talent positions, like OL and S. I mean, how many times can we watch Snyder, Lewis, Roman, Baas, Battle and the rest of the bumblers get burnt before they are removed from the team or put on the bench?
We need ALOT
Originally posted by English:
Yes. Although, if you would permit, I would still like to change the OL coach!

i agree. He's gotta be doing something wrong.
Just get Chris Foerster the hell out, please.
for a guy who had to turn a run first offense into a spread offense mid-season, i think he did a pretty decent job. thats not easy. you really need a whole offseason to change schemes effectively.

you have to bring him back and see how he adjusts next year, our D is looking good enough to where we wont need to be the Colts or Saints offensively to win games. we arent asking him to do anything past his capabilities imo.

I agree. Everybody thinks that he is doing a terrible job and that he should go, but actually, I think the opposite. I think Raye has done a pretty good job of calling plays this season. Unfotunately, we don't have the players to run the type of offense that they originally intended to run.

We do not have a RT
Our G's have been inconsistent
Our LT has been out for the majority of the season
We switched QB's towards the middle of the season
Our FB has been underutilized
We have no blocking TE (Vernon blocks well, but after him...)
Our young receiving corps is still learning how to block

Blocking by the receivers may be the key. The only receiver we have that blocks well is Battle, and he has virtually disappeared from the offense, for good reason. In order to pound the football, the majority of the above mentioned issues will have to be resolved.

Next season, instead of installing a new system like we have the past 6 years, we can focus on expanding the system, and incorporating multiple variations and formations, as well as clarifying roles for each and every player, on offense and defense.

We really weren't quite sure what we had at the beginning of the season. We may know even better what we don't have now.
The only change that must be made is Forester.

I would also suggest a deeper look at the Mike Johnson QB Coach. Not really convinced he has done a good job. Some have suggested, rather comically to me, that Johnson should become the OC. Alex has all the skills but is lacking in an area that the QB coach should have taken care of by now.
We have the makings of a very good football team. We are NOT in any elite status. We still need some changes starting w/ an new Oline coach, new ORT, OLG and one very fast receiver.

Agree with this. I want things to stay together & gel, but we need a new o-line coach for sure!
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Raye was a rookie coach's, with a relatively inferior grasp on the game's X and O's, last choice at offensive coordinator.

Why do people assume having any offensive coordinator back-to-back years automatically produces results?

It's okay though: all this fan base needs is it's typical dose of meaningless late-season wins and we'll be content for another offseason.

Exactly. We've been blessed with the gift of playing two of the most rotten teams in the history of football in the upcoming weeks. It's going to serve to disguise this wretched season and give most hope for the future. The schedule makers did us no favors.

It's just like last year when we eeked out a season ending win over a Redskins team that had quit weeks earlier. We acted as if it was the Super Bowl. It was an embarrassing display of over reaction.

The next two wins should be guaranteed. The BS that will accompany these two wins is surely guaranteed as well.
[ Edited by posterX on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM ]
  • wingkong
  • Info N/A
Most likely, we will be 8-8 unless we fall asleep the next two games. That is improvement from last year. We were competitive against the better teams...in their home not ours. We will be 5-1 in the division. With 2 first round picks, we can continue to move forward.

What I do not get, and please help me understand...how does the 49ers have such a difficult road series than the 1st place Cards?

By order of difficulty -

49ers played at 14-0 Colts; 11-3 Vikings; 10-4 Eagles; 9-5 Cards; 9-5 Packers; 7-7 Texans...

Cards played at Giants 7-6; Jaguars 7-7; Titans 7-7; Niners 6-8

Next year will not be so lucky for the Cards, right?
  • x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
why is everyone freaking out because we didnt go into Philly and win? we had that game pegged as a loss from the first day the schedule came out.

the LAST thing this team needs is change. 02-03 offseason, 03-04 offseason, 04-05 offseason, 05-06 offseason, 06-07 offseason, 07-08 offseason, 08-09 offseason, 7 straight years weve changed a coach, an OC, a DC, a GM, etc.

every year this franchise panics and changes it up due to a poor season. all this has done for us is put us in continual rebuilding mode with all new systems to learn. were always stuck in the same rut every year.

heres a thought. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING this offseason. see what you can build on from this year. all the people on this board that pretend to be 49er fans clamoring for a change at coach, a change at OC, a change of ownership, a change of GM, etc, have no idea what theyre talking about.

were in year one of the singletary era. if we break it apart before it hardly gets started, we will end up the same 5-7 win team year after year. this team has shown vast improvement since sing took over last year. the wins havent really came yet, which matters most, but the quality of play, attitude, direction, and fundamentals have taken a drastic improvement. have some patience for crying out loud.

we dont need a new QB, we need to keep the same leader on offense for more than a few games. give our offense a chance to trust and grow with someone. to know who their leader is, and how to gel and get the timing right. throwing nate davis out there is the DUMBEST thing you could do. confuse the other guys about who "the guy" is.

players need continuity, which is where this franchise has failed time and time again for years now. sit down, shut up, and develop the common sense to realize things cant happen overnight.

[ Edited by x49ersx123 on Dec 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agree with this. I want things to stay together & gel, but we need a new o-line coach for sure!

Second that. 9ers need to make the change at the line with the coaches at those respective positions. We are gonna have smith at under center next year and let's just pray we finish 8 and 8. I know it may be false bravado to get excited after the season, but at least it will eliminate the consecutive losing seasons we have been accustomed to.
Share 49ersWebzone