LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

No More Change!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
why is everyone freaking out because we didnt go into Philly and win? we had that game pegged as a loss from the first day the schedule came out.

the LAST thing this team needs is change. 02-03 offseason, 03-04 offseason, 04-05 offseason, 05-06 offseason, 06-07 offseason, 07-08 offseason, 08-09 offseason, 7 straight years weve changed a coach, an OC, a DC, a GM, etc.

every year this franchise panics and changes it up due to a poor season. all this has done for us is put us in continual rebuilding mode with all new systems to learn. were always stuck in the same rut every year.

heres a thought. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING this offseason. see what you can build on from this year. all the people on this board that pretend to be 49er fans clamoring for a change at coach, a change at OC, a change of ownership, a change of GM, etc, have no idea what theyre talking about.

were in year one of the singletary era. if we break it apart before it hardly gets started, we will end up the same 5-7 win team year after year. this team has shown vast improvement since sing took over last year. the wins havent really came yet, which matters most, but the quality of play, attitude, direction, and fundamentals have taken a drastic improvement. have some patience for crying out loud.

we dont need a new QB, we need to keep the same leader on offense for more than a few games. give our offense a chance to trust and grow with someone. to know who their leader is, and how to gel and get the timing right. throwing nate davis out there is the DUMBEST thing you could do. confuse the other guys about who "the guy" is.

players need continuity, which is where this franchise has failed time and time again for years now. sit down, shut up, and develop the common sense to realize things cant happen overnight.
Yes. Although, if you would permit, I would still like to change the OL coach!
Raye was a rookie coach's, with a relatively inferior grasp on the game's X and O's, last choice at offensive coordinator.

Why do people assume having any offensive coordinator back-to-back years automatically produces results?

It's okay though: all this fan base needs is it's typical dose of meaningless late-season wins and we'll be content for another offseason.
[ Edited by IDontGetNaked on Dec 21, 2009 at 1:05 AM ]
Not the loss to Philly but the losses to TEN and SEA. I don't know the last time a team could go 5-1 in the division and not make the playoffs. Seriously.
While I agree we need to keep the same coaches in place (except on OL and possible WR), we need a new QB!

Smith should go into next year as the starter, but we should draft a QB and let him develop and start him in two years.

Smith is nothing but a backup, he has no pocket presence, tends to be inaccurate, makes questionable decisions with the ball, and does not have the attitude needed from a franchise QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Not the loss to Philly but the losses to TEN and SEA. I don't know the last time a team could go 5-1 in the division and not make the playoffs. Seriously.

Hopefully we go 5-1 or better in the division next year and THIS is the last time a team does it and not make the playoffs

The title of this thread is like the anti obama lol.
Originally posted by Niners99:
why is everyone freaking out because we didnt go into Philly and win? we had that game pegged as a loss from the first day the schedule came out.

the LAST thing this team needs is change. 02-03 offseason, 03-04 offseason, 04-05 offseason, 05-06 offseason, 06-07 offseason, 07-08 offseason, 08-09 offseason, 7 straight years weve changed a coach, an OC, a DC, a GM, etc.

every year this franchise panics and changes it up due to a poor season. all this has done for us is put us in continual rebuilding mode with all new systems to learn. were always stuck in the same rut every year.

heres a thought. DONT CHANGE ANYTHING this offseason. see what you can build on from this year. all the people on this board that pretend to be 49er fans clamoring for a change at coach, a change at OC, a change of ownership, a change of GM, etc, have no idea what theyre talking about.

were in year one of the singletary era. if we break it apart before it hardly gets started, we will end up the same 5-7 win team year after year. this team has shown vast improvement since sing took over last year. the wins havent really came yet, which matters most, but the quality of play, attitude, direction, and fundamentals have taken a drastic improvement. have some patience for crying out loud.

we dont need a new QB, we need to keep the same leader on offense for more than a few games. give our offense a chance to trust and grow with someone. to know who their leader is, and how to gel and get the timing right. throwing nate davis out there is the DUMBEST thing you could do. confuse the other guys about who "the guy" is.

players need continuity, which is where this franchise has failed time and time again for years now. sit down, shut up, and develop the common sense to realize things cant happen overnight.

Great post and totally agree. I remember back in the early 90s...didnt the 49ers start of rough a couple years or one of the years when Young took over?? Even when he started to win, he would just choke during big games. Obviously our offenses arent the same and Smith is no Young BUT the bigger point is: we didnt change everything after a loss or disappointing season. We built around our core players, kept continuity, let Young DEVELOP into a leader, and let players rally around him and bam...SB champs.

Im not trying to make comparisons obviously but its just an example to show that continuity and letting your players grow and trust someone like you said is vital. This isnt Madden or your fantasy league. Cant just change sht up and expect wins overnight. The pieces are there...now its time to utilize them properly.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Hopefully we go 5-1 or better in the division next year and THIS is the last time a team does it and not make the playoffs

well im anti-obama, so thats fine.

everyone commenting so far acts like theres just some magical stud QB waiting to take over. every time Alex Smith gets time to dig in and start figuring things out, you want to pull his feet out from under him. give him ALL of next year. if hes still stinking it up, then you make a change.

but overall hes been solid this year. he had a bad game, as did the whole team. a few weeks hes been the only guy keeping us in it. too much of the blame is being laid on Smith. everyone always has to find a scapegoat.

i just wanted to let you guys know, if youre calling for a new QB already, youre making a fool of yourself. if everyone dumped a player without sticking with him a little while, half the superstars in the NFL wouldnt be playing anymore. the chargers gave up on Drew Brees.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

well im anti-obama, so thats fine.

everyone commenting so far acts like theres just some magical stud QB waiting to take over. every time Alex Smith gets time to dig in and start figuring things out, you want to pull his feet out from under him. give him ALL of next year. if hes still stinking it up, then you make a change.

but overall hes been solid this year. he had a bad game, as did the whole team. a few weeks hes been the only guy keeping us in it. too much of the blame is being laid on Smith. everyone always has to find a scapegoat.

i just wanted to let you guys know, if youre calling for a new QB already, youre making a fool of yourself. if everyone dumped a player without sticking with him a little while, half the superstars in the NFL wouldnt be playing anymore. the chargers gave up on Drew Brees.

Oh don't get me wrong bro I'm anti Obama also and for the most part I agree with what you say. Everyone wants to blame him for that Seattle loss but he was the only one keeping us in the game in that game so I don't get that. I think for the most part we need to see if continuity can work. If it doesn't we can always make a change later anyway.
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Raye was . . . last choice for offensive coordinator.

Why do people assume having any offensive coordinator back-to-back years automatically produces results?

Agreed, Raye has been in the league for ~ 30 years and has never been a good OC. Why waste another year for "continuity" when you are just delaying the inevitable? Is it better if they suck for another year, and then you find a good OC? I would try to move Raye to asst coach, and get a young guy to take over play calling, or groom a young guy to take over.

Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Raye was . . . last choice for offensive coordinator.

Agreed, Raye has been in the league for ~ 30 years and has never been a good OC. Why waste another year for "continuity" when you are just delaying the inevitable? Is it better if they suck for another year, and then you find a good OC? I would try to move Raye to asst coach, and get a young guy to take over play calling, or groom a young guy to take over.

because right now we have a fragile situation with a full team of young players who are just starting to get it. why do you think were the only team in the NFL whos had 6 OC's in 6 years? because its a stupid strategy.

our offense has been horrible for years because the entire language changes every single season. its like having a brand new expansion team every year. brand new everything to learn for every player. it doesnt work that way.

its a moot point, because Sing is coming back, Raye is coming back, and Smith is coming back as the starter, as they should be. im just trying to smack some sense into people.
I agree about a few position coaches being added. Other than that the key pieces are in place. We only need to add a few more pieces.
Agreed with everyyyything, but, Jimmy Raye. He's got to go dude.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

lol if you agree with everything, but think Raye needs to go, you pretty much disagreed with everything i just said.

Raye might be a mediocre OC. he might just not be that great, ok. we get that. but right now, this team doesnt need a mastermind OC, it needs continuity. young teams are prone to making the same mistakes over and over unless the get repitition of the same material and finally get it right.

maybe Raye stinks at moving an offense against good D's, but if he can take even his mediocre system, and let his players finally have something to digest for more than 1 season, they can grow from that as players.

if someone teaches you calculus, wouldnt you rather have a teacher that doesnt know the material quite as well, but works with you week after week until you start to get it? or smarter teachers who understand it more, but theres a new person teaching you every week in their own method.

youd rather have the less knowledgeable teacher who worked with you consistently.

its not the best example in the world, but the point im trying to make is, bringing in a new OC every year only confuses players. they have to learn the same system all over again in a different language. its like taking a year to learn the playbook in spanish, and then having to learn it in french the next year all over again.

changing OC's every season is more damaging to the offense than keeping one OC who isnt all that great. and we know Raye isnt in high demand, so he isnt going to get taken away. which is the whole reason Singletary wanted him. continuity is key. sing is a smart guy.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

lol if you agree with everything, but think Raye needs to go, you pretty much disagreed with everything i just said.

Raye might be a mediocre OC. he might just not be that great, ok. we get that. but right now, this team doesnt need a mastermind OC, it needs continuity. young teams are prone to making the same mistakes over and over unless the get repitition of the same material and finally get it right.

maybe Raye stinks at moving an offense against good D's, but if he can take even his mediocre system, and let his players finally have something to digest for more than 1 season, they can grow from that as players.

if someone teaches you calculus, wouldnt you rather have a teacher that doesnt know the material quite as well, but works with you week after week until you start to get it? or smarter teachers who understand it more, but theres a new person teaching you every week in their own method.

youd rather have the less knowledgeable teacher who worked with you consistently.

its not the best example in the world, but the point im trying to make is, bringing in a new OC every year only confuses players. they have to learn the same system all over again in a different language. its like taking a year to learn the playbook in spanish, and then having to learn it in french the next year all over again.

changing OC's every season is more damaging to the offense than keeping one OC who isnt all that great. and we know Raye isnt in high demand, so he isnt going to get taken away. which is the whole reason Singletary wanted him. continuity is key. sing is a smart guy.

Yep, we need to keep Raye for sure, he actually wasn't as bad as I thought he would turn out to be
Share 49ersWebzone