LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

If Not Smith....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
...then who?

I see this a lot: "bench smith, he's horrible", "i told you he stinks, get rid of him" "smith crumbles again, we need a new qb", "look at his body language, what winning qb does that?"

and ever single one of those arguments to get rid of smith fail to mention a replacement, nevermind someone who could replace him and win. They make make a perfectly logical argument as to why they don't believe he isnt the future, but never offer a replacement. Thats the purpose of this thread.

For everyone who wants smith replaced, offer up which QB you want to replace him and why he would do better. This must be based on FOOTBALL EVIDENCE that actually means something (i.e. no preseason), so no "[insert name] because he did well in preseason" and no "smith should stay because he has a high ceiling."
well, logic points to nate davis. but i'm not dropping smith yet... i guess...
  • ZRF80
Smith has already stamped his spot as starter next season. The question is who do we replace him with when he fails by week 3 ? Cant draft a QB; would be a waste and leave us with no serviceable QBs. Gotta go FA.

Guys like Campbell and Pennington are looking for permanent homes. And if we truly believe in Nate Davis, then we cant waste time with guys like this.

Unfortunately, the market looks weak. Only 2 options: Bring Garcia back from the dead, OR...........dare I say it.................Michael Vick. Either option, as pathetic as they sound, are INSTANT upgrades over Smith.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Smith has already stamped his spot as starter next season. The question is who do we replace him with when he fails by week 3 ? Cant draft a QB; would be a waste and leave us with no serviceable QBs. Gotta go FA.

Guys like Campbell and Pennington are looking for permanent homes. And if we truly believe in Nate Davis, then we cant waste time with guys like this.

Unfortunately, the market looks weak. Only 2 options: Bring Garcia back from the dead, OR...........dare I say it.................Michael Vick. Either option, as pathetic as they sound, are INSTANT upgrades over Smith.
Jason campbell without the pressure of dan snyder, and D.c + QB coach Mike Johnson= Championship.. (not really, but i think he could be a good qb)

Keep smith, get campbell, cut hill, keep nate.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

This argument is past it's sell-by date. Neither Garcia nor Vick will represent an upgrade on Smith next year.
Something I haven't seen discussed much is that Smith is getting to run an offense that Hill never was given a chance to run. When Hill was in the 49ers wer so conservative it made you want to scream. How do we know that Hill wouldn't have thrived with this new spread playcalling? And don't say Hill can't throw the ball, he did just fine in the Mike Martz circus offense.

How about trying to acquire Kevin Kolb? I love that guy.
Nate Davis wins by default. He's the only QB on the roster who hasn't proven to be a failure.

If I were Singletary, I would consider rotating Smith and Davis on each series for the next two weeks and have a real competition. Both QBs will have to deal with piss poor OL play and the WRs.

What exactly has Smith done to keep his job this year or next year? He didn't beat Hill out even this year.
Originally posted by 49erScott:
Something I haven't seen discussed much is that Smith is getting to run an offense that Hill never was given a chance to run. When Hill was in the 49ers wer so conservative it made you want to scream. How do we know that Hill wouldn't have thrived with this new spread playcalling? And don't say Hill can't throw the ball, he did just fine in the Mike Martz circus offense.

How about trying to acquire Kevin Kolb? I love that guy.

Hill wasn't given the chance to run the spread because he isn't a good QB. The reason we play conservative is because the niners pretty much didn't have any faith in hill thriving under a certain system. They wanted him to play conservative and not lose games because our D was on fire.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Nate Davis wins by default. He's the only QB on the roster who hasn't proven to be a failure.

If I were Singletary, I would consider rotating Smith and Davis on each series for the next two weeks and have a real competition. Both QBs will have to deal with piss poor OL play and the WRs.

What exactly has Smith done to keep his job this year or next year? He didn't beat Hill out even this year.

LOL You can't play football rotating QBs on every different series. You might be able to give a guy a quarter or whatever, or put him in situational situations, but you can't do that. It won't work.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

LOL You can't play football rotating QBs on every different series. You might be able to give a guy a quarter or whatever, or put him in situational situations, but you can't do that. It won't work.

why not? It's not like the next two weeks have any importance other then pride.

Or Sing can just bench Smith and play Davis but that idea might ruffle the feathers of the Alex stans.

Or Sing can just bench Smith and play Davis but that idea might ruffle the feathers of the Alex stans.

because:

"No chance. Remember, Davis doesn't even practice at QB. @iamgenus Any chance we see Nate Davis out there against Lions or Rams? #49ers"

twitter.com/mattmaiocco

Sing already said today that even though he played like crap that Alex is more or less his guy. More QB instability is not what we need. Whatever.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

because:

"No chance. Remember, Davis doesn't even practice at QB. @iamgenus Any chance we see Nate Davis out there against Lions or Rams? #49ers"

twitter.com/mattmaiocco

Yeah because Maiocco makes the personnel decisions. He offered his opinion which obviously isn't a fact.

He has as much insight into the 49ers as you and I do
Originally posted by darkknight49:

because:

twitter.com/mattmaiocco

Yeah because Maiocco makes the personnel decisions. He offered his opinion which obviously isn't a fact.

yea, because i also get to talk to players, staff, and personnel and get to watch them practice on a daily basis.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Maiocco isn't the only one who's reported this.

Davis has been playing for the scout team and not even taking snaps at QB. He's definitely not going to play this year and I'm not convinced that he's a viable starter in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone