LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Owner/Management Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Owner/Management Thread

Originally posted by SJniner7:
If we keep going on this trend, I would like to see Jed pull the trigger. We can't expect to keep doing the same thing and expect different results. He fired Nolan midway through the season, so he may need to part ways with Sing. He might even be calling head coach candidates now...

I will admit I disliked Denise and John York, as they did not seem to care about the team at all. Jed seems more involved, and has shown the ability to pull the trigger (i.e. fire nolan). Let us hope he does not wait too much longer...

Jed better be on the phones.
What makes this even worse is that we have so much talent on this team. We just need an owner who is willing to hire a winning coach. I'm on board for Gruden, Dungy or whoever else has a proven track-record. We also need an experienced GM. Someone mentioned Parcells. Idk how much longer his contract with the Dolphins is for, but the man simply knows football talent...throw all the money in the world his way.

I like Jed. He wants to win. He just needs to spend money like everyone else. The season is already shot, so he needs to start making phonecalls behind the scenes right now.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
a team takes on the personality of their coach.

the players of this team are taking off their jerseys. because mike singletary took off his pants.

Alex's eyes are blazing thru his reads and scrambling right... just like Singletards seasickness-inducing eyes.
Originally posted by kstolai:
If we keep going on this trend, I would like to see Jed pull the trigger. We can't expect to keep doing the same thing and expect different results. He fired Nolan midway through the season, so he may need to part ways with Sing. He might even be calling head coach candidates now...

I will admit I disliked Denise and John York, as they did not seem to care about the team at all. Jed seems more involved, and has shown the ability to pull the trigger (i.e. fire nolan). Let us hope he does not wait too much longer...

Jed better be on the phones.

I feel Jed may be afraid of Singletard. He may have Paraag fire him...
we need new owner/management. end thread
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we need new owner/management. end thread
Originally posted by wailers15:

YEs but Jed fell in Love with Singles, so it's not saying to much about him

It was very easy to become enamored with Singletary. He did not make a ton of boneheaded mistakes in 2008. And he is a very likable guy! There is no way he would be fired after 2009 with the Niners showing improvement and Sing ensuring he is building the team the way he wants it. Therefore, the ideal time to fire him would be after this year or sometime midseason.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
the yorks are CHEAP! won't pay for a decent coach, i mean we still don't even have a general manager for pete's sake. They also never take accountablility for the horrible product we are subject to. IT STARTS AT THE TOP

The 49ers fans including the community in Santa Clara, should not support a new stadium until then.
Larry Ellison would spend insane amounts of cash on an all-world coaching staff.
The pattern I keep noticing is that the York's seem to consistently value character over talent. Alex Smith is a great kid, he's very smart and he's a hard worker. The York's love that he's the first person to arrive at practice and the last to leave. They like that he is the face of the franchise. It doesn't matter that the results have been sub-par, because they can see that he is trying to improve. They love that he says all the right things in the media and does so with a convicing smile. The problem is that even though he's an awesome guy, he's a below average QB and has never shown great ability. I'm not sure this matters much to Denise or John. The York's love Mike Singletary for his passion, conviction and that he is a great family guy. He even wears a cross around his neck which kind of epitomizes his dedication to trying to preach what he thinks is right and good. But clearly Singletary is overmatched in terms of X's and O's and hasn't done a good enough job with the actual teaching. It has been proven that you have to be able to coach and play the chess matchups to win. But the York's still stick by their man and will continue to do so for the remainder of the season. Maybe there's no one better and its the right choice, but on the other hand its really no surprise. The York's loved Mike Nolan because he was likable in his suits and projected a clean image. He also had a great tan, better than most. He also at least once convinced John York to keep him on the staff when it was clear that he should be fired. Why? Because John York loves the whole Nolan image, of a guy looking like a wall street banker on the sidelines, it LOOKS professional. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

What's the common thread here? Denise and John York love high character people. They love projecting a clean, family image for their fans. They put this above winning. Even if I think Nolan is kind of a cocky prick, he is exactly the type of guy that the York's like. They will absolutely go with the perceived high character guy even when there's a better talent available.

I've read in many articles that the York's are absolutely enamored with Singletary. They love him as a person, even if he was totally unprepared to coach at the NFL level. Its clear that they hired somebody who is so far in over his head, that I feel bad for him. Sing could be a good coach eventually, but he was promoted way to soon.

I don't see the York's hiring Gruden. He's too fiery and always has a grimace on the sidelines. He's a great coach, but he's too intense I think.

I think most of us genuinely would get along with Alex Smith off the field and at least appreciate Sing for his tremendous character. Obviously that doesn't produce wins in the NFL. So far Jed has proven to be just like his parents, somebody who gets caught up in believing that character alone can put your franchise back on the map. Until this changes we are screwed.
[ Edited by rubbersoul80 on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM ]

Originally posted by rubbersoul80:
The pattern I keep noticing is that the York's seem to consistently value character over talent. Alex Smith is a great kid, he's very smart and he's a hard worker. The York's love that he's the first person to arrive at practice and the last to leave. They like that he is the face of the franchise. It doesn't matter that the results have been sub-par, because they can see that he is trying to improve. They love that he says all the right things in the media and does so with a convicing smile. The problem is that even though he's an awesome guy, he's a below average QB and has never shown great ability. I'm not sure this matters much to Denise or John. The York's love Mike Singletary for his passion, conviction and that he is a great family guy. He even wears a cross around his neck which kind of epitomizes his dedication to trying to preach what he thinks is right and good. But clearly Singletary is overmatched in terms of X's and O's and hasn't done a good enough job with the actual teaching. It has been proven that you have to be able to coach and play the chess matchups to win. But the York's still stick by their man and will continue to do so for the remainder of the season. Maybe there's no one better and its the right choice, but on the other hand its really no surprise. The York's loved Mike Nolan because he was likable in his suits and projected a clean image. He also had a great tan, better than most. He also at least once convinced John York to keep him on the staff when it was clear that he should be fired. Why? Because John York loves the whole Nolan image, of a guy looking like a wall street banker on the sidelines, it LOOKS professional. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

What's the common thread here? Denise and John York love high character people. They love projecting a clean, family image for their fans. They put this above winning. Even if I think Nolan is kind of a cocky prick, he is exactly the type of guy that the York's like. They will absolutely go with the perceived high character guy even when there's a better talent available.

I've read in many articles that the York's are absolutely enamored with Singletary. They love him as a person, even if he was totally unprepared to coach at the NFL level. Its clear that they hired somebody who is so far in over his head, that I feel bad for him. Sing could be a good coach eventually, but he was promoted way to soon.

I don't see the York's hiring Gruden. He's too fiery and always has a grimace on the sidelines. He's a great coach, but he's too intense I think.

I think most of us genuinely would get along with Alex Smith off the field and at least appreciate Sing for his tremendous character. Obviously that doesn't produce wins in the NFL. So far Jed has proven to be just like his parents, somebody who gets caught up in believing that character alone can put your franchise back on the map. Until this changes we are screwed.

Great evaluation of the Yorks but you left out the most important part of your post.
WHY do the Yorks ALWAYS value character over football smart individuals?
Because they don't know football or football people, so they go with what they know and it will NEVER WORK!!!
The lack of football minds in the organization is unbelieveable. McCloughan leaves, and now Trent "Soft Spoken" Baalke is expected to work the phones? Or is it Singletary who is forceful enough to take over, but knows nothing of X's and O's. Either way, its a mess.
bring in Parcells as a consultant.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Well, I was hoping for some constructive discussion, but that didn't happen.

You guys are frustrated, hell I am, but listen to yourselves. Simply saying "Yorkies Suck. Dorkies. Dorks, etc." is incredibly lame and if actually believe that's a coherent, intelligent thought when you hit "post this message," then I worry about your well-being.

The 49ers are still paying for their mistake of firing Steve Mariucci. The Yorks are pretty hands-off owners (but they provide the people in charge what they need), that has been established. They trusted BILL WALSH's hand-picked guy Terry Donahue, and he was a colossal failure, which is why he was let go.

But the point remains, since Mooch was let go, it has been 3 coaching failures in a row (assuming Sing doesn't learn from his mistakes). They should NOT be in charge of hiring the next coach. Is Baalke ready to assume that responsibility (he's a lot like McCloughan in that he's better in running the personnel side of things rather than the whole show)?

Jed would greatly benefit from hiring somebody with football experience to be the team president instead of him (which won't happen) as he transitions as the acting owner and is able to concentrate on the stadium project. He has too much on his plate and he's inexperienced.

The Chiefs did that when Clark Hunt went out and got Scott Pioli, hired experienced coordinators to help a 1st time coach (Todd Haley) and they are further along than the Niners. Hopefully Jed sees this.

Also to counter, everyone is afraid of a 1st time [insert position]. Arthur Blank hired a rookie GM, a rookie HC, who drafted a rookie QB and look at the Falcons. The difference between the two teams is that they've hit on their QB and the 49ers missed badly.

There is a major difference. Blank hired a guy who had front office experience working with Pioli and Belichik with the Pats. They hired a defensive coordinator that had years of experience coaching x's and o's, and had a successful defense in the years leading up to the hire. They also were smart enough to hire a coach and gm and not let a rookie coach run the whole show. That's what you call a smart, and quality ownership. That's why they drafted the correct qb. Let's take a look at how terrible management does it. The Yorks hire Nolan a defensive coordinator with a 50/50 background of success with his units. Who Ravens players were happy to get rid of. Then they give him full control which was the downfall of the last 6 years. If the Yorks had any real football smarts at least they would have just made Nolan head coach and not let him have control over personnel. That's the big difference between Arthur Blank(he isn't perfect Patrino was a bad hire, but he did pass on Singletary), and the Yorks. That's good management vs bad management at it's finest. Nolan was clearly in over his head. Thus the Niners draft the wrong qb(should've been Rodgers), and thus 6 years later the team still is losing regardless of the talent on the team. Then on top of that they feel that Nolan isn't cutting it and they hire his clone in Singletary. Talent has increased but the wins haven't. That falls on a bad front office who hires bad coaches that leads talented players nowhere. It's not that a rookie head coach can't be successful it's that a smart front office sets him up to succeed by putting good football guys around him.

Exactly, thanks for proving my point. You're willing to give Blank the benefit of the doubt for his mistakes (Vick, Mora, McKay as GM, Petrino), but not Jed who has only been in his position for a yr and a half. Mike Nolan is a good DC. Scot McCloughan came from the Ron Wolf/Ted Thompson scouting tree. They didn't work out. That doesn't mean the Yorks didn't have the forsight to hire people from a successful organization.

I'm not giving Blank the benefit of the doubt just pointing out how different the situations are. You implied that they just lucked up on a qb when in fact they had good football folks in place, and that's why they drafted a good qb. Thus the Niners had bad football folks in place and they drafted a bad qb. It isn't about the amount of mistakes Blank made vs the Yorks mistakes. It's about one specific mistake of letting dummies run your front office in which the Yorks seem to love to do.
"People" like the Yorks Should NOT have the right to own such a Storied Franchise as Our Beloved 49ers. They DO NOT deserve that Time-Honored Privilege. Especially since they "Fell" backward into that Position By Happenstance & Default.

Every Major Sports League except The NHL & MLS unfortunately has one of these Blights on Humanity who are in WAY Over Their Heads as Principle Owners of a Franchise. The NBA has The Bonehead Donald Sterling of the L.A. Clippers. Major League Baseball has Those Fighting McCourts of The L.A. Dodgers, and We 49er Loyalists & The NFL have this EMBARRASSMENT collectively known as "The Yorks".

Fault may lie a little bit with Sing & his staff. It may also be Part Alex Smith who is a component of this Failing Equation, as well. But it's 90% York. Common sense dictates that The Buck Stops there. Our 49er Pride says that their time has come.

The Yorks Gotta Go. Yesterday.

[ Edited by 49er2DaCorps on Oct 10, 2010 at 21:26:12 ]
Share 49ersWebzone