• Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
The ''juries'' still out ?

IT'S A FU*KIN EVERY YEAR PROBLEM

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE!

Yep. Look at the Panthers for crying out loud. Their backups flat out dominated in run blocking against the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!
Heitman and Staley are the only keepers on the line. Even then, I don't see why the zone is so crazy for Staley but whatever. That said, our guard play rivals the worst in the entire league and Snyder is AWFUL. We desperately, desperately need a starting-caliber RT via draft or FA. That is our biggest need, IMO. A guard or two is necessary as well.

For once, we don't need skill positions on O. Crabs, VD, and Gore are IMO the best WR-TE-RB trio in the league. Morgan, J. Hill, and Walker are solid backups. Smith has played well enough this year (though he was bad today, no doubt) that we don't need to take a QB early. However, we have to get a speedy WR/RB/KR/PR guy in the mold of Percy Harvin. Our return game has been atrocious all year and lacks speed. We need a sure-handed, speed returner. Perhaps Reggie Bush, who may be available in FA, or a guy like Spiller or Best in the draft.

I thought our pass-rush was coming around until today. McNaab had all day to throw, though I didn't see us bring pressure that often. Maybe we were worried about getting beat deep? We need some DBs, though. Spencer has played great this year, but the other corner has been weak all year whether its Clements, Bly, or Brown. I think Goldson and Lewis are good players but they seem to be liabilities in coverage, particularly Lewis.
Originally posted by merm49:
Heitman and Staley are the only keepers on the line. Even then, I don't see why the zone is so crazy for Staley but whatever. That said, our guard play rivals the worst in the entire league and Snyder is AWFUL. We desperately, desperately need a starting-caliber RT via draft or FA. That is our biggest need, IMO. A guard or two is necessary as well.

For once, we don't need skill positions on O. Crabs, VD, and Gore are IMO the best WR-TE-RB trio in the league. Morgan, J. Hill, and Walker are solid backups. Smith has played well enough this year (though he was bad today, no doubt) that we don't need to take a QB early. However, we have to get a speedy WR/RB/KR/PR guy in the mold of Percy Harvin. Our return game has been atrocious all year and lacks speed. We need a sure-handed, speed returner. Perhaps Reggie Bush, who may be available in FA, or a guy like Spiller or Best in the draft.

I thought our pass-rush was coming around until today. McNaab had all day to throw, though I didn't see us bring pressure that often. Maybe we were worried about getting beat deep? We need some DBs, though. Spencer has played great this year, but the other corner has been weak all year whether its Clements, Bly, or Brown. I think Goldson and Lewis are good players but they seem to be liabilities in coverage, particularly Lewis.

So you basically agree with me. But will McC get those guys? We've had those same needs for a few years now. I think McC needs some help.

And will Raye use the players properly? I think he's average, but we need a championship caliber OC.
I don't think we change our OC often enough. Yearly isn't working. I say give them four games then sack 'em.

And please, please, please let us draft OL and get a good OL coach. All the threads in the dwr keep getting excited about skill players and the line tends to get dumped into the "oh well we can fix it in FA" bin.

Draft O Line!!!
  • rob28
  • Veteran
1get holmgren before he goes to Cleveland.

2if not holmgren shanahan.

Problems solved.
Originally posted by English:
I don't think we change our OC often enough. Yearly isn't working. I say give them four games then sack 'em.

And please, please, please let us draft OL and get a good OL coach. All the threads in the dwr keep getting excited about skill players and the line tends to get dumped into the "oh well we can fix it in FA" bin.

Draft O Line!!!

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
The ''juries'' still out ?

IT'S A FU*KIN EVERY YEAR PROBLEM

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE!

seriously.

of all the teams faults, poor play, inconsistancies, etc, poor pass blocking has ALWAYS been this teams major fault.

our D does its job. we get beat as a pass D, but were banged up in that area, and we have some young guys who will be good. overall the D is a playoff caliber unit when healthy.

the offense, on the other hand, is too inconsistant. i know this is tough for you guys to comprehend, but all those bad plays Alex Smith makes? notice a common theme in any of them? hes running for his life.

you guys are all sitting here yelling at Smith for running backwards and side to side and throwing it away, when his OL just got spun around and shoved aside before he could even get set.

repeat after me!

UNTIL WE FIX THE OL, WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

its as simple as that. give us the vikings, panthers, colts, or titans OL? were a playoff team no doubt about it. run blocking is spotty, but they can manage it, but pass blocking? awful. i dont know if staley was rusty or what, but there were eagles in the 49er backfield on almost every snap.
I have only one thing to say.....Wah, wah. waaaaaaaah.

Maybe you should be a Lions fan.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Dec 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by rob28:
1get holmgren before he goes to Cleveland.

2if not holmgren shanahan.

Problems solved.

I'm with you on this one. but I swear the Yorks just don't seem to give a fcuk. I know folks in here are about to jump on d!ck and hang on my pubics like Marcia Clark. But I personally can't put it in words how much this ownership angers me.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
I don't think we can ignore our woes at secondary. We need to upgrade that area for next year. We keep getting destroyed on big plays. An improved secondary can create more "coverage sacks" that are just as effective as a bull rush.

• kdogg
  • Veteran
We've had high OL picks before. We need another Bob Mckitric(sp?). OL is getting undercoached and underprepped.
Prioritized needs for 2010:

1.) Upgrade starting talent at RT. Snyder isn't the answer. Pashos is also a question. Sims can't play RT worth a damn. Has Boone made a quantum jump in his development? Probably need a new face here via FA or the draft. Possible to shift Staley back to RT, if a franchise LT comes through the draft?

2.) Upgrade starting talent for at least one of the starting OG spots, maybe both. Baas may/may not leave in FA. Rachal is way too inconsistent. Pashos might be that guy, if he moves inside from OT, but a new face is likely required. Wallace can't even get activated. Wragge remains a valuable, affordable reserve due to his C/OG versatility, but lacks starter-quality speed and quickness.

3.) More speed and quickness at starting SS. Love Michael Lewis' heart and moxie, but he is deteriorating with "Derek Smith disease" (all instincts, good tackler, but no speed).

4.) A sure-handed, elusive, fear-inspiring, punt returner. Would be great if a position player would claim this job, but I don't believe that such a player is on the current roster, unless it might be Clements. Neither R. Smith, nor Jones are inspiring. Battle will not be re-signed. Clements might not be either, based on the size of his contract vs his demotion from the starting CB position.

5.) A young CB to develop for a year behind Clements, Spencer, and Brown. Harris won't be back. Bly will likely leave to get more money elsewhere. Hudson is fine on ST, but nothing special as a CB. Kevin Smith is off the street. Reinforcements are urgently needed at CB.

Better come out of the FA/draft process with ALL of these 5 needs addressed. Beyond these, pass rushers are always needed, at whatever position (DL or LB).

These roster spots will likely be open for the 2010 season:
OG Baas - likely to sign elsewhere for more $
WR Battle - will not be re-signed, probably looking at retirement.
CB Bly - likely to sign elsewhere for more
WR Bruce - retirement
DE Evans - out of his element in the 3-4 scheme
CB Harris - will not be re-signed.
CB Hudson - need more than just a ST tackler from this roster spot.
FB Norris - he's done
OT Patrick - just a body
S Roman - gone if get a big talent in the draft
CB Smith - nothing special
LB Ulbrich - retirement
C/OG Wallace - can't even get active, Wragge the better reserve
Why does heitmann get a bye!!!!!
He is supposed to be the leader!
He is supposed to call the blocking!!!!
Yet the major pressure came right up the middle
Share 49ersWebzone