LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

‘No-Brainer’ Major Team Needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
‘No-Brainer’ Major Team Needs:

Better Management:
#1. GM: Keep McC as head of scouting, but if we want to win superbowls, we need someone wiser than him to make the final decisions.

#2.Offensive Coordinator: Raye is not a very good OC, so we need a craftier O. coordinator if you want to win big.

??Singletary??: Juries still out on Sing. He's a good speaker and motivator, but he sure didn’t select a very good offensive coordinator, and he cut the only decent return man (Rossum). Let's see if he aggressively address these needs over the off-season. If we don't make the playoffs next year, we also need a new head coach.

Critical Player Needs:
#1. O Line (esp. OT): Obviously not very good, a big negative for McC’s drafting. Need at a starting OT, plus an OG to develop (or start).

#2. Impact Speedy Receiver & Return Man: Another big negative on McC. If the 49ers had any one of many speedy return guys McC has passed on, they likely would have made the playoffs! Yet year after year McC passes on a speed guy and instead stocks the bench with strong, slow DB’s and WR’s that do nothing but polish the bench with their butts.

#3. Impact Pass-Rushing OLB: In 5 years McC has mostly whiffed on pass rushers.

Other Misc. Needs:
#4. DB: Could always use a great FS and/or CB and, but their DB’s are OK, so this need is not as critical as the 3 needs listed above.

#5. QB??: Smith appears not to be a star, and ‘adequate’ isn’t good enough for a QB. Therefore we should be looking for a QB to develop. Start Smith next year, but keep your eyes open for another QB.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Dec 21, 2009 at 1:51 AM ]
Originally posted by maxsmart:
‘No-Brainer’ Major Team Needs:

#1. GM: Keep McC as head of scouting, but if we want to win superbowls, we need someone wiser than him to make the final decisions.

#2.Offensive Coordinator: Raye is not a very good OC, so we need a craftier O. coordinator if you want to win big.

#3. O Line: Obviously not very good, a big negative for McC’s drafting. Need at a starting OT, plus an OG to develop (or start).

#4. Impact Speed Receiver & Return Man: Another big negative on McC. If the 49ers had D. Jackson this year, they likely would have made the playoffs! Yet year after year McC passes on a speed guy and instead stocks the bench with strong, slow DB’s and WR’s that ride the pine.

#5. Great Pass-Rushing OLB: In 5 years McC has mostly whiffed on pass rushers.

Other Misc. Needs:

#6. DB: Could always use a great FS and/or CB and, but their DB’s are OK, so this need is not as critical as the 3 needs listed above.

#7. QB: Smith appears not to be a star, and ‘adequate’ isn’t good enough for a QB. Therefore we should be looking for a QB to develop. Start Smith next year, but keep your eyes open for another QB.

#8. Singletary??: Juries still out. Good speaker and motivator, be he sure didn’t select a good offensive coordinator, and he cut the only decent return man. Let's see if he aggressively address these needs over the off-season.

Your #2 choice just continues the cycle of inconsistency. Unfortunately, Raye needs to stay thru 2010. After that, make that decision.
as much as i don't want to say this, i really don't think we should fire Jimmy Raye. i am NOT defending him or his 50% of the time terrible playcalling, but god damn can we please just keep continuity? give raye/mcclueless (or if he's fired, someone else)/singletary an offseason to put their heads together and create a FA/draft gameplan to fit the offensive schemes we need
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Dec 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM ]

The team needs her to MILF us...
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:

No ass, fail. Please try again.
Everyone keeps talking our need for a franchise tackle, but our bigger proble has actually been our Gaurd play. That is Baas and Chilo our two second round picks...
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
as much as i don't want to say this, i really don't think we should fire Jimmy Raye. i am NOT defending him or his 50% of the time terrible playcalling, but god damn can we please just keep continuity? give raye/mcclueless (or if he's fired, someone else)/singletary an offseason to put their heads together and create a FA/draft gameplan to fit the offensive schemes we need

Last year the 49ers were 22nd (edit) on offense, this year they have regressed (~28th), despite having better personnel. That’s due to poor coaching.

Most people agree that offensive football is mostly coaching and scheme. Everyone agrees that the 49ers players are good guys, team players, hard workers, etc. Bill Walsh always said that offensive was about coaching, and he proved it. Yet the 49ers offense sucks, therefore they don’t have a good offense scheme or coaching.

If a great offensive coach can be unearthed, why waste another year with a substandard offensive coach? Keep Raye as asst coach, and add a young up-and-coming coach.

Sean Peyton turned around the Saints his first year. They were 3-13 before he arrived and then went 10-6 his first year. It doesn’t take years to know if a coach is good. Raye has been in the NFL for about 30 years, and has PROVEN to be mediocre. You can NOT win a championship with him in charge. Raye could be kept on for continuity as asst coach.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Dec 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM ]

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Everyone keeps talking our need for a franchise tackle, but our bigger proble has actually been our Gaurd play. That is Baas and Chilo our two second round picks...

True, another big black mark on McC's record. But Snyder hasn't been good either. You would expect that Rachel will improve, and you should be able to find a good guard in FA or in 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds.

The other needs I mentioned are more difficult needs to fill, and therefore more important. But I agree the guards have been inconsistent.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Dec 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM ]

Last year the 49ers were ~ 15th on offense, this year they have regressed (~28th), despite having better personnel. That’s due to poor coaching.

Most people agree that offensive football is mostly coaching and scheme. Everyone agrees that the 49ers players are good guys, team players, hard workers, etc. Bill Walsh always said that offensive was about coaching, and he proved it. Yet the 49ers offense sucks, therefore they don’t have a good offense scheme or coaching.

If a great offensive coach can be unearthed, why waste another year with a substandard offensive coach? Keep Raye as asst coach, and add a young up-and-coming coach.

Sean Peyton turned around the Saints his first year. They were 3-13 before he arrived and then went 10-6 his first year. It doesn’t take years to know if a coach is good. Raye has been in the NFL for about 30 years, and has PROVEN to be mediocre. You can NOT win a championship with him in charge. Raye could be kept on for continuity as asst coach.

Incorrect.

Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Last year the 49ers were ~ 15th on offense, this year they have regressed (~28th), despite having better personnel. That’s due to poor coaching.

Incorrect.

My bad, they were 22nd in 2008
[ Edited by maxsmart on Dec 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM ]
We finished 23rd last year on offense.... NOT 15TH....

We finished 22nd in scoring offense
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Dec 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM ]
Basically we haven't had a top 20 offense in 6 or 7 years...

I'm to lazy to look up the real stat but it's something like that.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

No ass, fail. Please try again.

Good one.
The ''juries'' still out ?

IT'S A FU*KIN EVERY YEAR PROBLEM

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE

OLINE!
Share 49ersWebzone