LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Our Underrated Pash Rush

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I rather have 3-4 above average / good pass rushers, then just 1 great pass rusher. Look at SD when Merriman got hurt last year, their D was bad.

We have a handful of people that can rush the passer, all with their own unique style. Scheme > Player.

I'd rather have a great passrusher and get sacks at the end of games when we really need them. Nothing more valuable than a player that can beat his man one on one when the game is on the line. Charles Haley type> scheme

True. We run a 3-4, and as I like to quote Parcells on this type of D, if you run a 3-4 you better have a dominant OLB first, than a NT.

Right now we have 2 (Willis and Spikes) of 4 LBs to be as good as the greatest 4 LBs I've ever watched on one team, the Dome Patrol: ILBs Sam Mills and Vaughn Johnson, and OLBs Pat Swilling and Rickey Jackson.
Brooks has shown more flashes than either Haralson or Lawson, so if we can find just one more OLB to be our Swilling....
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
Its only been underrated for about 3 weeks. Don't get ahead of yourself.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Our Underrated Pash Rush

We're 7th in the NFL in Sacks at 34. That's great considering the relatively few coverage sacks we seem to get. When we get sacks, they're within 3 seconds. Think how many Justin Smith pressures would be sacks with a little more help from the secondary.

We're 11th in the NFL in sacks per dropback at 1 sack per 15.2 dropbacks.

With a more solid coverage scheme, our sack % will go up next year.

We don't need to invest in an OLB in the offseason.

Yeah to Greg Manusky. he's called some great blitz's. I think in the preseason we were all worried about not having any pressure. Well he sure pulled one over on us. I'd like to hope we can keep him a few more years, but i think he'll be up for a head coaching spot very soon.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
I rather have 3-4 above average / good pass rushers, then just 1 great pass rusher. Look at SD when Merriman got hurt last year, their D was bad.

We have a handful of people that can rush the passer, all with their own unique style. Scheme > Player.

I'd rather have a great passrusher and get sacks at the end of games when we really need them. Nothing more valuable than a player that can beat his man one on one when the game is on the line. Charles Haley type> scheme

True. We run a 3-4, and as I like to quote Parcells on this type of D, if you run a 3-4 you better have a dominant OLB first, than a NT.

Right now we have 2 (Willis and Spikes) of 4 LBs to be as good as the greatest 4 LBs I've ever watched on one team, the Dome Patrol: ILBs Sam Mills and Vaughn Johnson, and OLBs Pat Swilling and Rickey Jackson.
Brooks has shown more flashes than either Haralson or Lawson, so if we can find just one more OLB to be our Swilling....
Great set of LBs there. Anything close to Swilling or Jackson would be much better than we have now.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I wonder if the mods can create a "Nick Bradley" Forum. I mean, is this his fifth new thread of the day?

Cheers.

He is a walking stream of consciousness looking for a forum... and I think he may have found it..

I dont get the hate for lawson, dude is good in coverage, and wraps up runners (harlson doesn't need I remind you... Chris Johnson... 4th and goal...)

Lawson isnt a monster pass rusher, but i think he makes up for it in other ways.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I dont get the hate for lawson, dude is good in coverage, and wraps up runners (harlson doesn't need I remind you... Chris Johnson... 4th and goal...)

Lawson isnt a monster pass rusher, but i think he makes up for it in other ways.

Lawson is a stud off the edge he beat's his guy every time, he just has to learn to do the spin move back up after beating the tackle to the edge and it will put him right behind the qb after the arch. he's improved but needs work.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I believe that's whats sets us apart from elite 3-4s, two OLBs that are capable of rushing the passer. We're not playing the old Elephant D with Haley, our system relies on two rushers.

Lawson would be great in a 4-3. He reminds me of Julian Peterson without the passrush. Also, he's better than Peterson at the pt of attack but a not as good in pass coverage. Remember that game against KC when Peterson pretty much shut down, Gozalez.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by pw52:
I agree that we dont need an OLB but i Would love to have TCU's Jerry Hughes, he has running back like speed. Can you image that, 3 linebackers with 4.4 speed. That would wear out any offensive tackle.

I really doubt Hughes runs a 4.4 forty. In fact, I'll be shocked if he comes in under 4.6 at the combine (which is still great for an OLB/DE, but it's not 4.4). Not to mention, it really doesn't matter what a pass rusher runs in a span of 40 yards. It's his initial quickness/burst off the ball that counts. Show me a great 10-split (1.55 or under), and the ability to bend/dip around the edge, and I'll show you a great pass rushing prospect.

NFL DraftScout.com says he runs a 4.72, for whatever it's worth.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by pw52:
I agree that we dont need an OLB but i Would love to have TCU's Jerry Hughes, he has running back like speed. Can you image that, 3 linebackers with 4.4 speed. That would wear out any offensive tackle.

I really doubt Hughes runs a 4.4 forty. In fact, I'll be shocked if he comes in under 4.6 at the combine (which is still great for an OLB/DE, but it's not 4.4). Not to mention, it really doesn't matter what a pass rusher runs in a span of 40 yards. It's his initial quickness/burst off the ball that counts. Show me a great 10-split (1.55 or under), and the ability to bend/dip around the edge, and I'll show you a great pass rushing prospect.

NFL DraftScout.com says he runs a 4.72, for whatever it's worth.

That sounds about right, and would be a solid time for any OLB/DE prospect.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 19, 2009 at 20:50:53 ]

Where was the great pass rush, an dBrooks who is just getting it. I keep telling you guys you can't get hype off 2 games, but folks never learn. i don't think McNabb was even knocked down today.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Where was the great pass rush, an dBrooks who is just getting it. I keep telling you guys you can't get hype off 2 games, but folks never learn. i don't think McNabb was even knocked down today.

Just like you can't judge one great game, you also can't judge one bad game. In fact, I believe we still have more team sacks (33) than do the Eagles (30) on the year, so you can't discount how far this team has come based on just this game, just like you can't say we have a great pass rush based on the AZ game.

Today we just had a bad day in just about every phase of the game, not just pass rush.
Pass rush has been decent so far actually. We just got beat by a better team. Thats going to happen when you start off the way we did.

I dont know why this is so hard for some people to accept. You can dissect is 20 million different ways and blame everyone you want but the Eagles have experience, trust among players especially on offense, and continuity. They are how we SHOULD be. Instead we are the revolving door of coordinators, coaches, players, schemes, identities, etc. We are the OPPOSITE of the Eagles and therefore we cannot WIN like they do.
When I think of our pass rush, I think of the games where we really needed to put pressure at an important time of the game and we were crap. Atlanta, Houston, Tennessee, Green Bay, Seattle, and Philly.
Haralson and Lawson aren't the answer. There are too many times when the QB sits in the pocket for 5 seconds, so you can't put all the blame on the DBs. Which is another story.
Oh well, just like the past 7 years, we have the draft to look forward to.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Just like you can't judge one great game, you also can't judge one bad game. In fact, I believe we still have more team sacks (33) than do the Eagles (30) on the year, so you can't discount how far this team has come based on just this game, just like you can't say we have a great pass rush based on the AZ game.

Today we just had a bad day in just about every phase of the game, not just pass rush.

Good teams show consistency. Our team never shows consistency on both offense and defense
Share 49ersWebzone