LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Does Running Success Create Victories, or do Victories Create Running Success?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Running Success Create Victories, or do Victories Create Running Success?

Everybody knows about the statistical correlation between running the ball well and running. However, correlation does not prove causation.

Do you win because you run the ball, or do you run the ball because you're winning?

I believe that winning leads to running. You get up with the lead and run the clock out, hence the reason for the statistical significance.

[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:22:07 ]
bump
Its simple...the best running team may not win games...

But teams that win have the ability to run the ball when down, distance, situation, or defensive personnel package call for it.

Running teams don't always win...but teams that win can run when they have to.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Yes
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

It's a false choice. Running and winning go hand in hand, but one does not cause the other.
strong running games and strong D-line play win Super Bowls, we see it every year.

A team sneaks into the playoffs and ends up winning the Super Bowl because of this.

If you have no run game, the pass is harder to set up, we saw this 2 weeks ago in Seattle
I don't think it's winning that creates running success. Rather, I believe that it's having a solid lead in the 3rd and 4th quarter that generates a higher YPG total (or gives the impression of running success).
Ya...running the ball is WAY over-rated.

Don't get me wrong, its important, but its usually not until the end of a game you are already winning that many teams really START running the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone