There are 269 users in the forums

Little-known "multi-team" wild-card tiebreaker rules (9-7 Niners=playoffs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Most of us realize that head-to-head is the top tiebreaker for the wild-card. But what I didn't know is that the order of tie-breakers changes if there are 3 or more teams with the same record!

As a result, if (for example) the 49ers, Atlanta, and the Giants all end up at 9-7, the 49ers would get the wild card spot. In this scenario, the 49ers and Atlanta win out and the Giants lose one of their final 3 games. Currently, we have a 5-4 conference record, the Falcons are 5-6, and the Giants are 5-4 with three conference games to go. The same goes for Dallas: If we're tied at 9-7 with them, we get the wild-card!

I didn't know this before, but it makes me think that a wild card spot is likely if we win out. Gotta beat Philly though

Alerted to this by a Mike Sando post:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/11144/mailbag-various-playoff-scenarios
Yeah, this is good news for us.

I think somebody already posted a thread on this somewhere in here though...
go niners!!!!
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Probably buried in an 80-page thread -- the mods love doing that.
Better chance we get the wild card than win NFC West. Arizona has to lose to either Rams or Lions and that is not happening. Better Chance, dallas ny giants and falcons are tank, and lose and we get in at 9-7. Eagles actually made playoffs last year with dallas, chicago, and tampa bay all crashing down.

[ Edited by Jamespowers on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:38:55 ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Or on page 326 of Niner talk...

Now if we can beat Philly we stand a chance (and IMO that's a big if)...
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for nickbradley.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Better show we get the wild card than win NFC West. Arizona has to lose to either Rams or Lions and that is not happening. Better Chance, dallas ny giants and falcons are tank, and lose and we get in at 9-7. Eagles actually made playoffs last year with dallas, chicago, and tampa bay all crashing down.

Great point. The chances of Atlanta and the Giants losing at least one game is high, and the chances of Dallas losing (gasp) 2 of 3 in December is high. A look at their schedules:

Dallas:
@ New Orleans (prime time)
@ Washington (prime time)
Philadelphia

Giants:
@ Washington
Carolina
@ Minnesota

Atlanta:
@ New York Jets
Buffalo
@ Tampa Bay

Rest assured, we can all go with our instincts and root against Dalls this December; they have a brutal schedule and I think that they'll lose to Washington(!).

The Giants should lose one of their three games, either @WAS or @MIN (maybe even Carolina).

Atlanta doesn't have to lose another game for us to make the playoffs as long as there's a third team at 9-7.

actually yes. it is a merger i disagreed with. the guy came with great info, broke it down saying what teams had to lose and what not, then it gets merged in a thread where the OP says

dude we are alive in the playoffs.
Most of us realize that head-to-head is the top tiebreaker for the wild-card. But what I didn't know is that the order of tie-breakers changes if there are 3 or more teams with the same record!

As a result, if (for example) the 49ers, Atlanta, and the Giants all end up at 9-7, the 49ers would get the wild card spot. In this scenario, the 49ers and Atlanta win out and the Giants lose one of their final 3 games. Currently, we have a 5-4 conference record, the Falcons are 5-6, and the Giants are 5-4 with three conference games to go. The same goes for Dallas: If we're tied at 9-7 with them, we get the wild-card!

I didn't know this before, but it makes me think that a wild card spot is likely if we win out. Gotta beat Philly though

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/11144/mailbag-various-playoff-scenarios

wow i was reading it. dudes we could have a cardinals vs 49ers wildcard game.

Originally posted by jdt84_2:

wow i was reading it. dudes we could have a cardinals vs 49ers wildcard game.

That would Rock
I'm confused. Sando talks about getting the 5th wildcard spot, which GB holds at 9-4. Does that mean they have to lose out to get to 9-7?

[ Edited by FourNine49 on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:51:11 ]
What would be funny is if we got the wildcard, and ended up facing arizona in the first round.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
I'm confused. Sando talks about getting the 5th wildcard spot, which GB holds at 9-4. Does that mean they have to lose out to get to 9-7?

yes. it is very unlikely but could happen. and it is much likelier than i originally believed( god i hope the niners do their part)
doubt we even make it past the eagles.
Share 49ersWebzone