LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

Can 49ers Expose Weaknesses? (LINK FIXED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tmg808:
Eagles are trying to transition an OLB to a MLB, and Trotter is there starting MLB. CB Samuels said he wasn't signed to make tackles for there team and only had 1 tackle last game. There two starting DTs are barely 300lbs, they sub in there 3rd DT to use for run stopping.

1st of all if Jordan is in the game he is not a true MLB, he is in the middle of transitioning to the position. He played over 20 snaps last week and only made 2 tackles at middle LB. For MLB, seems like Gore can abuse Trotter if they can get 1 on 1 match ups. 49ers can take advantage of him in the middle of the field on the pass. There poor LB play has been noticed by the media and the fans (can tell by there comments to this article LB Break Down )

2nd should test if Samuels can tackle, I think the bubble screen to the WR can be affective for Crabtree and Morgan, expose his laziness to make a tackle. The DT's I feel they can expose especially if its a bad weather game, (expected to snow Saturday and Sunday morning) they don't get a lot of push up the middle and make there plays with angles. 49ers should use less pulling in this game and block straight down on these smaller DTs. The run out of the shotgun will probably be very affective. Last year Gore had 15 of his 18 rushes up the middle go for 4 or more yards.
There DTs only had 3 tackles total last year against the 49ers.

All that being said if the 49ers need to keep it close so they can stay in there game plan, this team isn't as good as they are pumped up to be. They aren't as good personnel wise as the Colts or the Vikings which the 49ers played tough. Last year the 49ers lost it in the 4th quarter wiht JT starting at QB (he had 3 turnovers himself)

I agree with everything you have to say except the Eagles are an awesome football team. I watch them every week (my gf is a eagles fan) and they are extremely good, well balanced, deep team. They have had some injuries so they do have some holes and occasionaly they get beat by teams like the Raiders so we have some help.
Originally posted by matt49er:

I agree with everything you have to say except the Eagles are an awesome football team. I watch them every week (my gf is a eagles fan) and they are extremely good, well balanced, deep team. They have had some injuries so they do have some holes and occasionaly they get beat by teams like the Raiders so we have some help.

I agree they definitely play hard as a team, to expose these weaknesses the 49ers are going to have to play a great game. The Eagles will make you pay for your mistakes, but if the 49ers can keep their mistakes at a minimum and really get physical with this team I believe they have a chance.
Share 49ersWebzone