There are 194 users in the forums

Raye thinks he may not be back next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/12/rayes-ideal-off.html

Interesting. I know he hasn't been amazing, but holy crap 6 OCs in 6 years for the QB, OL, RB, etc. is bad. We might as well keep him for continuity sake and give him a chance to draw up some more plays. I don't want to see us go to a whole new system or coordinator again.
"Raye paused and smiled as he always does and asked, "Are you including me" in that decision-making process? It seemed as if Raye was saying that he wasn't sure whether he'd be back next season. I later asked him about this and he said he paused because he had been concentrating on finishing 2009 and hadn't thought much about 2010. But he said he was not contemplating stepping down from his position. As for Smith, Raye said that the quarterback would have to continue to win games, but that he expected him to do just that. "I would think that this organization -- that he would be the quarterback in 2010, yes," he said"

Raye is not going anywhere.
Raye will be here next year. the last thing we need is another change in the offensive system, just when we are starting to get it. Sing knows it, and Raye will stay.

he hasnt been half bad calling plays, and has held his own through all this major offensive revamp. its actually fairly impressive. i think everyone panicked when he got hired because he hadnt had tons of success, and he looked like bill cosby and uncle fester combined.

but i think hes clearly done more with our offense than anyone has since Norv Turner in 06. i think he sticks around a couple more years, just to at very least keep the same system for the players for once.
You know, at the beginning of the season I was really hesitant about Raye. I'm really liking him now. He seems to be adjusting and after seeing him in the booth on Monday night you realize the old man has some fire too. I am glad he'll be back next year. It is only up from here. =)
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
"Raye paused and smiled as he always does and asked, "Are you including me" in that decision-making process? It seemed as if Raye was saying that he wasn't sure whether he'd be back next season. I later asked him about this and he said he paused because he had been concentrating on finishing 2009 and hadn't thought much about 2010. But he said he was not contemplating stepping down from his position. As for Smith, Raye said that the quarterback would have to continue to win games, but that he expected him to do just that. "I would think that this organization -- that he would be the quarterback in 2010, yes," he said"

Raye is not going anywhere.

Yes he must stay to have some type of progress.
i hope he doest go anywhere. im excited to see what the offense can do when it's working on the intricacies of an offense in the offseason, rather than the basics.
I m glad too. Cant wait to see this offense with a better line and exp with the recievers. It will b dynomite!!
He's not going anywhere...he's got Singletary's support and he believes in Alex. He said the offense would be a work in progress and it has been just that. But, he's at the point where it looks like a little fine tuning should get more consistent results. Alex really needs someone stable like Raye...who's been there, done that, and can help him smooth out any bumps in the road. It took awhile, but I think the offense is headed in the right direction now, and continuity's what's needed most.
Lets just stick with old man raye sick and tired of having another OC each year. I just don't want to run on a risk on hiring another Hostler.
Well raye is 63. Everybody makes fun of him by saying he falls asleep in the booth but maybe he really is tired of coaching. They're pretty much grooming Mike Johnson for the future

He will be here next year.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
He will be here next year.

Yeah. I think it was an attempt of humor by Raye's part.

He's done what Singletary and McCloughan wanted - taking the next step from 2006. The utilization of Frank Gore and Vernon Davis is the sole reason why we still have some playoff hopes this season. Pack that in with the development of Smith and Crabtree, and he's done a pretty good job.

I am most impressed by him putting his OC ego aside and crafting a game plan that the players actually want to run. You would never hear Mike Martz doing that, and the enhanced motivation shows by our improved offensive play - particularly our offensive line.

Who would have thought that Frank Gore would be having career numbers with our offensive line woes (if he had played those additional extra games)?
If he goes, Smith isn't our QB of the future.
he started the season bad and considereing the change of Qb and the big change in playbook in the middle of the season i think hes done a great job he should be back next year and the playcalling will be much better as well
No one is going anywhere next year or the year after that ! we need them to stay and make Alex better ! he said what he said to jap at the reporters saying he is going to get fired or let go cuz his O not working !

Ray was getting used to the players he has and he did not know what he had cuz Crap did not sign right away and Alex started middle of the season !
Share 49ersWebzone