There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Issac Soapoaga

Originally posted by awol36:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by ptinerocket:
First of all I understand that his position especially as a 3-4 DE is to draw defenders and not really a stat juggernaut, but

........................Tackle Assist...Solo..Sack..FF
Aubrayo Franklin....28.....19......9......2.0....0
Justin Smith...........45......31.....14.....2.5....2
Isaac Sopoaga.......23......15.......8......1.0...0

clearly Ike hasn't made as much of an impact as the other two,

my question is, is he a keeper or should we he step down for balmer?

He was drafted to be a project, and has he developed or still need more years?

Issac has made a big impact this season,he's part of the reason the 49ers are #5-6 in rush defense this year.

ditto, you never see him getn man handled.
No way we let him go...He's a 2-ton stone when on his game(try and move that)... if he's doesnt make the play he assists our D by redirecting the play towards the help

[ Edited by Ninerwinner on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:10:31 ]
Originally posted by Ninerwinner:
No way we let him go...He's a 2-ton stone when on his game(try and move that)... if he's doesnt make the play he assists our D by redirecting the play towards the help

He is very influential vs. the run. Rushing the passer is not his duty as much as to occupy, close gaps, and force flow to the LB's. We probably have the best 3-4 D Line in the NFL, and Ice is a large part of that.
Sopoaga keeps the defense honest, his sack numbers are low due to taking on two blocks the majority of the snaps he plays, he has to be accounted for and makes others better around him, Franklin wouldnt have had such a great year if Soap wasnt playing next to him, Soap actually cleared up space for him to move around and be more effective.

Soap deserves more credit for his hard work
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Sopoaga keeps the defense honest, his sack numbers are low due to taking on two blocks the majority of the snaps he plays, he has to be accounted for and makes others better around him, Franklin wouldnt have had such a great year if Soap wasnt playing next to him, Soap actually cleared up space for him to move around and be more effective.

Soap deserves more credit for his hard work

I've like Sop for a while. I am glad that he is doing his part. It would be nice if he could also get a few more sacks but he seems to be occupying enough oline to let the linebackers do their job. So he is contributing. It is Balmers turn to develop into a 3-4 DE. Until then Do your thing - Sop.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Stats don't always tell the whole story. Soap has been a tremendous player on D, and has made a huge impact on the run D.

Exactly..and the stat we need to really look at is how Sopoaga frees up Mannyn to set the edge, make TFL's and stops.
First of all I understand that his position especially as a 3-4 DE is to draw defenders and not really a stat juggernaut, but

Issac has made a big impact this season,he's part of the reason the 49ers are #5-6 in rush defense this year.

That and most teams choose to attack us through the air instead (21st against the pass).
I agree with all the positives said of Soap, but I also think it's fair to say he has not quite met expectations of what we thought (hoped?) he would be with a few years of experience under his belt. Whether those expectations were fair or unreasonable, is another question entirely. I recall some comments back when that hinted at a future Pro Bowler because of his beastly strength. Again, fair or accurate? So far, no. Solid, valuable player? Yes.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I agree with all the positives said of Soap, but I also think it's fair to say he has not quite met expectations of what we thought (hoped?) he would be with a few years of experience under his belt. Whether those expectations were fair or unreasonable, is another question entirely. I recall some comments back when that hinted at a future Pro Bowler because of his beastly strength. Again, fair or accurate? So far, no. Solid, valuable player? Yes.

I don't fault Sopoaga for his contract (deserved IMHO). Remember, Nolan came in here and we used to run a 2-gap. Sopoaga switched from NT to (finally) LDE, back to NT and then has finally settled in at LDE and playing a true one-gap which has helped Franklin more then anything b/c he's not a Wilfork-type of player (he's a slasher). So when Franklin takes the gap, guess who has two blockers most of the time? And still, Manny is free to come up to the LOS, take on one blocker, string running plays out OR pass rush almost exclusively (like last year). Teams can rarely run inside on us esp. to his strong side. But back to the original point, THIS year he's going into the season knowing EXACTLY what his role is and should be able to put an ! point on a great season. Nolan was WAY too much into versatility and from day one, I always felt Sopoaga's best position would be LDE in our 3-4. He's a very underrated player IMHO and 2010 should be a great year for him. Once we get a true pass rusher at the SAM, you'll "see" how effective Sopoaga really is; we've already seen him help to make Franklin a franchise player (which is comical in it's own right).

[ Edited by NCommand on May 5, 2010 at 09:05:22 ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

That and most teams choose to attack us through the air instead (21st against the pass).

Hopefully that'll change when the Niners have 2 big hitters playing safety(Goldson/Mays)
Hopefully that'll change when the Niners have 2 big hitters playing safety(Goldson/Mays)

No doubt, I'm sure it will eventually. With as long as guys such as Manny, Willis, Spikes, Lewis, etc. have been in this defense, this year they should continue to emphasis turnovers and esp. work on coverage in the middle of the field, stopping screen passes, RB's out in the flat, soft zones, etc. This is a MAJOR weakness on our team. Bly was the ONLY player I saw that could defend a pass on 3rd downs. No-name WR's and TE's had a field day against us in the middle of the field. If we can work on a better pass rush from all four LB's (esp. the OLB's), blitz with Mays, play better at both CB positions, work on short yardage, etc. this defense will finally be able to get itself off the field and give the ball back to the offense. We've got the talent, that's for sure!
I've been one of Sopoaga's critics for awhile now..."solid as a rock" isn't good enough in the 3-4. Look around the league at similar DL's...just about everyone of them has three top-flight starters...DE's who can not only stop the run, but disrupt the passing game. Justin Smith is what a DE is all about...we really need a bookend to him at LDE...and, for all you Sopoaga supporters out there, he's not it. He's had more than his fair share of chances to improve and he really hasn't. That's one of the main reasons I was hoping Singletary/Baalke would've acquired a more studly DE. None of the guys they've acquired in recent years are cutting the mustard...so to me the BL is our DL won't be among the elite 'til they get a stud opposite Smith.
My question is: There was huge hype about him- He had a really good season, and then we all panicked to re-sign him. Now that we re-sgned, did the hype go away because his play dropped off after signing, or because we don't have to worry about him going to FA now? He kind of dropped off the face of the planet. What happened?
I'm pleased to see so many posts here that recognize and appreciate what Sopoaga does for us. Nothing flashy, and the "stat numbers" are not an indication of his true contributions. Sop is making around 4 mil a year, and he earns it, even if he's not getting the numbers that Justin does.

I expected everyone to be disgracing themselves by dumping on him... glad I was wrong about that. +1 to the Zoners!