There are 199 users in the forums

More Gore? 49ers are 5-0 in '09 when ...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
how is philly's run defense anyway? or their defense in general? it started out good but i dont think theyre top 5 or anything

Top 10 run defense.

...they also blitz 80 percent of the time, we need to exploit this, and use it against them. Rip a page from Green Bay's playbook, use some of those fast developing screens, and check downs, wear those guys out, then run Gore right at 'em.

I really hope Raye is gameplanning properly for Philly. They haven't changed much from last season and we had them dominated until JTO handed them the game. I remember they blitz a ton, but if we can make them pay early, the blitzes will be toned down... Runs out of the shotgun may be a good idea this week...
Gore is without question our best and most talented offensive player. While the passing looks good and helps to sate ourhunger for some offense after all these years, the truth is we need balance; when we ignore the run we are shooting ourselves in the foot by taking a superstar off the field and putting the ball into the still unproven hands of Alex Smith.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
a balanced offense is most effective.
those stats are misleading.

He's 5-0 when he's running well, not when he's running into a brick wall.

-9fA
Be careful of the difference between correlation and causation.

Does Gore run more when we are ahead? Do we pass more when we are behind? Obviously, yes. Perhaps Gore runs more as a result of, rather than being a cause of, us winning.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Those statistics are always deceiving. When you are up you try to run the ball more to run out the clock and run out the game. Of course you always win more when your RB gets more carries. That's the case for every team.

It means you were up in the game, in control and trying to run out the clock.

Gore averaged more than Chris Johnson in the TEN game but we thought it would be cute to throw 40 times and lose again. Gore is our best player.

It's not how we lost.

1) Run a reverse on the return and give the team the ball around the 10 yard line (-7 points)

2) Go on 4th down and don't get it and not take the field goal (-3 points)

3) Multiple dropped passes in the endzone for touchdowns. Right in the receivers hands.

4) Call all timeouts in the 1st 6 minutes of the game. Including one on the first play.

That's how we lost. It wasn't because we threw the ball.

Hey, I thought Alex played just fine in SEA but his last drive was disappointing. Either way, Gore needs 20 touches. I don't care if they are rushing or receiving but he needs his touches. He got 20 in the JAX game and we won. He barely got anything in the SEA game and we lost. Same thing in the TEN game. He averaged 4.5 but didn't get many touches and we lost. I sense a pattern.
Gore has been, and still is the engine of the offense. Hopefully the coaching staff finds it;s way again, and remembers who the difference makers are on the offense.

People have a microwave dinner attention span these days, and I lol when I see comments like Gore is done, or just an average player. Gore is a top running back on a team that basically never knows WTF to do on offense.
Like the Smith said...gotta be balanced.
Gore needs to have 20 carries a game (25 touches) but we have to be creative in the way he gets the touches. We have proven we just can't give him the ball 6 out of the first 7 plays or whatever. I think the fact we have been passing the ball so well, teams are not putting 9 guys in the box.

What we did vs Arizona is the kind of balance we need the rest of this year and next year.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Gore needs to have 20 carries a game (25 touches) but we have to be creative in the way he gets the touches. We have proven we just can't give him the ball 6 out of the first 7 plays or whatever. I think the fact we have been passing the ball so well, teams are not putting 9 guys in the box.

What we did vs Arizona is the kind of balance we need the rest of this year and next year.

But if you were an opposing team, who would you plan for more, Alex Smith or Gore? Teams probably feel they can get the best of Alex sooner or later during a game. Teams fear Gore more because if he gets going, they will not slow him down.

But if you were an opposing team, who would you plan for more, Alex Smith or Gore? Teams probably feel they can get the best of Alex sooner or later during a game. Teams fear Gore more because if he gets going, they will not slow him down.

I dunno man..when Smith turns it on..he's pretty good. He has something like a 100 QB rating in the last 2 mins of halves. Thats usually when we go into 2 min type situations and let Smith fly. He has ZERO ints in the red zone. So I dont know what you mean by, "get to Alex sooner or later?" Are you referring to when opposing teams blitz? He has a 95+ rating against blitzing defenses.

Originally posted by Allx9er:
folks crack me up what happen to.......

we're going to a spread offense so we need a new back

frank is washed up

looooool, was thinking the exact same thing, i swear some people never give up
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I dunno man..when Smith turns it on..he's pretty good. He has something like a 100 QB rating in the last 2 mins of halves. Thats usually when we go into 2 min type situations and let Smith fly. He has ZERO ints in the red zone. So I dont know what you mean by, "get to Alex sooner or later?" Are you referring to when opposing teams blitz? He has a 95+ rating against blitzing defenses.

We haven't won those games and besides the SEA game, Smith has not performed very well when a TD can change the lead. I just think we must take into account that most of Smiths high efficiency stats were twice when down by 20. Some may not think it makes a difference but I think it makes a huge difference.

Therefore, teams watch film and don't need to worry as much about Smith getting off as they do Gore. If Gore gets off, he won't slow down unless his OC takes his touches away.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
The reason he gets 25 carries is because we're winning. When we're down by two or three scores we need to be constantly passing to score quickly. When we're ahead we want to milk the clock by running the ball. So it's more, "If we win he will get 25 carries" than it is "If he gets 25 carries we will win".
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
The 49ers are 5-0 this season when Frank Gore gets more than 15 carries. They are 0-6 when he does not (Gore missed two additional games).

Sometimes a running back will get more carries simply because his team is winning. In this case, though, we're not talking about 20 or 25 carries. Fifteen is a relatively low figure....ESPN NFC WEST blog

When the O-line is blocking poorly, or Gore is playing poorly, or we're down by 3 TDs, you stop running the ball -- that's the reason for the statistical difference.

how is it that some people don't understand this?
Share 49ersWebzone