LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Joe Staley

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sims has been playiong really good lately, i hope Staley does well.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
This line needs serious help... its gonna take 2-3 years to fix. Staley is good (overrated on this board but good) Heitmann is very solid, but LG/RG/RT need a lot of work.

Maybe two seasons for a full re-tool, but significant improvements can and should be made in spring 2010 . .

Staley and Heitmann are the nucleus and I don't think they're going to give-up on Rachal. For RT I think we should re-sign Pashos and make him compete with our future 1st round draft pick for the starting position.

LG is a more complicated. I know everybody would love to get Mankins (as would I) but if we have an un-capped year Mankins will be an RFA and we'd have to give up probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick depending on how NE tenders him. I'd give-up a 3rd for Mankins in a second if he was interested in a long term deal. In the end I wouldn't doubt if Baas is still in a Niner uni next summer with rookie competition.
yay he's baaack
Is Sims hurt?

If he isn't, this is stupid. For the first time this year we have become somewhat effect throwing because of good pass protection, and last game we finally brought it together with the run. Sims has been tearing it up, holding down that left side real well, he should not get pulled. He is not the problem. Staley isnt a pro bowler,he doesnt merit benching Sims IMO.
If Sims isn't hurt why not put Staley at RT???
The subject of Staley concerns the OL, and the topic of OL brings us to the news that the Rams released C Incognito, and he was promptly picked up by BUFF. Is it too bad that we didn't pick him up?
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by sicc110:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by English:
I thought I read Staley would not be back until the last game of the season? Or am I tripping?

He was either questionable or probable leading into the Arizona game and had been saying he was going to play on Monday night since earlier in the week. Given that I think it's safe to say he'll be playing Sunday.

My question is....does this disrupt our line since we have to move simms if he plays or does it help?

If Sims is fit, leave him at L and put Staley at R? I don't really want to see Sims back at R.

Good question. I think Simms would do just fine at RT. Aside from a couple exceptions he really didn't play that poorly in the few games he played last year.

I hate to see them move Sims out when the line was really starting to jell. Bass seems to be playing better with Sims next to him too.

I hope this isn't another rookie mistake by Singletary.
Not sure if it's a good idea to start Staley at LT. Lets hope his overrated ass doesn't cost us. Sims has been playing great.
we should put him in at RT or barry simms at RT
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Staley is the long term lt so he should start. But we don't have a long term right tackle and snyder is a guard playing tackle and it's not working. I can't believe im about to say this. But i'd like to see simms starting at right tackle this week until we can fix the problem in the draft this off season!

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Staley is the long term lt so he should start. But we don't have a long term right tackle and snyder is a guard playing tackle and it's not working. I can't believe im about to say this. But i'd like to see simms starting at right tackle this week until we can fix the problem in the draft this off season!

Just cause staley is the long term he automatically gets to start? Simms has outplayed him greatly this year and Joe has looked like crap. I'd like to see simms stick at LT and Staley at RT and try to keep some continuity for the rest of the season. Then in the offseason, staley goes back to LT and we will fill in RT through draft/FA

IMO
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Just cause staley is the long term he automatically gets to start? Simms has outplayed him greatly this year and Joe has looked like crap. I'd like to see simms stick at LT and Staley at RT and try to keep some continuity for the rest of the season. Then in the offseason, staley goes back to LT and we will fill in RT through draft/FA

IMO

I don't want to mess with this kids footwork to be honest. Staley gave up like 8.5 sacks last season. I don't know about this year? I say by watching both of them all season i agree that joe hasn't look nearly as good.

but then again you have to consider the talent that there also going against. can you fairly say joe is worse or better facing j. allen, and freeny vs simms and who ever the guy was for the jag's and that other guy for the seahawks...

Also switching from iform to spread. just a few different reasons are oline play is better. But i found this link about allen talking about his different pass rush moves. Allen Pass rushing moves!

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 18, 2009 at 23:25:00 ]
just play whoever gives us the best damn chance to win and get on with it
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
just play whoever gives us the best damn chance to win and get on with it

Which should be both. I could see a fight this weekend!
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Staley was much improved this year I thought.

2007--9 sacks
2008--8.5
2009--2 sacks through 7 games. Pro-rate for a full season and that's only 4 sacks on the season which is right on pace with some of the best tackles in the league.

Baas is a great run blocker. He pulls really well and he hits hard on the point of contact. He's given up 4 sacks on the year which is about 1/3 per game. I would really like to see more running plays with him pulling.

Heitmann is a really solid center.

Rachal has actually played pretty well this year. He's allowed 4 sacks this year and is starting to figure things out.

Snyder is truly awful. He's given up a whopping 8 sacks this year (9.5 last year). He can't run block either.

I hope that we use the same run blocking scheme against Philly that we did on Monday night. The AZ game used a bunch of zone blocking--and Frank was very effective. He had a couple of 30+yard runs but most were 3-5 yards and that's much more valuable to your team.

Baas is making veteran minimum anyway. If we resign him for that I'd be ok with him there. Pick up a RT through FA or the draft and I'm ok with our line.
Share 49ersWebzone