LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Joe Staley

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
I thought I read Staley would not be back until the last game of the season? Or am I tripping?

Clements is the one that they don't think they will get back until then.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
This line needs serious help... its gonna take 2-3 years to fix. Staley is good (overrated on this board but good) Heitmann is very solid, but LG/RG/RT need a lot of work.

I keep using this stat because it's important to note. Since going to a pass heavy offense during the 2nd half of the Packers game, we've only given up 2 sacks (14 quarters and counting) and one of those could be pinned on Alex holding on to the ball to long on Monday night. Add in Gore's more patient running, and we were an extremely balanced and effective offense.

Point being, the line isn't as bad as you might think, and definitely won't take "2-3 years" to fix. Rachal is still young and learning how to play....let him develop and over time, he'll be fine. Plug in a rookie LG after Baas walks and a veteran RT and we'll be ok.

I know... Rachal may turn into something next season but i've lost faith in Baas, he shows flashes like yesterday but just doesnt have it to be a starter and Snyder is a backup at best. Gore deserves better and Alex would perform better. We need a stud guard for sure in next years draft. If we can solve the RT issue then thats cool. If not I think this team can manage with Snyder or Sims at RT.

but this last game has me all confused, our two weakest positions (Oline and Safety) performed their best against a team with a top Run D, bad ass WRs and a top QB.

That was definitely impressive. Another thing to consider in terms of line play is how well the QB plays. If you have a QB that is effective through the air, makes good decisions and gets the ball out quickly, you can minimize the number of sacks given up. As a bonus, you can also help the run game, as teams are forced to drop another man in coverage.

So there's a domino effect when you start to get solid play from your QB, and we've been getting that lately.
Originally posted by BHulman:
I thought I read Staley would not be back until the last game of the season? Or am I tripping?

Clements is the one that they don't think they will get back until then.

My mistake. Too tired to post, really!
Is he coming back this week?
i could have sworn i read that if he plays, he's coming off the bench as a backup
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
i could have sworn i read that if he plays, he's coming off the bench as a backup

Well the line is kind of gelling a little bit so its possible. I dont think it will happen tho im pretty sure hes starting this sun.
  • iohk
  • Veteran
like foreal, barry sims is holding it down at LT
Look what thread is still on the first page of Niner Talk......
Originally posted by GoFD74:
This line needs serious help... its gonna take 2-3 years to fix. Staley is good (overrated on this board but good) Heitmann is very solid, but LG/RG/RT need a lot of work.

I keep using this stat because it's important to note. Since going to a pass heavy offense during the 2nd half of the Packers game, we've only given up 2 sacks (14 quarters and counting) and one of those could be pinned on Alex holding on to the ball to long on Monday night. Add in Gore's more patient running, and we were an extremely balanced and effective offense.

Point being, the line isn't as bad as you might think, and definitely won't take "2-3 years" to fix. Rachal is still young and learning how to play....let him develop and over time, he'll be fine. Plug in a rookie LG after Baas walks and a veteran RT and we'll be ok.

I agree RT/RG/LG suck but why does it have to take 2-3 years? Why can't we sign 1-2 FA's and spend 1-2 first round picks on OL? According to AB83's salary cap thread we have some money. This team has to know a min of 2 OL must be signed ASAP.
Originally posted by sicc110:
Originally posted by Gavintech:

He was either questionable or probable leading into the Arizona game and had been saying he was going to play on Monday night since earlier in the week. Given that I think it's safe to say he'll be playing Sunday.

My question is....does this disrupt our line since we have to move simms if he plays or does it help?

If Sims is fit, leave him at L and put Staley at R? I don't really want to see Sims back at R.

Staley will start this week.
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Staley will start this week.

It's official.

I gotta give it up for Sims... dude played a lot better than I would have ever thought he would.
Originally posted by susweel:
Also I think Simms is hurt.

He is so we need Staley.... Perfect timing btw.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
This should have waited until next week. Trent Cole against Staley who hasn't played in weeks is asking for trouble.
Originally posted by sicc110:
Originally posted by Gavintech:

He was either questionable or probable leading into the Arizona game and had been saying he was going to play on Monday night since earlier in the week. Given that I think it's safe to say he'll be playing Sunday.

My question is....does this disrupt our line since we have to move simms if he plays or does it help?

If Sims is fit, leave him at L and put Staley at R? I don't really want to see Sims back at R.

Sims has come out and publicly said that he's a lot more comfortable at LT and IMO, it shows in his play.

Maybe he'll have a change of heart..?

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone