There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Comments about Alex Smith on KNBR

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Who cares?

Alex Smith will be the starting QB next year whether anyone likes it or not. And guess what? Fot the first time in his career, he will have the same OC for a 2nd year.

Yah soon the excuses will run out. Its put up or shut up time for Alex and his apologists.

True! I'm not an A. Smith fan, but it has been more "put up" than "shut up" lately. He needs to be more consistent in his game and not revert to the play we saw on Monday though!
Who cares what other people think.

Also for the record they used to say the same things about Steve Young.

Hey, when I was a youngster (I'll use that as my excuse), I was bummed that they benched DeBerg for Montana. I can also remember being hyper critical of Young. Smith is a good 25 year old QB and I'm happy to have him. If he stays healthy he'll progress into a perrenial top 10 QB, and that's probably good enough.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Who cares what other people think.

Also for the record they used to say the same things about Steve Young.

Hey, when I was a youngster (I'll use that as my excuse), I was bummed that they benched DeBerg for Montana. I can also remember being hyper critical of Young. Smith is a good 25 year old QB and I'm happy to have him. If he stays healthy he'll progress into a perrenial top 10 QB, and that's probably good enough.

I remember going to a game one time and the these idiot sitting behind me were booing Steve Young the whole game. Niners were down and Steve Young led them to a game winning drive to win the game in the fourth qtr. After that I looked back at them and they looked even more mad because he just proved them wrong.

Some fans will not like a player becuase he is not another player. Im not a Alex Smith fan however I do want him to succeed. He has been playing better lately, hopefully he can continue to improve.
Originally posted by Twister68:
Originally posted by bigwads:
I was listening to the recordings on KNBR and I wanted to break my computer. There was a bunch of callers hammering Alex Smith again...as well as some of the commentators.

I simply don't get the "haters" at all. All I hear are comments about how the Niners won't go anywhere with Alex...ever. We will never make the playoffs without a "probowler" QB or a Hall-of-fame QB...this is the Niner way and nothing will never change.

The same remarks were made about Eli Manning until he won the superbowl. If the Giants would have lost that superbowl the same Eli haters would be calling up saying, "I don't care if he is a probowler" or "he just doesn't have any leadership ability."

I heard also about how the "excuses" surround Alex Smith and that's all he is...a bunch of excuses.

I am sick of this crap. The so called "excuses" that cloud Smith's career are not excuses...they are JUSTIFICATIONS...there is a big difference.

1. 6 OC's with different systems in 6 years...give me a freaking break
2. Playing with a torn shoulder...really? Is this an excuse...you haters are a joke
3. DROPPED BALLS DROPPED BALLS DROPPED BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If his WR's would actually catch his balls we would have won the Indy, Houston and Seattle games...now how's that for an excuse. And, his comp. % would be around 65% with a rating of just under 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's just a fact.

I am sick of this conversation and I am sick of the haters out there with blinders on their eyes...wake up...the dude can play.

Next year I hope that our offense does the following to utilize our personnel and AS the best.

1. Rollouts
2. Power running game
3. bootleg play action that allows AS to run
4. Shotgun

NO 3,5,7 DROPS PLEASE...THIS IS WHAT A.S. DOESN'T DO WELL, SO STOP DOING IT. But the 4 things about are what A.S. does better than average.

I respect your effort to talk sense to these...hmmm... people. But it's not gonna work. How can you convince people who loved JTO, but will never admit that Smith is any good? With facts? No way, man.
Scot McCloughan needs to see more....

Quote:
That led me to my question of the night: Has Smith, the former bust of a first-round pick, done enough to be the 49ers' quarterback in 2010 and beyond?

"He's making progress,'' said McCloughan, "Is he for sure the guy yet? I don't know. We've got three more games after tonight, and he needs to end the season strong. But we're encouraged. We're seeing more and more maturity, and he's growing in this system.

The 49ers have a rich QB history. The fans expected more out of Jeff Garcia and he went to 3 Pro Bowls.

Super Bowl or bust....This is the standard here and will always be the standard here.

At some point, Alex will have to be the MVP of this team and carry this offense on his back. Until he becomes "The Man," he will always be criticized. If you're satisfied with medicore or even just above average QB play, go cheer for the Bears.

Just making the playoffs is not good enough
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I was listening to the recordings on KNBR and I wanted to break my computer. There was a bunch of callers hammering Alex Smith again...as well as some of the commentators.

I simply don't get the "haters" at all. All I hear are comments about how the Niners won't go anywhere with Alex...ever. We will never make the playoffs without a "probowler" QB or a Hall-of-fame QB...this is the Niner way and nothing will never change.

The same remarks were made about Eli Manning until he won the superbowl. If the Giants would have lost that superbowl the same Eli haters would be calling up saying, "I don't care if he is a probowler" or "he just doesn't have any leadership ability."

I heard also about how the "excuses" surround Alex Smith and that's all he is...a bunch of excuses.

I am sick of this crap. The so called "excuses" that cloud Smith's career are not excuses...they are JUSTIFICATIONS...there is a big difference.

2. Playing with a torn shoulder...really? Is this an excuse...you haters are a joke
3. DROPPED BALLS DROPPED BALLS DROPPED BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If his WR's would actually catch his balls we would have won the Indy, Houston and Seattle games...now how's that for an excuse. And, his comp. % would be around 65% with a rating of just under 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's just a fact.

I am sick of this conversation and I am sick of the haters out there with blinders on their eyes...wake up...the dude can play.

Next year I hope that our offense does the following to utilize our personnel and AS the best.

1. Rollouts
2. Power running game
4. Shotgun

NO 3,5,7 DROPS PLEASE...THIS IS WHAT A.S. DOESN'T DO WELL, SO STOP DOING IT. But the 4 things about are what A.S. does better than average.

What I'm sick of are the excuses...

Alex needs to let all that crap go and either show the public he can play or we need to move on. IMO, he's been doing a better job of that lately; but, he hasen't shown quite enough for us to say our QB problems are settled yet...

the fans expect Montana, Young, or garcia numbers... When Young was winning passing titles it was he cant win the big game... He just had his 40th game which is equal to 2.5 years. Most everyone says that it is a players third season where things really start to take off....We are getting a glimpse of his ability. Next season all of us fans will be able to say whether or not he is the guy. 1) His weapons will all be returning with Crabtree (his late arrival has equaled some timing issues) having a full offseason workout with the team. 2) First time he will have a returning Coordinator 3) there will not be a philisophical change in scheme during the middle of the season.
Would like to see Alex invite the WRS and TEs to workout together on their own and really form that bond in hopes that they can get to a point of nonverbal communication

1. Rollouts
2. Power running game
4. Shotgun

Alex needs to let all that crap go and either show the public he can play or we need to move on. IMO, he's been doing a better job of that lately; but, he hasen't shown quite enough for us to say our QB problems are settled yet...

Let him come into training camp as the starter, with the same OC as the year before, work with his receivers through camp to get timing down and see what s happens. You might just be pleasantly suprised.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Who cares?

Alex Smith will be the starting QB next year whether anyone likes it or not. And guess what? Fot the first time in his career, he will have the same OC for a 2nd year.

Yah soon the excuses will run out. Its put up or shut up time for Alex and his apologists.

You are exactly whom I am referring to...you don't even read the post, or if you did you don't comprehend it.

Look man dont get your little feelings hurt because some big bad men on the radio said bad stuff about a QB that you love.

You sound like one of those crying Britney Spears fans.

I guess inspite of ALL OF ALEX'S vastly improved play, some just wanna b***h. If this is Murph & Mac, then U shouldn't be suprized. They were all on Shaun's nutz just swinging...& miss him
Originally posted by jaghetersofie:
What's wrong with wanting a Pro-Bowl QB instead of an average QB? All of those excuses are excuses as to why he isn't a horrible QB. They explain why it's ok that he's average, not why he's a Pro-Bowl caliber QB waiting to emerge.

If he continues to be average then in the QB driven league that is the NFL today, they need to find somebody better in order to win championships. If he turns out to be an elite QB then I'm sure nobody will complain; that is to say that they don't hate Alex, they hate his apparent lack of talent.

To be fair, he has shown glimpses but his inconsistency is still a problem. IMO he should be the starter going into next season and we'll see how good he can be. I think he can be an above-average QB but I don't think he'll be great unless he has a chip on his shoulder. He doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that all great competitors have, but I see him developing it this year and hopefully the nay-sayers will motivate him more than they will discourage him.

Agree. Alex & this offense will be much better after an offseason & training camp to help them gel & get on the same page.
I don't get why fans don't get why people are harsh cirtics on this subject.
still have not shown that he is the future ! Dude we had 7 turnovers ! and we came up with 24 points only . and one TO was inside the 20 yards . come on we should have killed Arizona by 40 or so points !

[ Edited by cNiner on Dec 16, 2009 at 12:18:10 ]
Originally posted by cNiner:
still have not shown that he is the future ! Dude we have 7 turnovers ! and we came up with 24 points only . and one TO was inside the 20 yards . come on we should have killed Arizona by 40 or so points !

Having about a 50% completion percantage with two interceptions will definately spoil your plans for scoring 40.

1. Rollouts
2. Power running game
4. Shotgun

SMith has never made excuses and never got into a public relations battle. He had every right to attack Nolan for what he did to him a few years ago but didnt'. Smith is a class guy and deserves better than what some of us 9ers fans and the organization have put him through. If anything this organization has wasted a perfectly good 1st pick by changing OCs and offensive schemes every year. I'd like to know if that has ever happened before in the history of the NFL. Having your 1st pick QB get 5 OCs in 5 years and have to learn 3 offensive systems during that time.
Originally posted by taney71:

1. Rollouts
2. Power running game
4. Shotgun

SMith has never made excuses and never got into a public relations battle. He had every right to attack Nolan for what he did to him a few years ago but didnt'. Smith is a class guy and deserves better than what some of us 9ers fans and the organization have put him through. If anything this organization has wasted a perfectly good 1st pick by changing OCs and offensive schemes every year. I'd like to know if that has ever happened before in the history of the NFL. Having your 1st pick QB get 5 OCs in 5 years and have to learn 3 offensive systems during that time.

Jason Campbell is somewhat going through that. And whattayanooo, that team stinks worse than us
The only criteria for our QB: consistency, good arm, accuracy and winning record.
ScotMc, the GM who gets to make this decision I think, says that Alex is still under review. I agree with that.
He has improved from previous years, but I haven't seen anything spectacular as yet. Let the remaining games play out...the entire off-season is there to figure this out.
I just hope Alex understands the opportunity he has and makes the best of it.
Time will tell.