LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 187 users in the forums

Does Special Teams Coordinator Al Everest Get Fired?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Special Teams Coordinator Al Everest Get Fired?

Weve been weak on special teams all year, when rossum lost his jets we were screwed. You can argue that bad special teams play cost us 2+ wins this season, personally id like to see a new s/t cordinator brought in.
This upcoming draft is full of players with good return man skills.

- CJ Spiller
- Mardy Gilyard
-Jordan Shipley
-Dexter McCluster
- Jacoby Ford
- Javier Arenas
- Syd'Quan Thompson

And probably more I'm forgetting...
No. No. No. No. No. Fire him because we have Arnaz Battle returning punts? No. Sounds like a personnel problem.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Weve been weak on special teams all year, when rossum lost his jets we were screwed. You can argue that bad special teams play cost us 2+ wins this season, personally id like to see a new s/t cordinator brought in.

Rossum lost his jets?

Didn't he have a return for a TD this year that was called back on a bogus penalty? Block in the back I believe it was.

Hmmmm so much for loss of jets.

Chalk his being cut as to loss of mental faculty by McCloughan. Cause keeping a scrub on the roster over an older "slower" Rossum was just stupid. If Rossum got injured, hey no big deal there. You deal with it. That's part of the game. NOBODY would have picked Spurlock off the waiver wire. You go back to him and give him a pat on the back and let him know that it's part of the NFL experience and hope that he can at least fair catch reaasonably well enough that it doesn't bit ya in the arse.

Cutting Rossum cost us this season imho.

AR=ZERO fumbles.

Everyone else= 7 of the buggers.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Don't know. But I don't think so. Our coverage units have been very good. One good play by Percy Harvin early in the year, but it happens sometimes. Other than that, we've been fine.

Kick Return Stats

Returns--Yds--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--49ers
42--------930-----22.1----76----0

Returns--Yds--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--Opponents
52-------1127----21.7----101----1

We are ranked 21st in the NFL in KR

Punt Return Stats

Returns--FC--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--49ers
41--------11----4.0------14-----0

Returns--FC--Yds/Ret--Long--TD--Opponents
49--------12----8.3------42-----0

Plain and simple we suck on ST and have sucked since PS when we had Rossum. This has been a major issue all year and needs to be addressed. Just like being ranked 23rd for O Line (33 sacks allowed) isn't good enough and people want a new O line coach....we should be calling for a new ST coach as well.

Finding a talented KR/PR will do far more than hiring a new ST coach.

Our opponents 21.7 yds/KR average would place 22nd (and we've only faced 2 teams all year ranked lower than 22nd). Meaning our coverage unit hasn't been the problem.

Wow. I know we are awful at fielding kicks, we simply can't catch the ball or even run with it half the time if we do, but I had no idea our longest punt return of the year was 14 yards. That is just pathetic. If we don't address this in the off season somebody should be fired.
Share 49ersWebzone